EPISODE 6 – The Genres and Themes I Wouldn’t Fit Into (Part 1)
82 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I was at the doorstep, I enter our front lawn and stumble upon our door. The knob turns and I welcome myself into my home.

“I’m home!”

The usual greeting when I come back from school. But a not-so-usual sound permeates from upstairs.

Beep. Boop.

Video game noises from upstairs. A voice of a girl and a boy came along with it.

“I win again!” the girly voice cheers.

“No fair! One more!” the voice of a boy replies.

What are those sounds?

I take a step into my house and the whole atmosphere changed immediately.

This… aura! The aura of romance! DISGUSTING! PWEH!

I spit on the trash bin to my left.

This sweetly sensation… is… weakening me… SICKENING!

Wheezing, I can barely breathe from the scent of love in the air.

“Blech!”

The door leading up to my room for gaming was open. A bright line shines through the gap. I quickly take sneak peek at the slight opening of the door.

There, I saw two people playing on my gaming console.

WHO IN THE WORLD HAS THE AUDACITY TO TOUCH MY WIFE, MY PLAYSTAT- damn you author…

I had to revise my statement, even in my thoughts, or the author would shut me up for referencing a copyrighted brand.

MY PLAYCAMP 4! That’s a bad substitute. But there’s no choice.

Beep. Boop.

“K.O! Mr. Basin wins!” the television announces.

It looks like they’re playing Street Fig- Road Hustler, they’re playing Road Hustler. What’s my little sister doing with a guy there? Friend? Or the other… I’ll keep observing...

“K.O! Mr. Basin wins!”

Wow, Mr. Basin is a very bad substitute for the original name.

“Wow... you really do suck at this game, Tetsuo.”

Note: The cute little sister, Nakatani Takayuki.

“I don’t suck, you’re just really good Takayuki-san.”

Note: The handsome friend, Tetsuo Taketa.

“Thank you… very… much!”

Nakatani celebrates as she inputs the finishing move once again.

“K.O! Mr. Basin wins!”

“I won again! And didn’t I tell you? You can just call me Nakatani when we’re alone.”

“Eh? B-But… You were serious that time?!”

THEY’RE ON A FIRST-NAME BASIS! DAMN YOU… This is too much; I can’t take any more of this.

I barge through the door and plead to the author.

My little sister has done nothing wrong! I’ll take anything. Anything! Just for her to be safe from being author’s plaything! Don’t let her be taken by this ‘vessel’ of romance!

“PLEASE! DON’T TAKE MY SISTER! TAKE ME INSTEAD!!!”

The two of them were startled by my ranting.

“Eh?” Nakatani wonders.

“Eh? Oh crap!” Tetsuo yelps.

“Excuse me, for a second,” Nakatani requests of Tetsuo.

“O-Okay.”

“Um, sorry for intruding…” Tetsuo excuses himself.

She goes out to confront me and closes the door behind her.

“You were back already, onii-chan? Why didn’t you say so sooner?” she asks me.

“ARE YOU DEAF?! I SAID I WAS HOME DOWN THERE! OH, AND BRING ME BACK MY P-PLAYCAMP 4!”

“Shhh, lower your voice,” she asks of me.

She pushes me down stairs.

“THE FUCK YOU DOIN?! THAT’S MY CONSOLE! WHY ARE YOU PUSHING ME! THAT’S MY OWN ROOM! AND WHO IS THAT GUY?!”

She manages to push me aside.

..

.

She returns upstairs and returns to her- I mean, my room.

“Hehe, he’s a handful, isn’t he?” she tells him.

“Y-Yeah,” he answers not knowing how to respond.

Stubbornly, I barge into the door again.

“MY PLAYCAMP 4!!! MY BELOVED!!!” I yell

"I-I’ll be right back! Make yourself at home!" she explains in a hurry trying to push me back again.

The door slams shut and she faces me head-on.

“Can’t you take a hint?! That's my friend, Tetsuo-kun over there!”

“You can’t just play on my console! It’s mine!”

“Can’t you learn to share! Have some shame! You can’t show these qualities when I have a friend around!”

“You’re the one borrowing, I have the right to want or not want if people use my stuff!”

Onii-chan, can you avert your eyes, just this once! We’re bonding! I just want to get closer to him!”

Unfortunately, I had enough of the conversation.

“I DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR ROMANTIC PROGRESS! YOU GUYS HOLD HANDS, KISS, AND GET MARRIED FOR ALL I CARE!”

Though, my frustrations with progress, seemed to have stuck with my words.

