Chapter 3 – We Compare Notes
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the woman’s carriage disappeared into the mist-shrouded forest, it felt like a fleeting dream, leaving behind only the fading echoes of hooves and wheels in the night’s quietude. The only tangible reminder of the recent commotion was the stirring figure of the girl, slowly awakening. Though her face was turned away from me, I caught the soft query that escaped her lips, “Where’s my mother?”

Madame Penelope, ever maternal, responded with a gentle warmth, her words aimed at comforting the young girl’s troubled soul.

Confusion tinged her next whisper, “Where am I?” Her voice rose with a hint of panic. “I can’t see our carriage. And where’s Maska?”

Madame Penelope offered explanations as best she could, while the events of the past moments slowly began to piece together in the young lady’s mind. The realization that her mother had left her temporarily brought tears to her eyes.

I moved forward with words of solace, but Mademoiselle De Lafontaine’s firm touch on my arm stopped me. With wise eyes, she murmured, “Hold back; too many voices might overwhelm her fragile spirit.”

Plans were made to visit her once she had rested in her room. In the meantime, my father quickly dispatched a servant to fetch a doctor from a distant location, while preparations for the girl’s accommodations were underway.

Struggling to stand, the stranger leaned on Madam’s arm for support, and together they made their way across the drawbridge and through the ancient gates of our castle—a sanctuary unknown yet laden with unspoken mysteries.

Entering the echoing hall, a group of servants stood ready, poised to guide her to her chamber. Our usual gathering spot, the lounge, sprawled with its quartet of windows overlooking the moat and drawbridge, revealing the forest vista I had described earlier. Adorned in ancient oak, with heavy cabinets and chairs draped in rich crimson Utrecht velvet, it was a blend of grandeur and comfort. Tapestry-clad walls framed in gold depicted life-sized figures in archaic attire, frozen in scenes of revelry and hunting. Despite its imposing appearance, the lounge exuded warmth; it was where we gathered for tea—a nod to my father’s fondness for tradition—alongside our coffee and chocolate.

That night, we convened there, the soft glow of candles illuminating our discussions about the day’s peculiar events.

“Another cup, Madame Penelope?” I offered, extending the teapot, while Mademoiselle De Lafontaine leaned in with a conspiratorial giggle.

“Our mystery maiden has already succumbed to sleep,” I remarked with fascination in my voice. Turning to Madame Penelope, I couldn’t resist probing, “What’s your impression of her? Share your thoughts!”

Sipping her tea delicately, Madame couldn’t contain her enthusiasm. “She’s enchanting,” she revealed with a smile. “Truly, she might just be the most beautiful young lady I’ve ever seen; she carries herself with such grace and charm, reminiscent of you at her age.”

Mademoiselle leaned forward with eager anticipation, nearly spilling her tea in her eagerness. “She is bewitchingly beautiful,” she exclaimed, her eyes sparkling after sneaking an earlier glimpse at the stranger’s quarters.

Madame Penelope sighed dreamily, filled with wonder. “And oh! That voice,” she added, her expression full of admiration.

The room fell into a momentary silence before Mademoiselle leaned closer, her voice low but urgent. “But did any of you catch sight of that strange woman in the carriage? After they righted it? She never came out but just stared...”

“I only saw shadows,” I replied, a shiver running down my spine at the memory.

Mademoiselle’s narrative unfolded about the haunting figure in black with a vibrant turban who watched them from behind the glass, her eyes flashing with a hint of malice.

“And what about those ghastly men?” Madame Penelope interjected, her tone pointed.

My father’s sudden appearance interrupted our discussion as he leaned against the door frame, his expression a mix of concern and sternness. “Never have I seen such sinister vagabonds—they were quite unsettling. Let’s hope they don’t harbor ill will towards our guest.”

Pushing his spectacles up his nose, he mused aloud, “Perhaps travel weariness has drawn such dark shadows over their faces.”

Madame Penelope speculated hopefully, “The lady shall unfold her story on the morrow.”

My father, however, hinted at hidden layers with a knowing smirk, “If she is ready.” His words hung in the air, inviting us into silent contemplation of the mysteries surrounding our new guest.

Eager to uncover more, I implored my father to share the secret. “Come on, you can’t keep me in suspense!”

He relented, revealing the woman’s cautious words about her daughter’s fragility but sound mind, and her urgent, secretive journey.

“Isn’t it bizarre to state all that so plainly?” I mused, intrigued by the gravity of the woman’s mission.

My father chuckled, dismissing my confusion. “Be that as it may, she was clear and deliberate. Her stern gaze when speaking of ‘secrets’ suggested she guards a hidden truth zealously.”

I pondered his words with excitement rather than concern. “How peculiar... It’s as if we’re part of a tale where shadows whisper secrets.”

My anticipation soared, eager to meet this enigma of a girl and unravel the mysteries that seemed to cling to her like unseen currents through ancient corridors, injecting excitement into our secluded existence.

1