Chapter 8: Unexpected odd marriage proposal
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  "What a fateful reunion!"

 

  Observing the frosty expression on the woman's face, Caelan Dwayne's mind drifts back to their passionate night together; she seems like an entirely different person now, which prompts him to joke a bit.

 

  "If you don’t speak, no one will take you for mute."

 

  Without indulging in further conversation, the woman steps on the gas, and the car quickly leaves the police station. About ten minutes later, they stop at a high-end cafe by West City Square.

 

  Walking past a huge fountain, Caelan Dwayne follows the silent woman into the cafe. It seems she has reserved a private room in advance. Following the waiter’s lead, they head to a secluded corner on the second floor, surrounded by lush green plants, giving the spot a tranquil ambiance.

 

  “Miss Rivers, what would you and this gentleman like to drink?”the polite male waiter asks with a smile.

 

  The woman is a regular here, she takes off her sunglasses, revealing a stunning face that would quicken the pulse of most men. Miss Rivers calmly orders, “St. Helena Coffee, with milk, no sugar.”

 

  Caelan Dwayne flips through the menu, frowning and pondering, then he closes the menu and says with a toothy grin, "Um... a cup of green tea then? Not a high-quality one, just the cheapest."

 

  The waiter’s smile stiffens, and he awkwardly responds, “Sir, we’re the most high-end cafeby around, we don’t have tea, especially the cheapest green tea…”

 

  "Uh..., a glass of water then? And does it cost?" Caelan Dwayne asks, perplexed.

 

  “Um... we do have water, but sir, are you sure that’s all you need?”the waiter looks at Caelan Dwayne strangely, seemingly unable to comprehend that a friend of such a goddess-like figure would order just water.

 

  The aloof woman glancing out the window suddenly turns to look at Caelan Dwayne and tells the waiter, “Give him a cup of Molokai Coffee.”

 

  “Certainly, Miss Rivers.”The waiter, relieved, quickly exits.

 

  Caelan Dwayne’s expression turns a mix of frustration and complicated, "Listen, Miss... Miss Rivers, right? Okay, I don't have the money for this coffee, about $150 a cup. How many skewers of lamb would I have to sell to pay for it?!"

 

  “Oh…I’ll pay for it,”she says, her brows furrowing, clearly impatient.

 

  “It’s not about whether you pay or not, it’s that my income doesn’t allow me to drink such expensive coffee. Besides, as a fully capable, literate man, how could I covet a coffee paid for by a young lady? You should know, that although I’m poor, I’m honest, not some petty swindler. If I wanted coffee, I’d earn it myself, though I don’t even like coffee that much…”

 

  “It’s my treat, not something you covet!”she nearly collapses as she speaks, this man, inviting him for a cup of coffee and yet so much unnecessary talk!

 

  Yet Caelan Dwayne remains serious, solemnly saying, “Miss Rivers, as the saying goes, a gentleman does not partake in food that is not honorably obtained. This is charity from you. It doesn’t matter if you look down on my income or my social status—yes, I’m just a skewer vendor. But you can’t insult my personality, trample on my self-esteem…”

 

  “Enough!!!”

 

  Serena Rivers slams her hand on the table and abruptly stands up, her full bosom heaving, "Cut it out! I don't have time for this nonsense!"

 

  As soon as her words drop, the still babbling Caelan Dwayne immediately halts, his face breaking into a faint smile, “Ha-ha…Miss Rivers, this is much better. You’re young, be more expressive, don’t always be so stern. You look even more charming when you’re angry than when you’re cold.”

 

  “You…”Utterly unladylike, Serena Rivers sits back down, her dazzling almond eyes glaring at Caelan Dwayne, “I don’t have time to listen to your nonsense, there’s something I need to discuss with you.”

 

  “Go ahead, what is it?”Caelan Dwayne casually leaves his leg over the leather seat, kicks off his rubber slippers, and starts picking at his toes. It’s getting hot, and his foot itches—Dwayne considers whether he should buy some ointment.

