UBS19 – Confrontations
2.6k 14 92
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gojima assessed the situation.

'Niece? Oh, this guy is her uncle. I can't see his eyes due to his long bangs, like, how can he see anything? But I can sense him glaring daggers at me. I guess he is not liking the fact that her young niece is hanging out with an old stranger.'

Of course he isn't. You are really not the type any parent would want within 10 meters of their children.

'...Should I just apologize and be done with it? I kinda don't want to, as I have done nothing wrong. Hmm... how should I handle this?'

Ruri was flustered. She did not expect her uncle to react like this! What if they start fighting? The ogre would eat him alive!

"Uh... uncle... this-"
"Ruri, come behind me."
"Huh?"
"Just do as I say!" The man clenched his fists, totally ready for a fight. Ruri hurriedly went to his side, and tried to calm him down. But the man was still glaring at Gojima.

"Calm down, good sir," Gojima said with a calm and collected expression on his face. He was not in the wrong, so he had no reason to act flustered. Doing that will make things look even more suspicious. "I am pretty sure we can clear whatever misunderstanding we are having. So lets all calm down and talk things out, alright?"

The guy was still glaring at him.

''Your niece was having a little troubled with her... math problems. I just helped her out a little. That is all."

"Ruri. What are you doing outside? I told you to stay at home, didn't I?" The guy asked Ruri without even moving his eyes on Gojima.

"It was too hot inside! You said you'd get someone to fix the AC, or buy a new fan, but you were getting late! And there was cool breeze outside!"

'Oh? So that was the reason she was solving puzzles on the stairs?' Gojima amused, 'yeah, its really hot today. Their AC broke down? Poor them.'

"I guess that answers everything... ah, I see you bought a new fan... and also threw it away? Its in pieces."

Ruri looked at the table fan tossed at the half landing with horror in her eyes. It was bent in a weird angle. She hurriedly approached the fan. His uncle on the other hand... had no care for it. He was still staring at Gojima.

"...Don't ever get close to her."

'Wow, overprotective much? Ah well, I probably would have done the same if I were in his shoes. Probably.' Gojima just shrugged his shoulders and walked away. There was no point in letting the situation continue anymore.

At that point, the door of the Hanazono's opened.

"I'll be going now, then."
"...Have a safe trip."

Gojima saw a man walking out of the house while Sayuri was seeing him out. She looked... worn out? Was that her husband?

Sayuri also notice him, and gave a small bow. He also returned one. The man... her husband stared at him for a while, confused about a man suddenly bowing at him. He returned one nonetheless.

"Ah... pardon me, but do I know you?"
"Probably not, this is our first time meeting. My name is Gojima Kenzaburou, your next door neighbor."
"Ah. So you are Gojima san."
"...Yes?"
"I've heard a lot about you from Sayuri-"

There was a shriek from the half landing.
"UNCLE YOU BIG DUMMY!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!! WHY DID YOU BREAK THE FAN!!!"

"Eh? Ruri chan?!" Sayuri was surprised to hear her voice.

"-ah, I am getting late. See you later then, Gojima san. I am Sayuri's husband, Hanazono Satoshi, by the way."
"...See you later then."

Sayuri simply walked towards the stairs.

"Ruri chan?! What's wrong?"
"Ahh~ Sayuri san~" Ruri ran up the stairs and hugged her. "Our AC broke down, and uncle bought a new one, only to break it because HE TOSSED IT AWAY LIKE AN IDIOT!!!"

"Eh? Your AC broke down? Wouldn't that be hard? I just saw the forecast that tonight might be even hotter than last night."
"Haaaaaaaah~"

Satoshi said hello out of courtesy to everyone and simply walked away. Gojima just stared.

'Something about that man is really creeping me out. I mean, Ruri chan's uncle is weird too, but... nah, maybe I am thinking too much.'

...

"Ne, Ruri chan, why don't you stay with me tonight? That won't be a problem, right Sunohara san?"
"Sayuri san~~~" Ruri cryingly hugged her as if she were an angle descending from heaven. "Surely, uncle! You don't have trouble with her too, RIGHT?!!"

