1. The Mary Sue & Her Forms
300 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1: The Mary Sue & Her Forms

The Mary Sue, if you have truly confirmed she exists in your world or you have decided to prepare in the instance she does appear in it, comes in multiple forms as I have found through experience and research. Although her main concepts are often the same. She is perfect, attractive, and in some way 'unique' as to attract the attention of suitors.

There are three basic archetypes of the Mary Sue that we will be exploring this chapter. The White Lotus, the Tragic, and the Chosen One. We shall first discuss the White Lotus as she is the one I am most familiar with.

The White Lotus, also known as the Pure Lady, Innocent, or God's Child, is the white bread of the Mary Sues. She is a beautiful, kind-hearted, pure-minded, and innocent flower in the world like an unstained white lotus. Untouched by dark desires or evil. This is the most encountered of the Mary Sues, as well as the Mary Sue within my world. Sometimes, although not all the time, she harbors ill-intent inside of her hidden away from the rest of the world. This is often in the form of a wish for revenge or just to stand at the peak of the world, which would add more depth to her character. Sadly, this is not always the case. If your world has a White Lotus Mary Sue, more often than not her suitors (I truly do mean for it to be in plural) are praising her purity, kindness, beauty, or other aspects to the high heavens and will respond in aggressive ways to any who disagree or vie for the Mary Sue's attention. Ringing any bells? I hope not as this Mary Sue causes more headache-inducing situations than any of the others.  

Next would be the Tragic Mary Sue. Also known as the Pitiful, Angst-inducing, or Crybaby Mary Sue, this young woman often experiences a terrible upbringing in the form of abuse, loss of loved ones, or mistaken identity. Sometimes even all three and more. They are the ones who deserve their happily ever after and the protection of her chosen suitor while the leftovers protect her on the frontlines. For some reason. If your confirmed Mary Sue is often lamenting her existence due to her tragic backstory, constantly talking about it, or just all around making their story sound more obnoxious rather than sympathetic, you have a Tragic on your hands. This backstory will often not truly have an effect on the Mary Sue, but exist to give her more depth or make her a more precious existence to her suitors to protect and shield from any more evil in the world. While this Mary Sue will not cause situations as ridiculous as the White Lotus's, she will bemoan her story and fall into the embrace of one of her suitors for comfort. Usually in the rain or in front of another suitor. Suitors will be discussed in our next chapter, an interesting existence they are.

Finally, is the Myth, the Legend, the Chosen One Mary Sue. This Mary Sue is featured in a prophecy, destiny, or some other form of future change that is important to the world. Often saving it from evil or a calamity that is sure to happen without her intervention. She possesses a power that only she can have, a weapon only she can wield, or the secret information to a world-saving item. Her suitors are usually the people she meets along the way to complete the prophecy, sometimes even featured in the prophecy. It's common for these suitors or even the Mary Sue to die by the end of the journey as they were 'too good for this world' or 'fated to die for the greater good'. Then they are resurrected and any lessons learned by their death are immediately lost. The world either rejoices their triumph or is completely unaware of it. The Chosen One is usually the least obnoxious of the Mary Sues, although their decisions are sometimes so idiotic you wish to hit them for thinking of it and their associates for even allowing them to go through with their decision. Be wary of this Mary Sue as they often bring danger with them in the forms of monsters, curses, or plot convenience. 

While I'm sure there are many other forms that the Mary Sue comes in, these were the most consistent forms in which I could find them. If you have found your Mary Sue here, that's excellent. If she happens to be mix of all of these, my deepest condolences. You'll be having a hard time.

For a more in-depth look at the White Lotus Mary Sue, I'll be telling my own experiences with my own Mary Sue. Lady Melissa Vonsbourough, perhaps the epitome of the White Lotus.

First, let me begin to talk about myself at the time I first encountered this enigma of a being. Dorothea Fielyer, daughter of the renowned Second Prince and Marshal Geralt Fielyer and Princess Tatianna of Senetal, the neighboring kingdom to my home of Brylmin. I suppose I had all the potential makings of a Mary Sue, royal blood, inherited good-looks, and two famous parents if it weren't for a simple fact. I had no opportunity to grow into my potential Mary Sue roots. My education was strict and monitored, providing no opportunities for secret escapades with secret princes or magical beings. My parents cared for me greatly but did not spoil me, and no prophecies existed in the lands I lived in. Magic didn't either, but that was beside the point.

I actually first met Melissa when I was quite young. Around the age of ten, I believe, at a tea party of my close friend. A garden party where you could practically see her bright Mary Sue halo around her head. Which reminds me. When looking for a Mary Sue, pay close attention to hair and eye color. If they happen to be an unnatural color, from birth especially, then that's telling of their status as a Mary Sue. Melissa possessed both strange hair and eye color. Her hair was a whitish-grey color and her eyes golden. I suppose I also fit into the strange hair color category as I have purple hair, though that was genetic. Neither of Melissa's parents possessed these features, making them even stranger. Somehow, the light even hit her perfectly to make her look like an angel among the roses in the garden.

It was an experience, to say the least. The first of many that built up my expertise in Mary Sue-like characters. But that is the rest of the story and the end of this chapter. Next will be one of the most powerful weapons in a Mary Sue's arsenal.

Her suitors.

Which Mary Sue would you hate to deal with?
  • White Lotus Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Tragic Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Chosen One Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I could deal with any of them. Votes: 3 9.7%
Total voters: 31
7