07.The Adventurer’s Guild
357 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After being forced to sign an exclusivity agreement with the weapons store 'The Black Knight', we left the place and of the entire equipment, only Mytrill's beautiful sword hangs from my waist inside a black scabbard made of Wyvern skin.

The rest of the legendary equipment needs some minor adjustments to suit my measurements, so it will be taken later to the Ren'Lai mansion.

On the price, in my days of campaigning against Ipheria, all this legendary equipment would probably be worth the same as half of a kingdom's land.

Now, the cost was enough to build a small country mansion. It is still excessive, but as I said before a hundred years ago one could buy half a kingdom with this...

As for the spending, Klein finished the matter with a few simple words: 'If I don't buy this equipment approved by your sister, she will not hesitate to sell our wedding ring to pay for it'.

How could I reject that?

Surely my sister would not hesitate to sell all her jewelry to buy this legendary equipment for me.

Still, I can't help but feel like I've been caught up in Klein's plans.

"It's almost noon, why don't we eat out for a change?"

"Won't Rita bother if we do that?"

“Have you ever seen Rita upset? I don't even remember ever seeing her smile and I've known her since I was a child

I let out a light sigh as I walk behind this couple who have once again immersed themselves in their world.

"Sister, Brother Klein"both stop and turn to me. "You can easily enjoy your date, I would like to go immediately to the adventurer's guild to investigate and learn the rules of the adventurers"

"What about food?"my sister crosses her arms.

She was probably planning to accompany me to the guild. Something, of course, I can't allow. It would be the most embarrassing thing that could happen to me in both lives.

"There is a tavern in the guild, I could eat something there"the guilds sell food and beer to adventurers at low cost, a simple way to earn their loyalty. I highly doubt that something like this has changed in the current era.

My sister narrows her eyes, obviously not very much in agreement.

“It doesn't seem like a bad idea to me, that way he can meet other adventurers and hopefully make some companionsto my relief Klein intervenes on my behalf.

After receiving twenty silver coins from Klein and directions to go to the guild building, I parted ways with the loving couple finally do something for myself.

Finding the guild building was easy. The streets around the place are teeming with people who are dressed extravagantly, adventurers.

I enter the three-story brick building and find what seems to be practically a tavern.

"Little noble, are you lost?"a stout, wild-looking man standing by the door notices my presence and mocks with those words at me.

"I look for information"

"Oh, if it's to request a mission, you can talk to those beautiful ladies"the man points to the end of the huge room, just off the stairs to the next floor.

"Thank you"

"Be sure to offer a fair amount of gold, little noble!"the man laughs behind me.

I leave the many wooden tables behind and come to a long counter by the stairs. Several women tend to some adventurers, and others move from side to side with various papers in their hands.

"How can I help you, young lord?"as I approach the counter, a jovial-looking woman graciously offers to assist me.

I guess with these clothes and my appearance people inevitably think I am a noble child, well I used to be.

"I would like to become an adventurer"

The woman blinks a few times in surprise, but recovers and then nods.

Is a nobleman becoming an adventurer?

Probably not such a rare event, I'm not the first nobleman to be stripped of his household name. There are also nobles who for various reasons fall into ruin. Counting only on their sword training, for these nobles there should only be two paths, giving up their pride and working for other nobles, or maintaining their pride and becoming adventurers.

"The membership fee is ten silver coins, if you cannot afford it we can discount it from the missions you take. However, you must first pass a test to make us sure you have what it takes to become an adventurer

A test? In the past, it was enough to put a drop of your blood on parchment to join a guild.

"The peace can change everything..."I whisper to myself.

"Sorry?"

"I was just wondering what kind of test I have to face"

"This is a small practice fight, if your performance satisfies the evaluator, your application for a membership will be accepted"

"I understand"

Another practice fight? These days the adventurer's guilds worrying too much about the lives of its members.

"Do you want to proceed with your request?"

"Yes"

"In that case, please fill out this form"

The woman gives me a sheet on which I must write my name, the weapon I use, if I can use magic and if I have any skills. This last question does not request information about the skill, it only asks to be informed if I hold a skill or more.

A skill is a great advantage, but it can also become a great weakness. Let us take as an example that child in the coming of age ceremony who had the skill Accurate Shot. If someone wanted to kill some person who had the same skill, knowing this person's skill, the assassin would know that he should not face him from a distance.

After filling out the form, the woman leads me upstairs to a spacious room fitted out for the test.

"Wait a moment here, I'll find some adventurer willing to test you"

So they use the adventurers to assess the new applicants, isn't that somewhat troublesome for the tested? I highly doubt the adventurers are thrilled that new people are joining the guild to compete for missions.

In the past, it was very common for adventurers to kill each other to take missions. But hey, that was in an age when being an adventurer was the easiest way to avoid dead starvation.

