Chapter 37: Special Test
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Wow, Alden Academy is very popular," Amarok said, casting his gaze at the numerous people on their way. "It's normal; Alden is one of the largest cities in Lower Elysium. All youth in the region want to study here," Mist said with some pride.

On their way, they attracted a lot of stares. The people's gaze was curious, something envious. After all, he was being personally escorted to the academy.

"Any idea why we are here today?" he asked puzzled. "You will find out," she replied without glancing at him. Amarok smiled awkwardly, unsure of the reason for this treatment.

They arrived at a huge open building. Slightly above, it had paths that connected the circular building, going straight into the sky. At it Center a huge water pool. It wasn't surprising since underneath water flowed .  This was the . It had a large number of people. At the forefront stood an Arcana elder, dressed in a long dignified robe. Behind him, a woman sat. She wore a long white-blue vest with a trailing coat, looking clean and striking. Her long hair stood tied behind, her hand rested on the armchair as she leaned on it.

Next to her were rows of women slightly younger. They all wore the same attire but no one was sitting.

Noticing Amarok's gaze on her, she frowned. She was used to people staring at her but felt something was off in his gaze.

"Who is that woman?" he couldn't control his curiosity.

Hearing his question, someone ahead turned with a mocking smile. Mist held her face, feeling embarrassed by his question. "From which hole are you from? That's the Celestial Guardian Aetherial," the person said with a haughty tone.

"It's but normal he doesn't know about the Celestial Guardian. He comes from a secluded village," a familiar voice broke out.

Amarok's face darkened; it was Kleid again. Their eyes locked, and he could feel his temperature rising, his blood boiling.

"What's with that look? You should know your place, peasant. Mist, I don't understand why you stay around such people. It would only tarnish your reputation," he said.

"Get the hell out of here! Do you have a death wish?" she glared, not taking their comments anymore.

They all shifted in fright. It was her, this crazy woman again. He didn't dare to linger anymore. Kleid frowned but didn't move. "Your reputation is indeed as they say. One piece of advice, though; with such aggressiveness, I don't think you will have any friends," he held a sly smile.

Mist stepped forward, the crowd retreated, but Amarok quickly blocked her path. He was the stranger here; if anything happened, he would probably be kicked out.

They all stared at Amarok with a hint of mockery and superiority.

" That's the celestial guardian Aetherial second only to the high enchantress. They are responsible for enforcing law and order in the entire lower elysium " josn arrived from the side. 

Amarok eyes flickered as he took another look. He was dumbfounded to say the least.  They were all women and beautiful women at that. 

"This year, once again, we have a special guest. The Aetherial Midrel has graced us with her presence," the Arcana elder announced, his voice capturing everyone's attention.

"It's nothing, Arcana Elder. Please ignore me and just continue," she said with a polite smile. The elder nodded in satisfaction; she was not complacent despite her status and showed great respect to the elder. The youth all smiled in admiration, especially the ladies. Every single one of them aspired to reach her level, all but a few.

Of all the Aetherials that had existed, she was certainly the most famous, which was why Amarok's question had provoked such a reaction.

"It has come to the Headmaster's ears that some very talented individuals have arrived in Alden. We all know the exams to enter the academy have already ended, but the Headmaster wants to give Arcana Elder Calder a chance and wants the people he selected to undergo the special test," he finished. The crowd erupted in an uproar.

"The special test! Many have only heard of it. It is a special exam organized by the Arcana elder. In this trial, participants must prove outstanding abilities during different stages. It is said that those who succeed in this exam often become elites in the future. The current Headmaster and the City Lord had both gone through it and succeeded.

Many talented people had tried over time but had all failed. Some people were unsure if it was a chance or just an ingenious way to test those chosen by Arcana Elder Calder.

"Miss Lyra from the Frostmoor clan, Kinty the Invincible..." the Arcana elder paused for a second, straining his eyes as if he had read correctly. "...Amarok," the elder concluded.

A total of twelve participants stood out from the crowd. Kleid's face turned ugly when he saw Amarok but then shook his head. He was much more talented and was already a Rune Warrior's Disciple. Amarok was a nobody with no rank and no rune weapon. They were like heaven and earth. He nodded, his smile reappearing. It was the special test, after all. There was no way Amarok would succeed.

"The special test is divided into two phases. The first phase will start in a few minutes. Get ready," the Arcana elder said swiftly.

The crowd murmured and commented. They didn't expect it to be this fast. Were the elders in a hurry? Many questions popped up.

"This is bad," Mist's face showed uncertainty. "You have to pass this at all costs," she declared once Amarok returned.

"It looks like a good thing, but it is not. If you fail, that will imply Master Calder's judgment was faulty, and he would lose all his say in the academy. He would stand as if not being there. You can't let that happen. Master has great ambitions for Alden Academy," Mist explained.

Amarok turned serious. He could feel the pressure mounting. Not only that, but he still needed to find more information about his curse. Alden Academy's library would be the best place for that, but he needed to be a student to access it.

Otherwise, he would have to wait until next year. That was too long. He had no other option; he needed to pass. But could he really do it? His abilities could barely be considered average. Would that be enough against all those talented people?

What if he failed? Would he have to wait a year? Amarok wanted to believe he could do it, but at the same time, he didn't want to be delusional, fearing a violent fall back to reality. The fear of falling was consuming him.

"You can count on me," he said with slightly trembling hands, yet his eyes were full of determination.

0