[FDJ]Chapter 50: Retreat and Defeat
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suzuki witnessed for the first time a Servant who could change classes, a phenomenon not recorded in the Chaldea Organization's data. The Witch of Austrasia?

Suzuki had not studied much about the history related to this, but he knew that the place's name was in future France.

"Jeanne! Retreat with your Master!" Saber Gilles de Rais shouted at Jeanne. He could see that with the addition of La Hire, they had three Servants against one, which gave them a chance of victory. However, his extensive combat experience made him choose to avoid the fight. The witch had intentions unknown to him, and Gilles de Rais didn't dare to take the risk.

Jeanne hesitated for a few seconds. Although she didn't know why Gilles de Rais, who was on the side of the Western Roman Allies, was helping her and Suzuki, she also felt that it wasn't the time to battle against Brunhilda.

Jeanne tried to use her gaze to signal Berserker beside her, but La Hire, who had lost his sanity due to Mad Enhancement, couldn't comprehend Jeanne's hint.

"What about you?" Jeanne asked Gilles de Rais, who could approach Brunhilda at any moment. If it weren't for the conflicting ideals in this Holy Grail War, she would have treated Gilles de Rais the same way she treated La Hire, as she hadn't forgotten their memories of jointly resisting the English invaders.

"Don't worry, I have my way," Gilles de Rais replied firmly. He didn't want Jeanne to come into contact with evil. He feared that the saintly maiden in his memories would compromise her faith.

The worst outcome would be defeat and being slain, but this Holy Grail War would end for him.

Upon seeing Jeanne protecting Suzuki and retreating, Brunhilda finally took action. She pointed her staff at Gilles de Rais and launched a basic fireball that exploded upon him. Gilles de Rais relied on his magical resistance and armor to avoid being harmed by the fireball.

"Is that all you've got, witch?" Gilles de Rais knew that his opponent was deliberately showing weakness. The magecraft Brunhilda used when she was still a Lancer had much greater power than what she was displaying now. He didn't dare to approach recklessly. The magical flames surrounding Brunhilda seemed to possess life, reaching out with flames, attempting to ignite anything that dared to come close.

"Are you referring to the fireball or another spell?" As Brunhilda spoke, an invisible restraint enveloped Gilles de Rais. It was only then that Gilles de Rais realized the fireball was just a distraction, and Brunhilda had employed some unknown form of binding magecraft.

"You..." Gilles de Rais tried to break free using his strength alone, but his efforts were in vain because the magic restraining his body was not an ordinary one.

"Simply use a fire-based spell against you is enough." Brunhilde's smile carried a profound meaning. She seemed to know about the trump card Gilles de Rais was unwilling to use and deliberately "enticed" him in this manner. "Saber?"

Gilles de Rais ignored Brunhilda's "suggestion" and still intended to break free by brute force. He wasn't afraid of Brunhilda using her Noble Phantasm while he was immobilized.

"It seems you'd rather be killed by me than betray... your faith?" Brunhilda remarked.

Jeanne, who had already run a distance away, noticed that Gilles de Rais was being controlled. She turned her head anxiously, hesitating whether to go back and help.

"Master, we can't let..."

"You can go if you want to. If the three of you can join forces, you shouldn't lose to a stronger Servant." Suzuki's headache had subsided, and he had obtained some data on Brunhilda. However, he couldn't determine whether it was wise to launch a coordinated attack. He had a feeling that Brunhilda possessed hidden skills and Noble Phantasms beyond the ordinary.

But a brief skirmish shouldn't be a problem. Jeanne, La Hire, and Gilles de Rais, three renowned Servants from the Hundred Years' War, all possessed formidable strength.

Just as Suzuki had time to calmly analyze the situation, Brunhilda, instead of attacking the immobilized Gilles de Rais, slowly raised her hand and seemed to deliberately shout towards Jeanne, who was facing her.

"In the name of Command Seals, Berserker, subjugate the woman by your side!"

A red light flickered on Brunhilda's hand. Before Jeanne could even utter a surprised sound, the airflow immediately became turbulent. Berserker paused for a moment and then swung his sword down towards Jeanne.

Caught off guard, Jeanne was knocked down by Berserker. Her consciousness remained clear, but the powerful impact left her with no chance to counterattack.

The second strike landed near her head, narrowly missing her.

"La Hire! Stop!"

Jeanne attempted to hold down the massive sword that had struck the ground with her sword, but she was overpowered by La Hire's strength. In the next moment, a strong gust of wind erupted. Caught off guard, Jeanne was blown several revolutions by the wind. La Hire let out a roar and, aided by the wind, swung his sword for the third strike, hitting Jeanne directly on the forehead where she wore her headgear.

When Suzuki attempted to use a Command Seal, all he saw was Jeanne lying on the ground, struck by a direct blow to the head. Although her headgear of unknown material remained undamaged, Jeanne let out a muffled groan and couldn't stand up.