"M-Married w-w-with him?!"

Her face turns as red as a tomato.

“Onii-chan… just stay there for a while,” she points downstairs, “…please. Thanks and sorry.”

She returns to her- I mean, my room, still bashful about what I said earlier.

I happen to overhear some of the conversation.

“Sorry for the wait…”

I-I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I thought it was just some kind of hang-over, but then I remembered… the world was no longer the same; it had followed the rules of fiction. The situation was direr than I thought. I had set my priorities wrong. For this reason, my knees drop to the ground.

Nakatani was the sweetest little sister, kind, cute, responsible, and her core trait, ASSERTIVE! It was only a matter of time before her story started.

Tears pour from my eyelids.

“WHY DO I STILL NOT HAVE A STORY WHILE MY SISTER GETS ONE! NOW, I'M GONNA LOSE MY SISTER! AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!”

Damn you author-kun, you took everything away from me…

Bang.

The door opened suddenly and I saw my sister furious who seems to have had enough of my rants.

“ONII-CHAN, BE QUIET!”

“NOOOOOO!!! I DON’T WANNA SEE MY SISTER IN A WEDDING DRESS! NOOOOO!!!”

..

.

A few hours pass.

My poor self rests on the couch, devoid of life, having been taken of the two precious things in my life.

Click.

That sound. That’s the door to my room upstairs…

My head turns to the direction of the sound.

Nakatani’s friend, Tetsuo exits the room first, in a similar state. Yeah, he’s depressed.

Must’ve been defeated at video games. I’m all too familiar with this scene…

“Nakatani-san… couldn’t you have gone easy on me… you could tell I’m a newbie,” Tetsuo utters dejectedly.

“But, don’t you think it’s insulting if I defeat you while still holding back?” Nakatani responds.

“I-Um… Yeah, you’re right. It’s my loss.”

They go down the stairs.

Tetsuo thrusts his chest forward.

“I’ll take it like a man.”

He turns around and faces Nakatani.

“Takayuki-san.”

“I said to call me Nakatani,” she corrects, “You were doing fine using it!”

“I-I just noticed how embarrassing it was…”

Hey, isn’t it kinda early to be using first names? It’s only been like a few weeks since class started. Oh well, it’s anime logic anyways. The less you pay attention to logic, the less questionable it is, and the better it feels.

He clears his throat.

“A-Anyways!”

He turns around and faces the door.

“I’ll find you’re weakness soon, Nakatani-san. Mark my words, I’ll expose you! That you aren’t such a perfect girl!”

“That isn’t how you capture a maiden’s heart, you know?” she comments.

“Sh-Shut up!”

In an act of disgust, I click my tongue. I am appalled by their romantic interactions. Though, I manage to catch his attention.

“Sorry for the intrusion, onii-chan…” he tells me with a complimentary bow.

But I focus on a different thing.

O-O-O-Onii-chan?! ONII-CHAN?!

As for his parting words, he says, “… thank you!” And then he finally dashes off to the door. Aha… ahaha… lucky for him… because…

“GRAGHHHH!!!” I screech like a Lovecraftian monster, “DON’T YOU CALL ME ONII-CHAN, YOU NORMIE!!! I DON’T ACCEPT YOU! I’LL MURDER YOU!!!”

My body instinctively rushes to the door to try and hunt him down.

Onii-chan?!” Nakatani yelps.

She rushes in to restrain my limbs.

“Wh-What are you doing, onii-chan?!

“LET ME GO, NAKATANI! I’M GONNA FIX YOUR STORY! I’LL FIND A BETTER MAN FOR YOU!!!”

“What are you talking about?! Just… calm… down!”

We grunt a couple of times trying to fight each other before I lost my energy and will to kill him. If she hadn’t stopped me just earlier… I assure you, reader, things would have gone feral.

Pant. Pant. Pant.

Onii-chan… calm down… what’s… your deal?! I told you… he’s just a friend!” she tells to me while recovering her breath.

I wallow in sadness and fall flat to the floor. The view turns black as I obstruct it with my own arm, and then I finally bawl my eyes out.

It’s over. I failed to stop the development. My sister has a flag atop her head, and it’s waving for… H̵̬̲̠̽̐͝I̶̯͆̿M̶̛̗͈̖͌.

But I couldn’t really say that, so I speak out my second concern off the back of my mind.

“Y-You were using my P-Playcamp!”

“I-Is it really worth crying over… we didn’t break it or anything… Besides, what the hell is a PlayCamp? It’s a PlaySta- PlaySta-, why can’t I say it?”