"...Then my niece will be under your care." The man simply bowed.
"Ah, of course! I will take good care of her. I will be under her care too!" She also gave a small bow in return.

"Ruri chan!!!"
"Ruri!!! Are you all right?!!"
Two children ran downstairs. A boy and a girl, who was actually Miki chan.

"Hora Miki! Takeshi!! Don't run on the stairs!!!" Shouted a woman from the upstairs. She, however, also followed them running on the stairs.

"Eh? Mi-chan? Takeshi kun!!" Ruri was surprised.

"Ruri? What happened! We suddenly heard your shout!" The boy named Takeshi grabbed Ruri's shoulders and asked. He was Miki chan's brother, who was only one year older than her and Ruri.

"Eh? Ah... nothing." Ruri said blankly. Takeshi had brought his face too close. He also realized it and moved away flustered.

"S-sorry!"
"Um. Its okay."

'Oh? Puppy love?' Gojima was amused, but then he noticed Mr. Long Bangs also staring at the boy. He had a sour expression. Was he a niececon or something?

"Ruri chan..." Miki, as usual, was looking at her with teary eyes. Ruri went to her and hugged her so fast that Gojima almost mistook it for teleportation.

Nah, its because you didn't pay attention to Ruri's movement as your and everyone else's attention was on the cute Miki.

"Its alright. I am okay." Then she calmly explained the situation to everyone.

"Eh? So Ruri chan would be staying with Sayuri san? Mama, can I stay with her too?"

"Miki..."
"Mama please!!!"
"Miki, you would be causing trouble for Hanazono san."
"Eh? I don't mind at all!!"

Miki's mother, Kobayashi Koharu, sighed. Her husband, Kobayashi Satoru, put a hand on her shoulder. "Come on honey, our sweet girl is sensible, right? She won't be doing anything that will trouble others."

"...Well, if you say so," then they both bowed to Sayuri, "then our daughter will be under your care."
"I will be under her care too!" She also gave one in return.
"Then please let me help you out with everything." The mama Kobayashi asked.
"Eh? That wo—"
"Please, let me.
Sayuri sighed, then agreed.

"Then I'll—"
"Oh no you wouldn't, young man! Unlike your sweet and sensible sister, you have not completed your homework at all!"
"Aww mom please..."
"No."
"Tch."

Gojima looked at the scene with satisfaction. Things got sorted out just fine. Now he decided to remove himself—"

"Ah, you must be Gojima san! I have heard so much about you from Ruri!" The papa Kobayashi put his hand around his shoulder. When did he even approach him?

"Oh, I am Kobayashi Satoru, Miki's father by the way. And this is my lovely wife, Koharu. And that rowdy brat is my son and Miki's elder brother Takeshi." Mama Kobayashi bowed at him. He also returned one.

"As you all know, my name is Gojima Kenzaburou."

"Damn, Gojima san! Your name reeks of sheer manliness just like you yourself! I bet you could handle sake like its nothing!!! Think you're upto the challenge?"

'Hmm... what should I do? There is nothing wrong with bonding with your neighbors, I guess? What was the original even doing?'

"...I believe I can hold myself quite well."
"Spoken like a true champion! What about you, Sunohara san?"
"...I'll pass." Mr. Long Bangs walked away. Papa Kobayashi sighed.

"Sorry about that lad, Gojima san. He can be a little..."
"Well, I don't mind. So, do you have a place in mind?"
"I know a good one." Satoru wriggled his eyebrows.
"Just so you know, Satoru~~" Koharu said with a smile on her face, "If you ever step inside a hostess club again..." but now then Gojima looked properly, her eyes weren't smiling.

"...I'll kill you."

"Ugh!"

...

It was a hot evening, but it felt warm to Gojima, in a nice way.

Damn... I really need a glossary or character sheet. The names are starting to confuse me, and I am the person who is writing this! I try to just create a bunch of passerby and give them one or two lines to... create a nice atmosphere, but the next thing I know, I have already given them a bunch of names! I need to stop this!!!

92