Chapter 6
33 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Today, Principal Brandon White arrived at Donvalley High School while driving his brand new car. His third one exactly. Bought within mere two months after he bought his second one. And they’re not your run-of-the-mill cars either, as each of them costs at least half-a-million.

   White is a fairly new principal at Donvalley High, as he only became its principal around a year ago, which was four months after Jonathan enrolled into the high school.

   Soon after White took over the old principal whose name Jonathan did not bother to remember, the Newspaper Club requested an interview with him and asked all sorts of questions regarding his background.

   He said that he grew up in a family of farmers, which makes him appreciates money earned through hard work. On that note, he advised the students not to look for easy jobs, but rather jobs that challenge them. He wishes to convey this message to as many youngsters as possible, which is why he studied hard to become a teacher, and eventually the principal of a school.

   He also mentioned that he was living at a modest homestead with his wife and two sons. He wanted to dedicate his whole life for the sake of educating others, which is why he did not start up a side business like a lot of the educators do.

   A former farmer that needs to feed and maintain the lives of four people without relying on a side business while driving expensive cars? Something is definitely fishy.

   Now this really begs the question, where did White get all his money? Jonathan guessed that not even he had the gall to touch the donation money donated by various people to the school, as the Donvalley High’s PTA is famous for being a nasty bunch when it comes to money. They would guard the funds zealously, and question anyone who took even a single cent like how a torturer would demand answers from a prisoner.

   Then again, it has nothing to do with Jonathan. It’s not like he himself is earning money through clean methods.

   On the same night, While Blitz was out patrolling the streets, he saw someone collapsed on the street.

   ‘Hey man, are you okay?’ Blitz went near that person and helped him up.

   ‘Y-yeah, I-I-I’m fine…’ the man stuttered.

   The man looked like he’s everything but fine. His eyes are extremely bloodshot and his lips are pale. Also, he keeps making sound that indicates that he will vomits soon.

   Blitz carried the man on his back. ‘Come on, let’s get you to the hospital.’

   ‘W-What? No, there’s no n-n-need for t-t-that!’ the man struggled.

   ‘Are you even listening to yourself? You can’t even speak properly!’

   Ignoring the man’s protest, Blitz went straight for the nearby hospital. His appearance caused more than a few raised eyebrows, but everyone there was either too sick or too busy to actually do something.

   After the man was admitted, Blitz waited patiently for the diagnosis. He was rather curious of the reason the man refused to come here.

   While waiting, an elderly woman suddenly talked to Blitz.

   ‘Excuse me, young man. You are Blitz, correct?’ the elderly woman asked him.

   ‘Yes ma’am, how may I help you?’

   ‘You see, my grandson had to come here after he consumed Felicità.’

   Blitz thought he had heard it wrong, so he had to hear it again. ‘I’m sorry ma’am, but could you repeat that?’

   ‘Like I said, Felicità has started to appear again! Didn’t you destroy the lab?’

   After Blitz had destroyed the lab that produced the infamous drug, Hendriks did a thorough crackdown on the remaining drugs. Every single buyer and seller were arrested and charged, the drugs in their possession confiscated and destroyed. The operation was put on hold during and a few days after the world leaders’ meeting, but resumed the moment the police had recovered from their surgery.

   Through their hard work, Desordre was finally free from the life-ruining drugs, or so Blitz thought.

   ‘Yea ma’am, I’m absolutely positive that I did.’

   ‘Then where on earth did my grandson got his hands on those accursed things from?’

   ‘I-I don’t know ma’am.’ Blitz replied guiltily.

   ‘Oh, please don’t misunderstand. It’s not that I’m blaming you for it. It’s, it’s just that after all you and the police did, it seems unfair that the drugs has resurfaced again.’

   ‘I see, thank you for your words.’

   At this moment, the doctor who was in charge of the man came out.

   ‘Doctor, please tell me he didn’t touch Felicità.’ Blitz begged him.

   ‘Unfortunately, as a matter of fact, he did.’

   To make things worse, the doctor said this was the 83rd case this week, and that’s this hospital alone. Someone is mass-producing Felicità once again.

   ‘I don’t know if it helps, but I once saw a teenager being all sneaky at night.’ the elderly woman told Blitz after the doctor left.

   ‘A teenager? Ma’am, are you telling me that the seller is a teenager?’

   ‘I’m not sure. My grandson hasn’t wake up yet, after all, so I can’t ask him.’

   ‘Well, thank you for the information ma’am. I’ll be sure to keep an eye out on suspicious teenagers.’

