Chapter 7: A fateful reunion
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  “I am Lyra Belle, the Chief of the West District Police Station. I apologize for the misconduct of my subordinates. However, since you have assaulted law enforcement officers, we must detain you. You have the right to remain silent and the right to an attorney. If no one bails you out, you will be held for at least forty-eight hours,”Lyra Belle says. Without waiting for Caelan Dwayne to respond, she immediately directs several officers to carry out the two unconscious men, then gives Caelan Dwayne a complicated look before slamming the iron door shut.

 

  Caelan Dwayne watches numbly the group come and go, finding himself still locked up, and can't help but bitterly smile to himself. Hiring an attorney, asking someone for bail —without even a mobile phone to make a call, who could he possibly reach out to? It seems he is destined to spend the full forty-eight hours in this tiny room.

 

  Outside the room, Lyra Belle, who is visibly sweating, frowns deeply and says to Ethan Caldwell, “Captain Caldwell, I will report your conduct truthfully at the end-of-month review. Good luck to you!”She leaves a trembling Ethan Caldwell behind as she heads back to her office.

 

  Back in her office, Lyra Belle does not pause to rest. Despite her relatively few years in this police station, her sharp instincts have helped her solve many major cases. This time, she senses something different from the young man named Caelan Dwayne, which surprisingly imposes a sense of inexplicable pressure upon her. Yet, that guy is smiling so harmlessly, like someone who wouldn't hurt a fly. What exactly is she afraid of?

 

  Lyra Belle is proud and relishes the sense of having everything under control, so she promptly sets to work, mobilizing her resources to search for Caelan Dwayne's information.

 

  Swiftly, his profile is retrieved by Lyra Belle, and to her surprise, the information about Dwayne is unexpectedly scarce. After merely skimming through it, she realizes that this dossier has too many oddities…

 

  "At age five, separated from his parents, taken abroad by human traffickers…adopted by a kind couple…At twenty-three, graduated from Harvard University, with a Master’s degree in Management, returned to his home country that same year…"

 

  At the end of this overly simplistic resume, there actually is a photo of Caelan Dwayne with the dean of Harvard in front of the iconic red buildings and the eye-catching university emblem. In the photo, Caelan Dwayne’s face beams with an intellectual charm.

 

  Of course, a photo in the police database isn’t PS, but Lyra Belle still feels played. A Harvard graduate selling lamb skewers in a market? And what about the details after being adopted? There’s more than a decade missing, jumping straight to graduation?

 

  However, Lyra Belle quickly calms herself, knowing that the police database wouldn't be tampered with unauthorizedly; each individual's record is placed there by the authorities themselves. The existence of Caelan Dwayne's profile, riddled with obvious inconsistencies and bordering on absurdity, must have its rationale. But why would the police higher-ups allow such a flawed dossier to be entered into their system?

 

  Lyra Belle quickly considers two possibilities: First, Caelan Dwayne might be a special agent of national security, a secret operative; second, Caelan Dwayne might be a special figure that the state does not want to disclose…

 

  Lyra Belle dismisses the first option quickly; if he were a security agent, his records would be impeccably detailed to avoid suspicion. Thus, Caelan Dwayne must be a very special person, so much so that the higher-ups prefer not to mention it and don’t even bother to cover it up, just leaving an empty shell for appearances.

 

  Undeniably, Lyra Belle is not just a police officer, but also a beauty, and most intriguingly, a woman filled with insatiable curiosity! And almost instantaneously, in her mind, Caelan Dwayne morphs into a variety of personas: a daring outlaw, an internationally wanted criminal, a Golden Triangle drug lord, a scientific maniac –the list goes on.

 

  One thing is certain: Chief Belle has developed a keen interest in Caelan Dwayne!

 

  Just as Lyra Belle is pondering how to investigate this suspicious person’s background further, there is a knock on the door.

 

  “Come in.”

 

  A clean-faced young police officer enters with a flattering smile. In the officer's eyes, their chief is not only a super beauty but also an austere figure. He quietly reports, “Chief, an attorney named Smith from the East District Law Firm comes here to bail out the person named Caelan Dwayne.”

 

  ……

 

  As Caelan Dwayne walks out of the police station, slightly puzzled, he can’t understand why an unfamiliar attorney would come to bail him out, especially given the police's attitude, it's evident that this attorney possesses a remarkably influential background.

 

  At the police station entrance, the silver-haired Attorney Smith, wearing gold-rimmed glasses, shakes hands with Lyra Belle very formally, “Chief Belle, Thank you for your cooperation. It is rare for someone of your young age to hold such a position in the West District Police Station. Truly a magnanimous leader.”

 

  At this moment, Lyra Belle maintains a reserved and solemn expression, her beautiful face adorned with a formal smile. "Attorney Smith is a leading authority figure in the entire Silverport legal community. It's only natural for us to accord you special respect." Although she engages in conversation with Attorney Smith, Lyra Belle's gaze involuntarily drifts towards Caelan Dwayne, who is idly stretching beside them.

 

  Lyra Belle had not expected that Attorney Smith would suddenly come to bail out Caelan Dwayne. Although Attorney Smith refrains from divulging the identity of his client, the individual who can enlist the services of this esteemed, seasoned attorney must undoubtedly be a prominent figure in Silverport. That such a person would intervene on behalf of Caelan Dwayne, a humble street vendor selling lamb skewers at the market, confirms Lyra Belle's suspicions beyond doubt –Caelan Dwayne's background is anything but ordinary.

 

  After leaving the police station, Caelan Dwayne, with a modest smile, says to Attorney Smith, "Well... thank you for your help; otherwise, I would have been stuck in that interrogation room for two days. You won’t believe it, I've promised to visit a friend's home tonight. What a headache..."

 

  Watching Caelan Dwayne’s awkwardly amused expression, Attorney Smith becomes curious. Originally unclear why he was asked to bail out this young man, he now sees something extraordinary in Dwayne. From his calm demeanor inside the police station to his relaxed and joking nature upon leaving, this young man certainly possesses an exceptional temperament.

 

  Setting aside any initial disdain, Attorney Smith chuckles and says, "Mr. Dwayne, there's no need to thank me. I'm merely fulfilling my duty as entrusted to me; the person you should be thanking is ahead of us."

 

  Following the direction indicated by him, Caelan Dwayne suddenly sees a red sedan parked on the roadside.

 

  Caelan Dwayne only glances once and immediately becomes interested. The car is a Lamborghini Ultra, and this model is very rare, selling for at least $3.5 million. Anyone who can casually drive such a car must be extremely wealthy.

 

  After bidding farewell to Attorney Smith, Caelan Dwayne leisurely strolls over to the side of the Lamborghini. Peering into the driver's seat, his expression freezes before he lightly chuckles, "It's actually you?"

 

  On the pure black leather seat, an urban beauty clad in a crisp white chiffon dress leans casually, with a face as pure as water. Her light-gold hair was neatly tied up high, and her exquisite and beautiful face was half-hidden behind large crystal sunglasses. undoubtedly, she exudes an air of cool detachment and simultaneously captivates hearts with stunning beauty.

 

  The car window rolls down, and this beauty doesn’t look at Caelan Dwayne again, simply stating, “Get in.”

 

  Caelan Dwayne, unabashed, chuckles as he gets into the car and even comfortably shifts around to adjust the seat’s height and width, wearing a warm expression of meeting an old friend, “You left so early this morning, I was curious whether I’d ever see you again. Didn’t expect you to come to the police station to bail me out so soon. Is this what people call fate?”

 

  Turns out, this stunning beauty is the strange woman from his encounter last evening.

0