CH 39: THE PAST STRUGGLES OF A LITTLE BOY
683 2 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Sniff* *Sniff*

Akeno finished her story while tear streamed down from her face,

“Onii-sama, I do not understand. *Sob* I just want to live. I just want to be happy. Is it too much to ask? *Sob* Did I do something bad? Is it my fault if Mother died?”

Azrael didn’t bother speaking, he simply took her in his arms and hugged her tightly. This seemed to break a dam in her. Her tears began to fall even more. Her heart-wrenching cry resonated as the sun slowly vanished behind the forest.

'Such a frail little girl, such a gentle little girl.’

He caressed her back as her little body continued to be wracked with sobs. Azrael didn’t even dare to pretend he could understand her pain. This would be the greatest height of hypocrisy.

No one could really understand the pain of another one. Even if they lived through the same events. 

His life wasn’t bad. Even though his mother died while giving birth to him because of his power, even though his father refused to meet him out of fear of falling, this didn’t really matter. He was, of course, sad sometimes, he also had his fair share of isolation and traumatic events, but this didn’t mean anything. So, he simply decided to hold her as she teared up.

After about ten minutes, Akeno was finally calm enough to stop crying. Still, she didn’t leave Azrael’s embrace. 

“Onii-sama, sorry for this display. It seems like I dirtied your clothes.”

Azrael let out a laugh at this,

“This isn’t a problem. Big brothers must take care of their sisters, right? So you should simply rely on me more.”

He was serious, he had always liked younger children. Some  would say that he wanted to live the childhood he didn’t have through them, but he didn’t really care about this. All he knew was that like Dulio, he didn’t want children to suffer. 

“Akeno, since you told me your story, let me tell you mine. But don’t be disappointed. After all, my story is not as sad as yours.”

--- First POV

I didn’t meet my mother. Never meet her and perhaps never will. After all, she died while giving birth to me.

You see. I was born with a power. A great one. A dangerous one...A deadly one.

Sadly, my mother was just a human. A normal one, she was neither a warrior, nor a wizard, and she wasn’t born with a sacred gear either. She stood no chance. Not only her. Basically all those who were present for my birth died with her. Only one survived, my grandfather. Though he was severely wounded.

A human with nothing special apart from the fact that she was born from a powerful family. Even now, I wonder how she managed to make my father fall in love with her. Or perhaps he fell in love with her because of how normal she was? 

What about my father you might ask? I don’t know either. After all, I have never spoken to him nor have I ever met him. The only reason I know his face is because of the few pictures of him I have. The only reason I know his voice is because of some recordings I received. 

Ahaha when I think about it my childhood was very weird. 

As a child, I knew that I was different from the others. I lived in a special house full of barriers. Only a few people could come and visit me. After all, my power was simply too dangerous. Too wild. I had absolutely no control over it. Only in this house would my power not erupt. 

One day. Was I five? Or six? I do not remember. That day, I wanted to see the outside world. I wanted to get out. As such, I sneaked out. The barriers couldn't keep me in. After all, I had thoroughly studied and deciphered them. I am quite a genius after all. 

Sadly. Being a genius didn't matter. Back then, I had never understood why I was isolated. Why I was surrounded by such heavy restrictions… I understood the moment I stepped out. 

Death. Endless death. Everywhere I walked. Everything I touched. Death and stillness surrounded me. You can imagine how traumatizing it must have been. My young mind couldn't process the situation. As such. I did what all kids do. I simply cried and called my parents. 

I was so scared. I thought it was a punishment for going out even though I was told not to. I cried and apologized again and again and again. My heart was about to break. 

It was then that my savior came. Her simple presence chased away the death around me. She is a woman I will always be grateful to. The one closest to what I could call a mother. Though technically she should be my aunt. Her name is Gabriel. That woman helped me. That woman saved me. She cradled me in her arms and kept repeating this. 

"This isn't your fault."

----

Azrael looked at Akeno with a peaceful smile, as he took a little distance from her, 

"Akeno. I am not a great orator that is able to take away all your pain with my words. But, I can only tell you one thing. The same thing that woman told me." 

He slowly patted her head and bent down to give a kiss on her forehead. 

"Akeno. This isn't your fault." 

I am very curious about your opinion on his backstory.

29