Chapter 25 – Eyes of Doubt
85 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I-is it true?” asked Thompson with shaking voice.  

“Why even bother asking. Can’t you see that I hit a nerve just by the way he is acting?” declared Vlad with a grin.

“Yeah, you kinda did. I am Kentaro Satsuki…but-“

“But what? That you thought you could fool us? That you could hide your sins forever with that mask of yours? Kenji, I had my suspicions. That you were someone shady. And it’s a good thing I kept tabs on the news. Otherwise, I wouldn’t know who you were when I saw you” said Vlad with a booming voice.

“Hey, Kenji. I need some explanations, goddammit” yelled Thompson.

Kenji bit his lips.

“It is true. The one named Kentaro Satsuki was the one who hunted down those corrupted corporate officials. My master, Ujihara. He was a proud sai wielder. But he was getting old.   Those bastards beat him up because he wouldn't allow his dojo to be destroyed just for their corporate construction. And his discipline the one known as Kentaro Satsuki tried to sue and blame the corporations for their actions. But to no avail. Those bastards had everything in their palms. So, in great despair Kentaro Satsuki made a vow to be an avenger. But the me before you. I changed. I am not the same man you are accusing me of. I regret the actions deeply and I don’t want to hurt anyone again”.

Vlad pulled out his sword.

“How are we supposed to trust you then? Human life doesn't seem to be much of value to you. Maybe when we reach the treasury, you’ll stab us all in the back?”

“N-no. I would not. And my strength is finite.  You are the team leader, Vlad. You can order the others to take my life at anytime. But if you have the courage to trust me then please trust me. Do not doubt me further. I would gladly serve you all and help everyone find a way out. All I want is a little share from the treasury that is all”.

Vlad pointed his sword at him.

“Get in the front line. Do not dare to look back. If an enemy mouser attacks, then you’ll be our meatshield”

“Right. I understand”

They quietly walked towards the abyss. Water drops dipped from the ceiling and the crystal emeralds on the ground shined their way. It was not long before they heard human voices and their echoes from the dark path in front of them. Careful listening allowed Kenji to hear that they were all very familiar ones. Bold, Emma, Mikhail, Diego and everyone else ran towards them with delight.

“Hey, haha. My lads!” claimed Thompson with relief.

They ran towards each other and happily hugged out as soon as they met. But Vlad and Natalia’s eyes still remained on Kenji to let him know that he was not allowed. Understanding this, Kenji did not move towards them. Instead, he looked around his fellow companions, counted their numbers and knitted his brows.

“Where is Mei?” 

“I dunno. When Diego, Amanda and I got out of the tunnels we encountered Bold and Emma. Mei was nowhere to be seen” said Mikhail casually.

His words made Bold’s stomach churn. But regardless of the uncomfortableness, he knew he had to speak: 

“Mei…she’s…”

“Hmm, she what?” inquired Mikhail cluelessly.

“Dead” uttered Emma.

Silence consumed the area in an instant.

“Y-you serious? Dead?” asked Thompson with a shivering voice.

“How?” said Vlad.

“Huh?” gasped Bold. 

“How did she die? Were you there?”

 Emma nodded but did not have the will to speak.

Looking at how helpless Emma was, Bold took a deep breath and began to summarize the nightmarish events that occurred before. After he finished his story most of the team members stared blankly at the floor.

“That is quite unfortunate. I…don’t know what to say” claimed Vlad.  

“The guy you three encountered. His name was Pak you say?” inquired Natalia

“Yeah” said Bold

“Are you sure he wasn’t an AI?” she asked them.

“What?”

“Oh yeah. Kenji, Thompson, me and Natalia encountered an ice mouser that actually could speak like a person” said Vlad. 

“I don’t know. Maybe he-“

No, on second thought. Bold was sure that the guy was a human. His eyes, those weren’t just blank. He wasn’t sure if any computer could reflect that. His eyes immitted immense danger like none other. Granted, he wasn’t fully aware of how much complex these AI monsters could get. Whether the creators of this virtual world are able to even make something as complicated as a human being.

“AI or not, that guy is still here, right? If we encounter him again It could be dangerous” said Amanda.

“What are you speaking? It would be bloody convenient if he came at us on his own volition. With our forces combined, we can beat that son of a bitch in no time and have Mei’s revenge” roared Thompson.

He looked around at everyone’s sunken eyes and continued

“And call me an optimist all you like but you two didn’t see Mei’s corpse now, did you?”.

Bold and Emma shook their heads and seeing it Thompson’s eyes glittered with fire.

“Which means she could be alive. In fact, I think it is dishonorable to leave a comrade who could possibly be alive. I say we go back there and fight that mongrel and save her”

Some members such as Emma and Mikhail smiled but Vlad frowned and spoke:

“Sorry if it sounds rude or cruel. But we’re not going there. You said it actually took a while to meet up with Mikhail and the others despite the fact that you two were riding a horse, right Bold?”

“Yeah”

“Then it’ll take too long for us to get there. Not to mention we could encounter mousers on the way. And if that Pak guy had already finished off Mei, we could be needlessly causing danger for ourselves” said Vlad with bitter tone.

“So, what? At least we get to teach that bastard a less-”

“Get over yourself, Thompson!” roared Vlad which immediately shut him up.

“We’re not here to fight a battle of pride and honor. We’re here to get the treasure and survive. If you would like to be a hero of justice or an avenger you can go ahead but don’t drag the rest of us into your childish shenanigans”

“But…what if it’s just like Thompson said. What if my sister is actually alive?” mumbled Emma.

This time Vlad gave her the coldest look he could possibly manage.

“Do you think I care? You two volunteered fully knowing that you could die at any moment. Yet now you’re acting childishly. None of us are responsible for your sister’s life. If you want to you can leave and search for her yourself. But the others aren’t obliged to risk their lives for her”.

Emma’s face became pale and she hanged her head down. Vlad gave a bold look across all his teammates.

“Let’s go”

When Vlad and Natalia led the path, everyone followed. Only Emma and Thompson were lagging behind.

“Err, you okay with this Emma? If you insist I can help you find-“

“It’s okay. I’m glad to hear that. But… it’s over”

She tried to hide her somber eyes from Thompson and looked away.

4