[FDJ]Chapter 48: The Witch of Austrasia
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hmph, the World Order?" Attila sneered, who was never one to be dictated by fate. If she had accepted her destiny, the Huns would never have witnessed the rise of a ruler named Attila. "Is that the so-called 'correct history' you mentioned to me? The history where I, the King, march east and west, destroying civilizations, only to fall before the twilight of Rome? Do you truly expect me to embrace such a history?"

Attila had never expressed her desires so openly before. As a wandering warrior who had lost her memories from a past life, she had assumed a human identity for forty-five years, experiencing emotions and desires akin to humans. And she still believed that the magus from the future, Suzuki Yuki, could understand her.

She yearned to become the conqueror of all the lands she knew in this era, forging a mighty Hun Empire that would rival the glory of Rome.

For this desire that belonged solely to her human self, Attila had tirelessly fought for the greater part of her life in this world. She refused to settle for a mere mention of her name in Roman books reaching the future.

"When the Holy Grail appeared in the burning city of Metz, I heard a call from the heavens. My wish was answered. No one can halt the iron hooves of my army any longer!"

Even though she now knew that Lancer Brynhildr intentionally placed the Holy Grail in Metz, she believed it was a decision made by the heavens for her to conquer all.

"No, it is not permissible. The World Order must be protected. Only the correct history can guide humanity towards a righteous future. Attila, you must yield to Aetius," Suzuki persisted, driven by his unwavering belief. He paid no heed to Attila's supposed desires. When it came to the World Order, he would not back down an inch. Anyone who threatened the World Order would be considered an enemy.

"Are you going to oppose me, Suzuki Yuki? My patience is wearing thin!" Attila was displeased with Suzuki's interruption. She had held high expectations for the person from the future, and now she was somewhat disappointed. "Is it just you and your Servants?"

"The World Order must be protected! If you relinquish the Holy Grail and yet still manage to defeat the Western Roman Alliance that is blocking your path, then I have nothing more to say." Suzuki found it difficult to reconcile the image of the gentlewoman before him with the conqueror who spoke of subjugating all civilizations. They might be the same person, but the attributes of a ruler overshadowed all emotions. Attila, driven by her desire, would go to great lengths to destroy anything that stood in her way.

Attila gradually stiffened, her smile fading from her face. She was truly becoming angry. She had a clear understanding and premonition of war, and without the Holy Grail, she had a high chance of being defeated by Aetius.

Aside from the military factor, Attila was also concerned about Aetius' magical prowess, which surpassed her expectations. Over the past thirty years, the young man from a foreign land, who had once excelled in trickery and magecraft, had truly become a magus, surpassing her. Without the Holy Grail, Attila would have to contemplate how to deceive him through cunning schemes, which was undoubtedly impossible.

"You speak so virtuously, but deep down, you are afraid, aren't you?" Attila pointed her sword at Suzuki, nearly causing him to kneel in fear. "If you have not learned how to submit, I will personally teach you."

Disappointed, Attila walked alone toward her horse in the distance. The human would obediently obey her commands and the thought of having Lancer control Suzuki Yuki crossed her mind. However, with a casual turn of her head, she once again startled Suzuki, causing him to lose his balance.

"Don't regret it, Suzuki Yuki," Attila said, and then mounted her horse, galloping toward her tribe's encampment.

The commanders of both armies had already returned on their own, and it seemed unnecessary for this chaotic battle to continue. Attila had Archer, while Aetius had Caster. The remaining Servants were all present: Lancer, Berserker, and two Sabers.

At this moment, Suzuki keenly felt the hostility emanating from Lancer Brynhildr. Brynhildr's giant spear ignited with a green magical flame once again, and Suzuki realized that aside from using her Noble Phantasm on Attila, Brynhildr had yet to unleash her full power. Assuming she and Attila had established a secret signal, the true extent of Brynhildr's Noble Phantasm's power was still unknown. Fortunately, Berserker had retreated to Jeanne's side, and Saber Gilles de Rais held no fondness for the treacherous Lancer. Continuing the battle would result in a situation of 1 against 3 or 1 against 2.

With these thoughts in mind, Suzuki finally felt relieved, to the point where he overlooked his previous intuition that Lancer didn't seem like a Valkyrie.

"Lancer, what exactly do you want to accomplish? Do you wish to disrupt the course of the World Order in this era?" Suzuki asked.

"As the man who came from the future, is your wish to protect the World Order?" Lancer regained her previous icy demeanor. Unfazed by the prospect of facing three Servants alone, she was as delicate as a doll. She had officially developed the intention to eliminate Suzuki. Or rather, if Attila hadn't been present earlier, she would have already moved to extinguish this uncertain factor. From her perspective, she couldn't let someone who seemed to be a mediocre individual incapable of even using magecraft properly, yet managed to pique the interest of both Attila and Aetius, go unpunished.

"Yes..." Suzuki hadn't finished speaking when Jeanne, who had been on guard against Lancer, quickly reached out and covered his mouth.