   ‘You do that. But remember, be safe.’

   ‘Don’t worry ma’am, I will.’

   After Blitz left the hospital, he patrolled the street some more to look for either more dying person or teenagers that looked like they are hiding something. It was not long before he found of one the latter.

   The teenager in question was walking on the street all by himself, his eyes constantly on the lookout for someone or something. He had the look of someone who was going to do something bad, or already done it and was afraid that he would get caught.

   Blitz observed him from a distance for a while and realized that he was constantly griping and relaxing his hands while they are in his pockets, as if afraid that whatever is in them will suddenly disappear.

   Someone acting like that is just begging to get questioned.

   ‘Whatcha got there in your pockets?’ Blitz ran in front of the teenager and asked.

   The teenager was almost frightened to death by suddenly seeing Blitz appearing in front of him.

   ‘Oh, uh, nothing. Nothing at all.’ he was trying very hard not to freak out.

   ‘Then perhaps you can show me your hand.’

   Blitz then proceeds to pull out the teenager’s right hand from the pocket. Inside the palm was four invisible packets filled with round, red pills. Blitz knew what they are all too well.

   ‘Care to tell me what were you doing with these?’

   ‘I-It’s not what it looks like!’

   ‘Uh-huh. Try to convince me, then.’

   Naturally, he couldn’t.

   ‘Well, I guess you’re going to the police.’

   ‘No, please! Don’t do this to me!’ The teenager begged.

   ‘No can do. There’s something I can forgive and act stupid, but this is definitely not one of them.’

   Blitz then proceeds to confiscate the packets of Felicitàs and carried the teenager on his shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

   ‘Before I start running, I should you warn you that it’s better not to wriggle, or you might fall off and break your neck. Also, don’t talk or scream unless you want to bite your tongue.’ Blitz warned.

   With that, Blitz ran to the nearest police station, a small one with a measly two officers in it.

   When Blitz went inside, the officers stood up and put their hands on their holsters, ready to pull their guns out.

   ‘Hello, officers. I am here to make a delivery.’ Blitz told them while putting down the teenager.

   After being put down, the poor kid just stood there and made zero attempts to escape, probably realized that he will not escape this.

   ‘Did he do something wrong?’ one of the officers asked.

   Blitz showed them the drugs. ‘You tell me.’

   Their eyes widened the moment they saw the contents of the packets.

   ‘All right, we’ll take it from here.’ the officer said grimly.

   He walked over to the pale faced teenager and led him further inside the station.

   Meanwhile, his partner took out a pair of gloves from a drawer and wore them, then took the drugs from Blitz.

   ‘We’ll pretend that we never saw you.’ she told Blitz.

   ‘Much appreciated.’

   Tonight, Blitz patrolled the street longer than usual, but no longer found anyone suspicious, nor anyone in need of help. He continued until midnight, and had to stop because he needs to go to school after a few hours.

   When Jonathan woke up and checked the news, he found out that the teenager was a drug trafficker, not a consumer, and he is a student from Donvalley High. Jonathan does not know him, so he must be from a different grade.

   On the course of next few days, three more students were arrested for trafficking Felicità, all of them are also students from Donvalley High.

   The arrest on the four students had led the police to believe that more students might be part of the drug-trafficking, and so every students had their residence searched from top to bottom. Shockingly, thirty two more students were found to be in possession of the drugs. A;; of them were arrested, their parents called, and the media went wild over this scoop.

   In response to this, White had arranged a press conference. Jonathan did not remember some of the things he had said, but he did remember that they were mostly apologies. He was sorry that his students did this kind of unforgivable act. He was also sorry that he wasn’t strict enough towards his students. Lastly, he apologized to all the victims that fall prey to the drugs.

   However, Jonathan remembers something very clearly. Even with all the apologies, White did not look apologetic at all.

   During nighttime, Jonathan went to Smuggler’s Den as Blitz and asked Thomas for information regarding White and the full story of the drug incident, from how the students got their hands on the drugs to their backgrounds.

   First, Blitz looked at White’s background. He was not lying when he said he was born in a family of farmers. It’s also true that he has a family which consists of a wife and two sons. However, he lied about pretty much everything else.

   He lied about studying hard to become a teacher. Blitz is not sure about the process of becoming one, but he is certain that those interested must at least graduate high school, which was something that White failed to do. Naturally, he didn’t get a college degree nor a teaching license via a proper and legal way, but bribed his way through.

   So much for earning money through hard work.