Two minutes later the woman returns accompanied by a robust man. It is the same one that I met when entering the guild.

"You weren't here to present a mission, little nobleman"the man laughs loudly as he watches me.

"Godar, can you take this seriously?"the woman reproaches with visible bad humor.

"It's okay, honey, I'll take care of it. Little noble, shall we play a little?

We both took the only practice weapons available on-site, long wooden sticks.

"What weapon do you specialize in, little noble?"

"In the sword"

"Me on the ax, so I guess neither of us has an advantage in this"he refers to our current practice weapons.

"Start!"

After hearing the woman's signal, Godar runs to me. He does not swing his long wooden sticks, but, holding it with both hands, pushes it forward.

What is he trying to do?

I do the same as Godar, I hold my weapon with both hands and receive his strange attack. Both weapons collide, and this appears to be a brute force duel, but he doesn't push too hard.

"Little noble, for a gold coin I will allow you to join the guild"Godar whispers in a tone that only I could hear what he says.

So that's what it was about.

"Will you let me win for a gold coin?"

Godar lets out a shrill laugh.

“No way, I will defeat you, but I will still evaluate you favorably. What do you say, little noble? If you refuse, you will not be able become an adventurer and you will have to wait three months to apply for a new evaluation or go to the guild of another city. If you don't have a gold coin, I will accept that pretty sword that hangs from your waist"

The hilt of my sword is showy, and the sheath is made of wyvern skin, it is natural that this man is interested, what would he say if he knew that it is a magic Mythril sword?

This time, I'm the one who lets out a loud laugh.

"I have a better idea, why don't I defeat you?"

The smile on Godar's face disappears and his expression twists into anger.

Godar pushes with his true strength and I take several steps back, pretending weakness.

"You nobles believe that you are better than the rest of us just because you have played with your beautiful wooden swords since childhood, I will teach you a valuable little lesson, some broken bones will make you understand reality"

Instead of responding with words, I wave my right hand, inviting Godar to attack. My action enrages him further, and he immediately changes the grip on his wooden stick, holding one end with both hands as if it were a sword.

I hold my wooden stick in the center with my right hand and watch Godar charge towards me.

Godar swings his wooden stick like a sword in my direction. I bending down and taking two quick steps forward as Godar projects his wooden stick to me, I push my wooden stick at an upward angle like a spear.

The end of my stick hits the lower part of Godar's chin and he falls. As his body collapses, a thread of blood escapes from his mouth accompanied by a pair of yellowish teeth.

Godar's huge body knocks heavily on the ground, and he lets out a stifled cry of pain.

Godar immediately brings his hands to his mouth and chin while I place the end of my wooden stick on his forehead. His eyes widen and his body freezes.

"I have wielded a sword from an early age, but to prepare for war, I have been severely training in the spear's use"I exclaimed in a cold tone of voice.

On the battlefield, a spear is the best weapon to choose. With a spear, you can keep over several enemy away at a time.

When my training in the Temple was over, I didn't start immediately as a hero, I did it as a simple soldier on the bloody battlefield.

"Does he need his approval?"I look up and address that question to the woman.

“I-in this case, with the evaluator's defeat, it is unnecessary…”the woman's face shows a complex mixture of disbelief and astonishment.

After that, leaving Godar behind, who lay silently on the floor, the woman and I returned to the counter downstairs.

"Please put a drop of your blood on these two plates"the woman places two small, smooth silver plates on the counter.

After using a small knife that the woman provides me, I make a slight cut on the tip of my finger.

A drop of my blood falls on the first silver plate and upon contact, the silver plate emits a faint glow as various characters appear on its surface.

Name: Reiner
ID: 12A9412
Kingdom: Verum
Guild: Enaria
Rank: Goblin

This silver plate, is it a magic item?

I perform the same action with the second silver plate, the result is the same, in contact with my blood, the plate emits a faint glow and the same information above appears.

"This plate will serve as your identification"the woman hands me one silver plate. "We will keep this other in the guild, if you die, this silver plate will let us know"

How convenient, I suppose this explains two things. The quota of ten silver coins surely serves to cover the price of the silver plate that the adventurer carries. As for the evaluation, this is aimed at reducing the number of plates that the guild loses when delivering them to people who know how to fight.

“The adventurers are divided into seven ranges, these are from the lowest to the highest; Goblin, Orc, Troll, Ogre, Chimera, Griffin, and Dragon

This is something that has not changed. This is not the first time that I have become an adventurer.

Given the scarcity of resources during the war, many of us who were trained by the Temple was forced to become part-time adventurers to pay for our own expenses.

By the time I faced Ipheria, my rank as an adventurer was Griffin. My rank was not higher because my priority was not to be an adventurer.

10