"Don't answer her question!" Jeanne, though unfamiliar with magecraft, sensed through her saintly nature that the opponent was using some form of dark magic. Given the current situation, no matter how one thinks about it, it couldn't be a benevolent blessing.

Suzuki trembled as Jeanne interrupted him. He hadn't yet realized Lancer's intentions. He believed that his Servant must have detected some danger, prompting her to swiftly cover his mouth to prevent him from speaking.

Lancer floated in mid-air and, seeing Jeanne obstruct Suzuki, voluntarily allowed the hidden magical incantation to become visible. The magic automatically faded after becoming apparent, giving the appearance of a failed activation. This magic didn't belong to the runic magic derived from nature.

"I had intended to free you painlessly. Humans should not have come to this era, and as for the World Order you care about, you cannot save it!" Lancer's magical flames grew even more powerful, tightly controlled around her body, as if Brynhildr intended to burn herself to death in the raging green inferno. The eerie familiarity gave Suzuki a delusion, and he became greatly afraid of Brynhildr being engulfed in the flames.

It wasn't just Suzuki's fear of fire; it also included scenes from his dreams where he witnessed Jeanne being burned at the stake in her past life. Ignorant crowds pointed at the praying girl in the raging flames, cursing loudly. The distorted illusions that had begun to torment Suzuki caused him headaches, and he gradually couldn't distinguish which woman was engulfed in the flames.

It wasn't just Suzuki who looked panicked; Jeanne herself was bewildered by Brynhildr's actions. Even a special Lancer-class Servant capable of using runic magic wouldn't enjoy setting themselves on fire. Moreover, Jeanne felt that Brynhildr's magical abilities went beyond that.

Was the enigmatic Brynhildr, surrounded by the green magical flames, really a Lancer-class Servant?

"Attack her, Jeanne!" Suzuki unconsciously raised his hand, pointing towards Brynhildr floating in mid-air. He couldn't withstand the stimulation from the intense fire scene and couldn't continue to ponder Brynhildr's motives or identify any weaknesses that Jeanne could exploit.

However, someone acted before Jeanne could. Faced with the seemingly unquenchable magical flames, Jeanne was also affected, and her sword-drawing speed noticeably slowed.

"Everyone, close your eyes! She's using black magic to interfere with your minds!" Saber Gilles de Rais, who was closest to Brynhildr, previously couldn't determine the reason behind Brynhildr's abnormality. But now, relying on his basic knowledge of black magic, Gilles de Rais understood the types of magic Brynhildr possessed—one being the runic magic that resonated with the name of the Norse valkyrie, and the other being dark magic imbued with heavy malicious intent.

Drawing a spare short sword he carried, Gilles de Rais forcefully threw it towards Brynhildr. The magical flames left no gaps, and the short sword, upon entering the flames, ignited and immediately produced a crisp explosion within the magical inferno.

The magical flames around Brynhildr suddenly shrank, and the intensity of the fire diminished significantly. She lowered her head and glanced at Gilles de Rais, her rigid expression twisting once again.

"Don't think that knowing a bit of black magic can hinder me!"

"That's not necessarily true. Witch of Austrasia!"

Gilles de Rais hesitated, but upon seeing Jeanne's relieved expression, he withdrew his hand from his waist pouch. He had also been influenced by black magic and had entertained the idea of using one of his items. If it weren't for Jeanne's presence, he might have taken out that bestowed item to challenge Lancer Brynhildr and see who was more skilled.

Hearing Gilles de Rais address her in that manner, Brynhildr's expression is completely distorted. She was quite pleased that someone in this Holy Grail War could see through her true identity. Titles like "Valkyrie" disgusted her from the bottom of her heart, as did wielding the giant spear in her hand, a fusion of her body with mythical figures fabricated by future generations. She was not a holy Valkyrie; the title of "witch" suited her actions in her past life—evil, cruel, and ruthless. Only when those words were combined did they qualify to form a crown, with her reigning as the queen of Austrasia.

The spear began to transform within the magical flames, gradually turning into a gigantic, entirely blue staff. At the top of the staff, a massive amethyst emerged from the flames, exuding a dazzling and eerie purple light.

As the magical flames gradually faded, the former Valkyrie clad in armor transformed into the image of a noblewoman in a purple gown. She held the staff and looked down upon the others, especially Gilles de Rais, who had discerned her true form. Her uncontrollable laughter carried a touch of magic, causing the two other Servants and Suzuki to be once again disturbed on a spiritual level.

"Allow me to introduce myself once again. I am Brunhilda, the queen of Austrasia. Just like all of you, I am a historical figure born in this land of the future." Brynhildr bowed slightly to the gathered individuals, and then a large swarm of magical flames descended from the sky, enveloping Jeanne and the others.

With his willpower, Suzuki managed to barely make out Brynhildr's current appearance—the witch reborn within the magical flames, her class changed to Caster!

1