Don’t bother.

“Let’s stick to calling it a PlayCamp," I insist, “It’s funnier that way.”

“Is it so much of a sacred relic?”

No response. I merely, continue crying.

“Hahh~ you’re such a crybaby, onii-chan. Fine! I’m sorry I used it without permission, I’ll ask next time.”

“Th-Thank you… b-but…”

Urgh… that’s barely a concern when compared to the fact that she’s going married soon…

The conversation ended in an awkward note.

“Are you feeling okay? You seem beat and out of shape.”

“I’m okay. Never been better,” I reply monotonously.

“Want me to make dinner?”

“Yes, please. Make dinner. I’m pretty beat.”

“As long as you say sorry too about earlier, I’ll forgive you.”

“Ask my permission if you’re gonna bring someone in the house! Let alone use my room!”

“How could I message you when you come late at home always?”

Wha-

I stare at her in disapproval.

“We have phones, idiot.”

“Oh yeah! Hehe, my bad, tee-hee.”

Note: Idiocy revolves around the family.

Noticing that wallowing in despair does nothing, I eventually get up on my two feet. I also notice that the house is emptier than usual and that there were no signs of people in any other room.

“Where are mom and dad?”

“They said they won’t be home today, like business or something.”

Hmm? But mom doesn’t have a job, plus, dad’s job is way too complicated for mom to help in.

“Did they say where they were gonna be?”

“As I recall, it was a hotel? Hmm, actually, I think they said it was a love hotel? Onii-chan, what’s a love hotel?”

Oh.

“Nakatani, my innocent little sister, you are quite too young to know such words. Maybe you heard wrong, let’s go eat.”

I see. As I expected, they were doing the dirty. I suppose we’ll be on our own for a long while then.

..

.

7:38 PM, Dinner time.

We sat at a round wooden dining table. I sat on the left quadrant while Nakatani sat on the right.

Looks like despite having so many occurrences, I have to give up on romance. The progress is too slow, and it’s too painful to bear, literally.

We had the rice and plates ready. I scoop up a ton of curry from the cauldron and pour it onto my plate. I then took a bite of the meal.

“Delicious~ This is heaven~”

Ahh, my little sister’s cooking is the best, especially since it’s curry. That brown color just makes my day.

“I offer my compliments to the chef.”

“Why, thank you,” Nakatani responds.

I felt the flavor of the meal. My tongue savored every second of it.

These really are the meals made by a housewife.

I take a glance at my little sister and both our glares meet.

“Hmm?”

She tilts her head.

I can’t believe my sister is becoming a bride.

I end up tearing up a bit.

 “Why are you crying, onii-chan? I’d always be here!" she reassures me.

Getting off her seat, she walks to me and gives me a pat, followed by rubs.

THAT’S A LIE! YOU’RE GONNA BE TAKEN BECAUSE OF THAT SWEET PERSONALITY!

“I have such a sweet little sister.”

The sweetest smile ever is produced from the goddess before me.

“Thank you, onii-chan!”

I sighed at my inability to do anything. I decided to drink it off with a clear glass of water, chugging it as I would drink alcohol (I don’t drink alcohol, it was a hypothetical situation).

Glug. Glug. Glug.

“Ah, any time, little sister.”

Unlike most series, I’m a normal big brother who views his little sister in a familial light. For that reason, I only want the best for her. Given the inevitability of the conclusion of her story, I have no choice but to support her love.

..

.

I’m in my room.

I haven’t been making much progress... I wonder what will happen to the reade- Wait, the hell should I care about the readers’ enjoyment?! I need to prioritize my story. Who cares what the readers think? The faster I get them off from reading Author’s series, the better it is for me to end this hellscape.

I roll around aimlessly at my bouncy bed.

So Rom-coms aren’t my forte, and neither is Shounen. So in order for me to get a story, I need to cancel out, the genres and themes I can’t fit into! Why didn’t I think of this sooner?! I'll start listing things out…

“Tomorrow!”

I’m too tired.

I tuck myself into my own bed with my blue blanket and take a nap.

Note: Mañana habit. How do you expect to make progress with that mentality?

..

.

April 14, 20XX

8:15 AM

What’s the next genre to explore? I wonder…

I focus on my mind then an idea came to me.

I know! How about Sci-fi, I’m pretty smart myself!

“Okay. Let’s start the journey!”

Note: He forces progress upon himself, what will the result of one’s actions be?

END OF EPISODE 6

 

2