Ch 5: A Calm Before the Storm
79 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Early as ever, little Mu Han skipped down the unpaved path towards Lu Shimming's cottage, eager for their morning chores. A cool breeze ruffled his hair as he descended the steep hill.

His eyes lit up when he spotted Lu Shimming outside his cottage. He was standing there with an axe in his hand. As Mu Han was about to call out to him, Lu Shimming suddenly sprang into action. His movements became a blur, the axe seemingly dancing around him in intricate arcs.

"Whoosh!"

Lu Shimming lunged forward, delivering a powerful slash that flowed into an upward swing before culminating in a forceful downward chop.

"Whoosh!"

With a final flourish, Lu Shimming stopped his movements and laid the axe to rest.

A bead of sweat trickled down his forehead. It had been a while since he practiced with a weapon, and his skills seemed a little rusty.

He was up early because he couldn't get back to sleep after failing to conquer the 93rd step in the Dream Land. It was truly frustrating.

But, he wouldn't let it discourage him. After all, it had taken him more than a year to reach his first ten steps. And, now he could conquer several in a single night. He had certainly come a long way. The more time he spent there, the more empowered he felt. It was as if the place was his own domain.

"Woah! That was incredible!"

A voice brimming with excitement pierced Lu Shimming's thoughts, reminding him it was almost time for the little guy to arrive.

"Senior Lu! You never mentioned being an axe expert! Was that the Blossoming Fury?" Mu Han couldn't contain his excitement, bouncing around Lu Shimming. "Wait a minute! Blossoming Fury is a sword technique.."

Mu Han suddenly stopped short, his face etched with confusion. It felt off. He was certain the movements resembled the sword technique, but Senior Lu was clearly wielding an axe.

Lu Shimming couldn't help but be amused by the little fella's bewilderment. "Don't overthink it. It's just years of chopping wood that honed those swings into a self-taught technique, you could say."

"Really?" Mu Han eyed him with suspicion. Something definitely felt amiss here. The practiced ease with which Lu Shimming wielded the axe hinted at more than just woodcutting.

"Absolutely," Lu Shimming smiled. "I call it Morning Wood." He expected a laugh, but Mu Han, too young to understand the innuendo, simply asked,

"Can you teach me Morning Wood?"

Lu Shimming choked back a laugh, regretting the attempt at humor. "We're running late for work. I'll teach you later," he said, hurriedly changing the subject and heading towards their chores, with Mu Han trailing close behind.

Servants' Quarters, South Gate.

A small group of people had gathered in a rough courtyard within one of the quarters. These were servants of the South Gate, summoned by their leader, Tie Niu, a man whose scowl could curdle milk.

"No mistakes this time," Tie Niu scanned their faces with a menacing glare. The air crackled with his unspoken threat.

The group of people nodded, their faces etched with fear and helplessness. "Understood," they mumbled in unison.

"Good. We begin at sunset. Be in your positions, and remember, silence is paramount." With that, Tie Niu dismissed them.

A girl named Mei Ah, whose beauty was more like a cheerful spring flower than a stunning peony, approached Tie Niu hesitantly. Her dark hair was pulled back in a neat braid, and her kind eyes, rimmed with a slight redness, held a flicker of determination.

"I'll do it," she declared, her voice barely a whisper but laced with steel.

A wicked smile slithered across Tie Niu's face. This unexpected volunteer was a stroke of luck. This was turning out easier than expected.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, bathing the sect in twilight, Lu Shimming walked back from work, lost in thought about his next steps in the Dream Land. Reaching the hundredth step felt within reach, he could sense it.

"I'm hungry," Mu Han's stomach grumbled in protest.

Lu Shimming patted his head fondly. "We're almost there. Today is Lei Bao's cooking duty. We're in for a treat."

The mention of Lei Bao's cooking lit up Mu Han's eyes. While the guy might not excel at other things, his culinary skills were legendary. Sometimes they wondered if he was in the wrong profession.

"Something feels wrong," Lang Jun, walking beside Lu Shimming, suddenly stopped and turned towards two figures talking in the distance. He quickened his pace towards them.

"Lang Jun..." Lu Shimming reached out to stop the guy, but it was already too late. The man had vanished beyond his sensing range, leaving Lu Shimming clueless about his whereabouts.

"This way, Senior Lu," Mu Han's voice provided a sense of direction for Lu Shimming.

"Are you from the South gate?" Lang Jun's irritated voice cut through the air.

"Huh?" The man, engrossed in conversation with someone else, turned around. "Yes, I am. Is there a problem?"

"Don't play smart with me," Lang Jun grabbed the man's collar, ready for a confrontation. "I've seen several like you around our area since morning."

"Calm down, Lang Jun," Lu Shimming intervened, trying to defuse the situation.

"Senior Lu, these troublemakers are up to no good again. We can't let this slide, not after what happened to Jin Ho," Lang Jun’s anger had a cause.

"Think about Senior Lu. If something happens, then..." Mu Han tugged at Lang Jun's sleeve, his voice trailing off.

Reluctantly, Lang Jun released the man. He knew confronting him alone could escalate quickly.

"That's more like it," the man smirked, adjusting his collar.

Lang Jun suppressed his anger, vowing silently. 'Cross paths with me alone, and you'll regret it.'

Lu Shimming heard Mu Han's voice and felt a mixture of relief and discomfort. He didn't like the situation being defused due to his perceived weakness.

Returning to their quarters, they found Lei Bao surrounded by other servants, being scolded.

"I tried to stop him, but he wouldn't listen," Lei Bao lamented, on the verge of tears.

"What's happening here?" Lu Shimming inquired, his brows furrowing in concern.

But, the words that came next left him with a frown on his face.

1