Prologue
436 2 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To wake up in an unfamiliar place after having your throat close up to the point of being umable to breathe, clutching at it tightly would usually send someone into a crying fit.

Yu Chuntao was not someone. She was Yu Chuntao.

She observed her surroundings to find herself in an environment she was quite used to seeing. A modern, high tech kitchen.

But why was she laying on the cold tile floor?

This wasn't even her kitchen!

Pulling herself up from the floor with the help of the counters, Chuntao took a good look at the kitchen again before calling out.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" She shouted, but was only greeted with silence.

Since no one answered, Chuntao simply assumed she was alone. With that taken care of, another concern of hers arose.

She was hungry.

It didn't matter that before she woke up here she had been eating a dish made for her by a fellow chef, she wanted to eat something that didn't taste overcooked.

That poor man still couldn't get the right cooking time for his food. His food would be wonderful if only he could cook it for long enough.

Chuntao probably wouldn't have died due to his food either if he cooked it properly. But she doubted it was only his overcooked pasta that had her grasping at her throat.

Making her way over to the fridge, Chuntao opened it up to see it stuffed full of various ingredients. Meat, produce, dairy, it was all inside and at peak condition to cook.

The woman could feel herself drooling at all the possible things she could make. Stir fry, barbeque, soup, noodles...

She was brought out her thoughts by a voice, seemingly coming from all around.

[ Yu Chuntao, age 25, gender female, cause of death... Poisoning. Is this you? ]

Chuntao began digging through the fridge. "I believe so. It looks like that guy really did kill me." She sighed. "I don't regret it. Someone had to tell him his food was undercooked or he could've given someone food poisoning! Salmonella! Give a bad reputation to food."

The voice ignored her ranting.

[ Yu Chuntao. The woman who loves food more than anyone else, would you like to continue to make and eat food? ]

"Of course I would. That's what I'm doing right now."

[ Would you like to travel the universe tasting, reviewing, and improving the delicacies of various worlds? ]

Chuntao finally stopped her fridge diving at that question. Did this unidentifiable voice mean to say she could just travel around in mysterious new locations, eating, reviewing, and cooking all she wanted?

This must be a dream! An opportunity from the heavens themselves!

All her life, Yu Chuntao had been surrounded by food. With a pastry chef for a father and a five-star chef for a mother, it was no surprise that she became involved with the culinary world. Not to mention her special sense of taste, often called the God Palate, which could taste anything in a dish. Even the oil it might've been cooked with.

It was very effective for finding the hidden things she didn't like in dishes. Much to her parents' displeasure.

When she was in school, she was a member of the cooking club. When she graduated, she went to culinary school and left best of her class. When she entered the culinary world on her own terms, she set off a storm of culinary revolution with her restaurants. Her food critic account gained millions of followers, her power to crush or bring a restaurant to fame unparalleled. Yet she never forgot her true purpose.

To bring good food to the world and to experience good food wherever she went.

In what world would it make sense for her, Yu Chuntao, to not want to experience the tastes of worlds entirely different from her own?!

"Of course I would! Who woud ever give up the chance to eat and cook to their heart's content! Only a madman would do such a thing!"

[ The contract has been established. For finalizing contract, please give me a name. ]

Contract? There was a contract for this type of thing. Ugh. She hated paperwork.

"May I ask what this contract entails before I give you a name?"

[ The Host, Yu Chuntao, will travel to different worlds to experience their food and review it to see if it's good enough for the System Store, a catalogue of items for other Hosts to buy from. The Host will also have unlimited access to the System Store due to her cooperation and be given free reign in her worlds as long as she completes the aforementioned tasks. In summary...

[ 1.) The Host must travel to various worlds to critic food and see if they are suitable for the System Store.

2.) The Host will have unlimited access to all of the System Store's products for free and freedom to act as she wishes in the worlds.

3.) The Host will be given a quota of dishes she must critic or make herself in the world to be able to leave it.

4.) The Host will have any and all culinary freedom she wishes. Her own restaurant empires, cooking shows, and other culinary forms of media are hers to create. ]

"I'm sold. What do I need to do to sign this contract again?"

[ Please give me a name. ]

Chuntao let out a puff of air and began to gaze inside the fridge, looking for something that would be a good name.

Chicken? No.

Asparagus? No.

Scallion? ... Maybe.

That was when Chuntao saw it from the far corner of her eye. Away from the fridge was a giant bag of rice, minding its own business. A stroke of genius hit her.

"Mifan. Your name will be Mifan."

[ Name received. The system will now go by Mifan. ]

The emotionless voice gained some obvious energy. It liked its name very much, despite having been named after a grain.

[ Contract finalized. The Host will be put into her first world. Please wait. ]

"W-wait! I haven't got to making my food! Don't send me off yet!"

Chuntao's pleas went unheard as the woman disappeared from the kitchen, the fridge door still left ajar.

Luckily, it knew how to close itself and did just that.

25