Chapter 19 – Inn
1.4k 2 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As such he was trying his best to provide excellent service to them. Who knows he thought, maybe this will put his business on the map? 

Just one recommendation from a noble carried that much weight in Port Blackwood.

“Yes, we are here to rent a room here for the foreseeable future” Lucy said cutting straight to the chase as she approached the man very closely.

At the same time, she made sure to look deeply in his eyes as her finger briefly brushed his.

 Standing to the side in slight observance and vigilance Sera took careful note of everything going on around her master, including the rising tents in the innkeeper and several of the patron’s pants.

The poor old innkeeper was shocked, and his eyes opened as wide as saucers before becoming distant and hazy looking. 

Almost mechanically he responded, “No problem my dear patrons, the current fare is 3 gold coins a night, 4 if you’d like meals as well as a maid to come clean your rooms.”

Lucy slightly smiled thinking ‘Hm putting up a little fight eh?’, before leaning even closer to the innkeeper’s face boring her eyes straight into his.

 The gold in her eyes brightened slightly as she whispered, “You will give us the room for free and for however long I wish to stay here. You will provide us privacy and allow no one to come to bother us. Am I clear?” she finished with a devilish smile

The instant Lucy finished speaking the old innkeeper’s entire body shook as he nodded In agreement to Lucy’s request.

“C-Crystal clear. Take any room you want ” he said with a wide smile as he handed her a key with a skeleton on one end.

Sera smiled at her master’s handiwork as she thought to herself, ‘Wow master’s expertise with compulsion sure is impressive. She didn’t even break a sweat!’

“Let’s go Sera.” Lucy said as she slowly sauntered towards and up the stairs under the gazes of her captivated audience, “Have a good night everyone. As you were.”

Quickly following, Sera went up the stairs behind Lucy and with her exit the spell over the tavern goers was broken as they resumed drinking and talking. 

Except now the topic of conversation was of the two beautiful and powerful maidens staying upstairs.

After receiving the skeleton key from the old innkeeper and heading upstairs, Lucy rejoiced at finding a room with little to no human bodily secretions, ‘Perfect! And it’s at the far end of the hall away from any nosy neighbors.’

The room was a bit small and had a stale smell in the air like it hadn’t been used in years, but it had very few windows. 

Lucy felt it was a good thing that vampires didn’t have any bodily functions because none of the rooms seemed to have a bathroom.

Sera followed closely behind as she entered the room to find her master pacing back and forth as she placed sheets and blankets over every window and outside opening.

“Did you see that down there?” Lucy asked as her right heeled foot tapped up and down on the wooden floors.

“Of course, master that was amazing what you did with your compulsion” Sera said as stroked her master’s ego

Lucy’s train of thought visibly derailed as she froze for a moment before laughing, “Yes , yes I know haha thank you- but no that old innkeeper expected payment in gold coins Sera!” she said as she threw up her arms finished with sunlight proofing the room.

Sera’s face went blank as she waited on her master to continue. She figured it was customary to expect payment to run a business.

 Lucy shifted her head as if she heard Sera before replying.

“ That’s the thing it is customary Sera, I’ve just realized we have no money, no gold coins, no nothing. And that is not fitting nor customary for any Queen” Lucy huffed as she plopped down on the bed.

Sera blank face shifted to an astonished expression as if a lightbulb just went off in her head. 

She now understood that her master’s rantings and pacing just now were over their lack of monetary funds.

‘Yeah that could present a problem’ Sera thought but knew better than to say aloud. Instead she wrapped a consoling arm around Lucy as she brainstormed ideas to cheer her up.

“It’s simple master! If we need money, we can just compel the humans to give it to us.” Sera explained matter of factly

“Yes, that’s very true, but that draws unwanted attention over time. But that could definitely work for getting funds in the short term, but in the long term…” Lucy trailed as she massaged her heavily knitted brows.

“I see what you mean master, we need a business of some sort to generate continuous wealth for us.” Sera said expertly

The visible frustration in Lucy’s body gradually subsided as she thought over Sera’s idea. 

She felt that it was actually a great idea! 

Just listening to that innkeeper and some of the patrons thoughts revealed they thought she was some hotshot.

 And if she could fool them, she could fool others. Any business started by a noble or someone with perceived power or backing would do exceptionally well in Port Blackwood.

As Lucy further planned it out, she could see a business being the solution to her problem of resources and eventually a territory of her own.

“Yes, yes this could actually work” Lucy said as she rose up from the bed, “but in the meantime I suppose we could compel a couple dozen humans into giving us their life savings for spending money”

“Haha excellent master I think these idiots at this tavern are perfect for that.” Sera said as she slowly stood up and pursed her lips in a pleading expression, “but can we please hunt again before the sun rises? I’m hungry”

Lucy thought Sera’s request was bit ridiculous and she’d usually never even consider doing it, but considering her help lately with a roll of her eyes she relented with a, “I suppose yes, but we must be quick”

Sera jumped up with inhuman speed at Lucy’s words before heading out of the room followed by Lucy to hunt.


 

41