Chapter 32: Regret
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back at Freud.

"She is still unstable right now and will need real help. There is not much we can do here," the elder said. He was very old and wore a long robe like that of Folk. He had an air of power and mystery, being the great elder in Freud.

"We will bring her back to Alden," Neo said, casting a concerned gaze at the figure lying in the bed. His heart ached. He knew he could have avoided it but didn't do anything. That was the right thing to do; he knew it. He firmly believed it now, he thought to himself. He opened the door about to leave, but then again, he halted his steps. Was it really the right thing to do, or was he simply trying to convince himself now that it had happened?

The path of necessity demanded courage and a steadfast heart. Neo was reminded, once again, of the pain that accompanied doing what was right—a sensation he had hoped to forget.

"I know those eyes," the great elder suddenly said. Neo turned to face the man. "Those of one who has given up everything. It's not only because of this little girl here, right?" he continued.

Neo's eyes flickered, but he shook his head. "To receive, you must give; that's the fundamental law of the universe," he asserted. "I agree, but the universe... is vast and full of opposing forces that furiously clash against each other. But despite that, it has never changed; it is still as vast as at the beginning of time."

"Thank you, elder," he bowed slightly, showing his respect. He found it hard to dispute the wisdom in the old man's words. Indeed, the elderly often held profound insight.

"I would like to speak with your little friend. Let him know I will be waiting in the sacred ground," the elder stated, offering no further explanation.

...

Amarok strolled the streets of Freud. The people kept shooting him stares. He couldn't care less. The great elder had already said they could stay after they brought back Gian.

Amarok exhaled, his steps uncertain. He suddenly kicked into the pebble before him. His eyes. The pebble didn't move, but his foot was hurting like hell. He sat on the ground in anger, his eyes slightly red. Why was he so weak that even a little stone could hurt him?

The exact same thing had happened once more. He had thought that leaving Wandleaf he would grow stronger and be able to protect himself. But nothing had changed; he still had to rely on others. To think he wanted to find a cure that the strongest in the past generation were unable to find. He laughed at himself—how delusional. "I am useless and incompetent. I even learned with the great Graham Freud, but it hasn't changed anything."

He started thinking that maybe what Neo said back at Wandleaf was true—he simply had no talent at all.

He met two familiar figures. It was Dwland and Yuni, both waved as they approached him. "Hey Amarok, what are you finding on the ground?" Yuni asked puzzled. "Are you playing a game?" Dwland ran to his side with his eyes full of eagerness.

Wisdom jumped on Amarok's head, rushing to the little Dwland. Dwland was full of a smile as he caressed the figure. "You're not taking good care of Wisdom," he suddenly said.

"Why would I? He keeps running to you every time," Amarok said with a tinge of annoyance.

"Why are you here?" Amarok sprang back to his feet. "Thank you," Yuni suddenly said, her eyes slightly teary; a beautiful smile bloomed on her face. His heart was shaking looking at her. She was barely older than him, her face full of life, a sharp contrast with their first meeting.

He couldn't help but smile, forgetting himself for a second. It was so beautiful to have siblings. His mood swayed, his mouth arched once more, thinking he didn't have any left.

"It's nothing. What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be with Gian?" he asked. "We came looking for you. I want to show you something," she said with a mysterious smile. "Amarok, she is trying to trick you," Dwland quickly said.

"You," she glared, slightly ashamed. This little devil's words could easily be misunderstood. After all, she was slightly older than him.

Amarok smiled, his curiosity piqued. "Lead the way," he added. The trio went deeper into the town.

Soon, there were no houses nearby. A large lake suddenly appeared all over the horizon. The interesting thing was the lake was going so further away that it looked like it had no end. It had a vibrant hue above it, creating a dazzling view, a real delight for the eyes. Amarok was startled speechless at the sight.

Observing his face, Yuni chuckled. She too had the same reaction the first time. "It's the Infinite Lake," she said lightly.

"According to the great elder, it was built by a very talented boy of Freud. He was the only one who had ever succeeded to leave this place," she said with a smile as she stared at the horizon.

"Graham Freud?" he asked with a smile. Yuni's eyes widened as she rushed to close his mouth and stared around. Dwland jumped in fright to shake his head with his hands.

Amarok was once more curious. What was happening? Yuni was standing inches away from him. Up close, she looked even more amazing.

"It's taboo here," she quickly said. Then heaved a sigh of relief; no one had heard them. "Sorry," Amarok quickly said, not pursuing the matter despite burning with curiosity. What in the world was happening here?

"Some legends say the Infinite Lake can cleanse the soul of its problems," Yuni continued. "Is that even possible?" Amarok's eyes were incredulous as he came closer.

The lake looked strange. It seemed to be in continuous motion, with light ripples waving through it. A face appeared in the water's reflection.

Amarok blinked; it wasn't him but another person.

0