Ch. 27
131 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thanking him they make their way back into the streets and begin the trek to the lumber yard. Passing a hoard of people lined up outside The Amused Narcissist as they dodge people window shopping at the tailors. They Wined around the clock tower and cross into the west side of town while passing a bustling tavern. 

Nearing the edge of Sunmist they watch as people shuffle onto the street in large groups. “ Sounds like they have a good bard tonight” they hear while passing a few people as they slip into the forest.  Opening his map Asher uses the last few rays of light to quickly search for the exact location of the lumber yard. 

Pulling two glowing quartz from his inventory Asher passes one to Gavynne. “This way, “ he says motioning to the left once they’ve gone far enough to lose sight of the lights of Sunmist. Fumbling threw the trees the find themselves at a clearing. 

Walking further into the clearing “ow! the heck a stump?”  Says Gavynne frowning from his newly acquired spot in the grass. Shaking his Asher reaches out to hoist him from the ground. Steadying Gavynne he leads him threw a cleared area.  Turning past a stump on the north of the clearing they happen upon a  cleared path.

Creeping along the path they’re greeted by a large log building and the rhythmic sound of metal hitting metal. “So are we just going to wait here?”  Gavynne asks looking at the time. “Yes unless there’s someone here,”  says Asher trying the door handle. Finding it locked he sits down with a huff next to it as Gavynne starts pacing.

*Frowning he opens his journal and checks the recipe.’ Hmm, I still need Potatoes and onions’ hoisting himself from the ground he begins making his way into the nearby forest. Holding his Quartz out he uses its glow to check the base of a few trees for them. 

“Whatcha doing Starbub?”  “Trying to find wild onions and Potatoes” “ ah ok,” Says Gavynne with a shrug turning he heads back to the Lumberyard.  Making his way back toward the clearing stepping over stumps he spots a small patch of stems.  Making his way across the clearing he squints at them and is able to toll they are Wild onions.  Quickly picking twenty he quickly places them into his inventory. 

‘Alright, now just potatoes ‘ he thinks, checking the time as he turns to the rest of the clearing. Weaving threw stumps and passing into the tree line. Spotting white flowers at the base of a tree to his right walking over he pulls out his spade and begins gently digging them up only to be greeted by a small group of wild potatoes. 

Checking the time he places them in his inventory he makes his weaves threw the stumps back to the lumber yard. Standing next to the door he watches as Gavynne wonders out of the trees as the sun breaks over the horizon. Turning to the door Asher sees a note attached to it. “Closed for inspection?” frowning he makes his way around the building and spots a cramped log cabin further in the woods. 

Motioning Gavynne over he begins walking toward it. Reaching the cabin Asher masks his way up creaking steps and knocks the rustic front door. "What do you want!? " yawns a voice threw the door joined by the clatter of someone opening the door. 

"Do you run the lumber yard?" He asks as a you "Nope  my dad does why?" "We were hoping to get some wood turned into chunks. Do you know when he’ll get back?" “ No, but I can help you out,” she says walking past them.

Walking to the side of her house she motions them over. "Alright, where is this wood you mentioned?" She asks. Reaching into his inventory Asher brings out the bag. "Hmm these are pretty small," She says opening the bag. 

"Are these sticks all you need cut?" She asks when they shrug. "I'm pretty sure some of them are at least an inch thick,"  Gavynne mutters. 

"Yep this is everything I was asked to get but I don't have an ax so." "Alright well, they're too small for you to need more than a carving knife you do know how to use it right?" "I have a kitchen knife is there a difference?" "Other than the fact a kitchen knife is different yes there's a difference with a kitchen knife you'll have a tougher time carving with it." She huffs. 

Looking at the carving knifes blade he notes the strap she cares it in.“Here I'll show you how to carve them or would you rather I put them threw the saws. If you want me to do that it'll cost at least a silver." She says with a shrug "how much would it cost for you to show me how to carve it?"He asks watching her strap the carving knife to her belt. 

" I'll teach you if you bring  me breakfast" " is there something specific you'd like for breakfast?" " not really?" nodding Asher opens his inventory and pulls out a container of sugar cookies. " would this work?"  passing her the container he watches as she pulls a cookie from the box. " Sure alright one second," she says taking the box into her cabin.

"Where'd those come from?" asks Gavynne as the door closes "I made them" scratching his head Asher explains. "so you just been carrying them with you," says Gavynne frowning. "yea pretty much " shrugs Asher as she makes her way out of the cabin. "Alright pay close attention you're going to need to test how sharp your knife is when you do this but you take a branch and..." Pulling one of the branches she unsheathes her carving knife. 

Taking her pointer finger she places it at the end of the branch using her opposite hand.  Bringing the knife to the opposite side of the branch parallel to her knuckle. She then begins slowly working the blade threw the branch. "Just like that," she says once the segment falls. 

 

" so will it be that easy with a kitchen knife?" "no, you'll need a few more cuts" nodding Asher pulls out his kitchen knife, and taking a branch he begins working it threw it. taking the segment he places it in his inventory as he thanks her.

Skill Acquired: Whittling a knife skill used to carve wood can be used to create Items.

Before heading back toward the lumber yard. Walking around the building he leads Gavynne into the clearing. 

" Here use this to cut a few”  sitting on the stump Asher passes Gavynne a dagger. Nodding Gavynne takes the dagger and begins making wood chunks. With both of them working they cut up all the branches and quickly make their way back to Rey's. 

"Welcome back, do you actually have what we agreed on now?" "I believe so," says Asher, passing him the bag. Taking the bag he checks its "these are just what I needed it one sec and I'll get you meat." Watching as Rey heads through the door behind the counter. Asher begins pulling out the silver he needs. "Alrighty, here's you roevens," he says while passing Asher a large bag. He takes the silver coins with a nod as Asher takes the bag and makes his way out of the shop. 

6