Monday August, something, two thousand and something
673 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first day of a new School Year, five days until Vesper's birthday on Friday.

So, the first day of our senior year was rather boring, Birmingham HS isn’t the most exciting campus in Los Angeles, although it’s one of the nicest. In the ’80s the school was upgraded for the Olympics and even though it was 40 years ago, the school maintained the upgrades. Technically it was a magnet school which means that Smart kids were sent to this school in favor of their local high schools, however, it really meant that upper middle class and well-funded kids didn’t have to go to a private school, and a small handful of privileged minority kids from other areas also got a better education. Coming from the semi-privileged class of LA it wasn’t hard to miss the intent of the Magnet education system.

It, however, did mean that I and my two childhood best friends got to go to one of the better High Schools in Sothern California. Many of our teachers were actually college professors who worked both at Birmingham and CSUN the nearby university.

Not much happens on the first day of a new semester, we get to meet with our guidance counselors, get our class schedules, have an extra-long Homeroom, get Lunch, and then head home.  

Now some might say it has weird that Harry and Susan have the exact same schedule as me, we even have the same elective classes and PE period, even though Susan is usually on the Volleyball and Soccer team. Which she is again this year. No one worries about this, it’s been a random chance luck thing that has followed us throughout our lives, and frankly, I’m grateful. I feel somewhat protected by my two best friends.

 

My Class Schedule:    
Homeroom 8 am – 8:20  am  
1st Period 8:30 am – 9:20 am  [AP English (Literature and Composition)]
2nd Period 9:30 am - 10:10 am  [AP Calculus]
Break 10:10 am - 10:25 am  
3rd Period  10:35 am – 11:20 am  [AP Computer Science]
4th Period  11:30 am - 12:20 pm   [AP Spanish Literature]
Lunch 12:20 pm - 1:05 pm  
5th Period  1:15 pm - 2:00 pm  [AP Superhero History ]
6th Period 2:15 pm - 3:00 pm  [Physical Education ]

 

Note:

 PE required in the 6th Period if we go into elective sports.

 

Elective Sports:

Susan [Girls Varsity Soccer team]

Harry [Boys Varsity Golf Team] ((Yes Birmingham has a Golf Team))

Vesper [Boys Varsity Wrestling Team] ((For some reason I’m naturally good at it.))

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Google Maps Photo of Birmingham HS, LA Ca. 50% of the story takes place here. So here it is. 

 

Authors Note:Note I am not going to use the 2020 bell schedule for Birmingham HS, instead I am going with the 80s era LAUSD bell schedule which is very different than the modern schedule, and a whole lot less complicated. Back in the 80s, there were 6 class periods, all the same Monday through Friday from 8 am to 3 pm. Each class period was 50 mins with homeroom at the beginning of the day for 20mins, with a 45 min Lunch, and a 15 min morning break, between class time, was 10 mins because the campus is actually fairly large ie a half-mile per side. See map. P.S. when I went there the student body was about 3000 students, that was in the late 80s, who knows what the student population is like these days, with the strange multitier schedule I expect it has at least double what I had, but since my story takes place in a fictional reality, in a fictional version of Los Angeles, I think  I should be safe going with 80s era schedules and student body population numbers.))

11