 

  Seeing this, Serena Rivers hesitates, instinctively covering her cute little nose, frowning, “Could you not do that? It’s disgusting.”

 

  Caelan Dwayne laughs nonchalantly, “Hey if it itches, I scratch. It’s only natural. Why suffer?”

 

  Serena Rivers swears that in her entire life, this is the first time she has encountered someone so shameless. Although she has learned through initial acquaintance that this person is merely a street vendor selling lamb skewers, what can she do? The fact that she has become involved with him cannot be altered. For what comes next, she can only accept this sad mistake...

 

  “Caelan Dwayne…”

 

  “Wait!”Caelan Dwayne interrupts Miss Rivers again.

 

  “What's wrong?”Serena Rivers is visibly annoyed, her face flushing with irritation.

 

  Caelan Dwayne says somewhat sheepishly, “Miss Rivers, look, you know my name and also know that I was arrested by the police. You’ve looked into me. But I don’t even know your first name, so you said you wanted to talk to me. Isn’t that a bit…”As he speaks, he greedily eyes Miss Rivers, licking his lips.

 

  “Serena Rivers, ... Can we discuss the matter now?”Serena Rivers suddenly regrets her decision. The man before her is entirely different from the honest man she imagined. However, she has made up her mind and there’s no turning back, so she only keeps going through with it.

 

  “Serena Rivers…”Caelan Dwayne seems to savor the name softly, “Nice, it suits you.”

 

  “My grandpa chose it, but that’s not the point. Now, I need you to do something,”Serena Rivers feels disgusted hearing her name from this scoundrel’s mouth.

 

  Caelan Dwayne looks wary, “Miss Rivers, you’re not going to ask me to repay you for bailing me out, right? I don’t have money, just a worthless life.”

 

  Seeing Caelan Dwayne’s pitiful act, Serena Rivers feels a wave of disgust and turns away without another glance, “Marry me.”

 

  Seeing Caelan Dwayne putting on a 'very pitiful' expression, Serena Rivers felt a wave of disgust and couldn't bear it. She turned her head and said, "Marry me."

 

  “What?!!”

 

  "Marry me..." Serena Rivers's face flushes with a rosy hue, repeating herself, her voice as quiet as a mosquito's hum.

 

  Caelan Dwayne still doubts his ears and cautiously leans closer, asking dryly, "Miss Rivers, could you clarify that? I feel like I might be hallucinating..."

 

  "You’re not hallucinating," Serena Rivers seems to make up her mind, her expression turning cold again, "I said, I want you to marry me! Right now!"

 

  Caelan Dwayne can't help but respond with a bitter smile, "Miss Rivers, this is too... too hasty, isn’t it? Just because we slept together once doesn't mean we should get married. Marriage is a life-long decision, and I think you need to think about it carefully and not be impulsive."

 

  Serena Rivers shakes her head directly, "I'm not a child, I know what I'm doing. I'm not young anymore, and it's time for me to get married. I just haven't found the right person... Of course, don’t think you’re the right one. Just, due to certain reasons, what happened last night occurred..."

 

  Her cheeks involuntarily flush as she mentions this, but she quickly continues, "I can tell you clearly, that I am a conservative woman. Rather than being forced to marry some other man I'm not familiar with and dislike, I'd rather choose you, at least I gave my first time to you."

 

  Caelan Dwayne contemplates for a moment, his smile tinged with sarcasm, "Miss Rivers, I understand what you mean. The marriage you want is merely a facade, and as the fake husband playing along, compared to other candidates, I am the one you deem easiest to manipulate, right?"

 

  Serena Rivers feels a bit uncomfortable because her purpose is exposed, but she nodded without denying, "Caelan Dwayne, I can assure you that if you cooperate with me, in three years at most, once my career is completely established, we'll go our separate ways, free from any obligations. Furthermore, I will give you a substantial reward, more than you’d earn selling lamb skewers in ten lifetimes."

0