"Brunhilda is Berserker's Master?!" Suzuki couldn't believe the current situation. Previously, because they didn't know who Berserker's Master was, he and Jeanne had speculated but didn't pursue it further due to Berserker's lack of uncontrolled and random attacks, as well as the absence of clues.

Now they knew, but it was too late. No wonder Brunhilda had always displayed an attitude of unwavering confidence.

Berserker, under the control of the Command Seals, had bloodshot eyes and a ferocious expression. He swung a gust of wind in a demonstrative manner towards Suzuki but missed. Then, he swiftly picked up the unconscious Jeanne from the ground and ran towards Brunhilda.

Gilles de Rais couldn't turn his head, but he heard Brunhilda's declaration through the Command Seals and understood that Jeanne was in danger. The situation was not a 3v1, but rather a 2v2.

"How is it possible for you to be both a Servant and a Master?"

"The Holy Grail was before me when I arrived. I intervened in the process of the Holy Grail selecting a Master using my knowledge of magecraft. The Lancer class and a magus have no connection? Judging by your surprised expression, that's what you must be thinking, right? But even in the Lancer class, I retain a considerable level of magical ability. It's not difficult to obtain Master privileges through irregular means."

Brunhilda dodged Gilles de Rais' swing after he broke free from the constrained magecraft and casually threw out the magical flames swirling around her, igniting Gilles de Rais' gauntlet.

Gilles de Rais muttered a spell and quickly extinguished the blue flames on his gauntlet. He left Brunhilda, who was just within reach and launched an attack toward the approaching Berserker.

After a few clashes that didn't determine a clear winner, Brunhilda's magecraft struck Gilles de Rais in the back due to being surrounded by enemies. This time, Brunhilda didn't play around. The blue flames instantly engulfed the defenseless Gilles de Rais in the form of a column of fire.

The roaring sound of the column of fire drowned out Gilles de Rais' cries of pain. He realized the imminent danger and tried to evade it, but his entire body was swallowed by the column of fire, leaving him feeling dizzy and disoriented as if his body had been shattered. He was knocked down by the column of fire.

Brunhilda, now transformed into the Caster class, appeared to have lost her rune magic. However, she gained overwhelming superiority through unidentified black magecraft and with Berserker as her Servant. She could easily dispose of Saber Gilles de Rais.

Satisfied with the injured Gilles de Rais lying on the ground, Brunhilda approached him, lifted her staff, and forcefully stabbed the pointed end into Gilles de Rais' back.

But her staff pierced through empty air. Gilles de Rais, who was supposed to be immobilized, instantly achieved a spiritual form and disappeared before Brunhilda's eyes. She then looked towards Suzuki, who hadn't run far, only to find that he had also vanished.

Brunhilda could guess who had taken the two of them. Aetius hadn't fled the melee just now; he had concealed himself here and deceived everyone. A magus capable of making Attila grind her teeth in hatred was indeed not to be underestimated.

"Berserker, come with me. Take her," Brunhilda ordered, dismissing the flames that surrounded her. She issued new instructions to the irrational Berserker by her side. Like before, he restrained himself, showing great reverence towards Brunhilda, as if she were the true saint. As for the woman he had knocked unconscious, she was merely someone who resembled a saint in his eyes.

La Hire had his suspicions, but the Command Seals had given him a conclusion, and he believed it wholeheartedly.

Brunhilda smiled and waved her staff, conjuring a magic circle beneath her and La Hire. The two of them disappeared instantly. She had a well-thought-out plan, and taking Jeanne along was an impromptu decision. With the current situation, she held an absolute advantage and saw no need to kill Jeanne on the spot. Furthermore, it wouldn't be wise to do so with La Hire present. It would only further agitate the berserk warrior who had lost his sanity.

Watching Brunhilda leave with Berserker, Aetius, hidden within his shadow familiar, released his grip on Suzuki. "Don't even think about pursuing them. You would be killed by a single fireball."

The shadows that seemed to merge with the bushes concealed the three individuals. Magic expanded the space, and in the 5th century, there was already considerable expertise in spatial research. Perhaps it was Aetius who had conducted the research in this area.

"She hasn't gone far. That Servant who possesses both the Lancer and Caster classes is very cautious. She suspected that I might use the same trick again and set up a warning. Don't expose yourself, young man. I don't have the confidence to confront her." Aetius sensed an unusual magical presence and didn't dare to be careless. He used a Command Seal to urge his other Servant on the other side to hasten the construction of the corresponding summoning magic circle. While Archer withdrew with Attila, they abandoned their plan to attack the Western Roman camp.

Suzuki felt another wave of dizziness. When he opened his eyes, he saw rows of waiting Roman soldiers and a peculiar man with heavy clown makeup. At a glance, he recognized him as Caster Mephistopheles.

1