   Blitz had always thought being at school is a huge waste of time, since the students are fed with mostly less-than-useless knowledge. And now, schools also provide jobs for undeserving people like White, and it was possible since teaching is one of the jobs where you can lie your way through if you are clever enough.

   White also lied about not having a side business. Soon after he arrived at Donvalley High, he started up a diner called Shady Tree. Blitz looked at the location of the diner. It was somewhere near Smuggler’s Den, which is to say, the dark and corrupted part of Desordre.

   Blitz furrowed his eyebrows. Why did White lied about not having a side business, and why would he open the diner at a place where normal citizens will never go near? And why a diner? Blitz read the information some more and understood the reason.

   White’s real side business is not running a diner, it’s money laundering.

   That explains a lot. Using a food business as a cover up for money laundering is very effective, as its variable cost is quite difficult to be determined.

   Lastly, White’s so-called modest homestead is a huge four-storey mansion complete with a large garden and a swimming pool, built at the middle of the place where some of the richest people in Desordre lives.

   Next, he read the report on the arrested students. When questioned, all of them gave similar stories, whereby they went back to their house one day and found a man inside their room. The man attempted to strike a deal with them: if they are willing to sell Felicità for him, they will be promised lucrative commissions. Naturally, they took the deal.

   Once every few days, the man would appear and check and their progress. If any sales were made, he would give some portion of the sales money to them as promised and take the rest. After that, they will be provided with more drugs.

   The mystery man is most probably Fucile. At least, he has something to do with this. Who else has the recipe but the former number two of the Becco Di Sangue gang?

   Blitz could barely contain his anger. Fucile is getting more and more irritating, almost as irritating as Bushfire.

   Lastly, the background of the arrested students. Turns out that all thirty six of them were either from a poor family, or suffer from a constant urge to buy things and end up getting broke.

   This confirms it. White is the main suspect of using the students to traffic the drugs. Using his authority as the principal, White checked the backgrounds of all the students from the data only accessible to staffs and chose some of the most easiest ones to convince. After that, it was the mystery man’s job.

   Granted, a private eye could have done an investigation, but it would take an extremely long time, and he might blackmail or betray his client.

   That said, Blitz still have some doubt. Would someone be that stupid to openly flaunt his wealth when a crime he is part of might be exposed?

   Blitz does not know how to find proof that White is money-laundering, but he might find clues on White being guilty of searching for candidates to traffic drugs. That said, he does not own any software used for hacking, so he left Smuggler’s Den and went to Hazel’s Electronics.

   On the surface, this store sells normal electrical appliances like televisions,fridges, ovens and others. But, if you went to the owner Robert Hazel and mutter some passwords to him, he will bring you to a hidden trapdoor located inside the storeroom. Descend and you will find the true nature of the store.

   Down at the basement, you will find numerous gadgets mostly used for committing crimes. Lasers that allow you to cut through glass, hard drive that can bypass any security in matters of seconds, basically anything you saw in a spy movie, this place has something similar or even better.

   This is the place where Blitz got his binocular sunglasses and the watch that allows him to change clothes by just pressing the glass surface.

   ‘So, what do you need this time?’ Hazel asked Blitz after they are at the basement.

   ‘Something that will let me hack a computer’s security system.’

   Hazel paused for a while before he started speaking again.

   ‘Wow. After those sunglasses and that watch, this request is pretty… normal, to say the least.’

   Blitz just shrugged off the comment.

   ‘So you got anything like that?’

   Hazel looked genuinely offended.

   ‘Please! Of course I do!’

   Hazel rummaged through a drawer and took out a silver flash drive.

   ‘This bad boy can hack through any system within five seconds, it’s one of my best work!’ he said proudly.

   ‘I’ll take it.’

   After Blitz paid for the flash drive, he picked it up and put it inside the pocket of his suit.

   ‘You really ought to get a utility belt. It might fall off while you run.’ Hazel told him.

   ‘Hmm, maybe you’re right.’

   Hazel rummaged through his drawer again and took out a black utility belt.

   ‘Here, it’s on me.’

   ‘Why thank you.’

   Blitz buckled up the belt on his waist and put the flash drive inside one of its pouches. After a moment’s thought, he puts his wallet inside another pouch.

   ‘That, must be the loneliest utility belt in existence.’ Hazel commented.

   ‘I can’t help it, it’s not like I need anything else.’

   Hazel sighed and left it at that.

   Since Blitz got what he needed, he set off to go to Donvalley High.

1