20 – A Friend
1.2k 1 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The music club had assembled once again to discuss our upcoming concert. Me, Matoi, Johnny, Kei and Shinsuke. Matoi sat at the head of the table, “Alright. The next gig we have coming up is a big one. It’s the summer festival happening downtown. They’re setting up a stage in the shopping district, so there’ll be a few hundred people watching us.”

“That soon?” I asked. This sounded like a big step up from the small restaurant gig we did last time.

“It’s a vote of confidence. We’re good enough to move up to the next level, that’s what the organizers think at least.”

“We get paid?” Johnny asked.

“No, idiot. We can’t get paid for school activities.”

“But we’re doing it in our own time.”

“I know, I wasn’t saying that rule makes any sense. The teachers will probably give us trouble if we start making money though. Anyway we don’t have time to be making a career out of this yet, chill out.”

I heard a set of feet approaching the door. It opened to reveal Toya, the other band leader who wasn’t part of our club. Matoi stood up from the table, “Toya? What’s up?”

Toya was a tall and somewhat intimidating presence, so it struck me as odd that he looked so sheepish about what he wanted to say, “Hey uh, well. It looks like the band’s over.”

“What? Seriously?”

Johnny shared in Matoi’s scepticism, “No way. You guys were glued together at the hip!”

“They did have a big argument,” Kei sighed, “Do you want in on our club now?”

Toya nodded, “I’m not expecting to just be let in with open arms. You might have three or four people coming down over the next week to ask.”

“And you can still work with them?” Matoi asked. He was always one to get to the heart of the matter quickly. If they’d broken up already – they’d be resistant to being in the same club with him.

“Yes, it’ll be fine. It wasn’t my fault really. All of the people from our school wanted to keep going, but you can’t have much of a brass band with four or five people.”

Matoi acquiesced, “I’ll get a form from the supervisor so you can all sign up. But I don’t know if these guys need a wind section.” Toya looked between us. We didn’t know him very well, so the chemistry between us would need to be established first before anything like that. A band isn't just a collection of talented people - it helps if they're friends too.

“It’s easy to slip a trumpet into a setup like this. Just let me go wild.”

Johnny was on it immediately, “That’d actually be pretty cool. We’ve got a big at the festival soon, we were just talking about it.”

“If you want to come with, we’ll be happy to have you,” I concured. “We’ll have to adjust our playlist though. At least we haven’t started on that yet. You dropped in at the right time.”

Johnny planted his hand on my shoulder, “Speaking of which, how is our cute little songstress doing?”

“Never say those words again or you’ll lose those fingers.”

He backed off, “Just joking, lighten up, jeez!”

“I forgot that you were involved with that video,” Toya muttered, “Did it give you a bad reputation?”

“Are you joking? We’re bigger than ever thanks to the finger crusher here,” Johnny cackled, “Big feminist cred for doing that!”

“Stop pretending that’s the only reason we’re getting gigs, it’s annoying. I don’t know how Matoi feels about you prattling on about this,” Kei scowled.

Matoi, for his part, didn’t seem to care much. “Any publicity works. But yes, I am actively looking for places for us to perform now. And I’m only doing it because you four are actually talented.”

Toya hovered by the door, ready to leave, “You’re a lively bunch. Get that form to me and I’ll sign it. I need somebody to practice with.”

“Alright, I’ll find you after class tomorrow.” Toya gave us a brief wave before ducking out of the room. We’d successfully scared him off with our usual routine of childish bickering. I leant back on my chair and looked at the busted ceiling. Ideas for song lyrics ran through my brain as Matoi tried to reorganize the meeting and get it back on track.

“Miyako, if you’re going to write some music for us, try to leave some space for Toya to do his thing. I know that’s a big ask but…”

“I’ll try. He just wants some clean air, right? We could just extend a few sections and let him get his stuff in. Speaking of which, I’m trying not to write anything that’ll peel the skin of your fingers, Johnny.”

“Why are you singling me out?”

There were plenty of reasons to single out Johnny on something like this. He was not one to let his dissatisfaction go unknown to the group, and I’d rather cut that off at the pass than wait until the last moment and have to change everything. Johnny was a talented guitar player, but he was also a picky asshole.

“Since you’re such a delicate flower, I wanted to make sure that I haven’t done something you can’t do on the day.”

“Oh for… just bring a second guitar if you want to get fancy. What happened to you being able to play? A week ago you’d bite my head off for telling you to sing. The fame is getting to you.”

“Fame?” I scoffed, “Being a sideshow attraction on the daytime talk shows isn’t fame. And for that matter the only reason I'm doing this is because you threw a strop and won't sing anymore.”

He ignored my complaint and focused on the former statement, “It’s more fame than we’ve ever had.”

“I keep saying they’ll forget about it in a month. They already have mostly.” Matoi shook his head and went back to completing his paperwork. Shinsuke hadn’t said a word since the meeting started, “Shinsuke, you okay with all this?”

He jumped, he wasn’t expecting me to call him out, “Oh, yeah, that’s fine. Why?”

“…Because Johnny never asks.”

He picked at the strings of his bass guitar. That was all I was getting out of him. I’d called him out of some misplaced sense of concern. Maybe learning what he was dealing with at home had changed the way I looked at him. His aversion to speaking up, the way he never complained when something conflicted with what he wanted to do. Was that because of the abuse he faced at home? Or was that just the way he liked things, head down and eyes shut? I felt a tightness in my chest afterwards, and it wasn’t just me not being used to wearing a bra again. I needed to hold back, I didn’t want Shinsuke to think that I was being mean, or on the other hand, too nice to him because of what I knew.

“I’ll get to scheduling this then.”

The meeting adjourned. I was the first one out of the door, but I was ambushed outside by my sister. “Is your club over Miyako?”

“Yes, what’s the matter? You don’t usually drop by unless you want something from me.”

“I apologize for my transgressions.”

I poked her in the side, “No you don’t, out with it.”

“Would you mind assisting me with some council business? I must carry some documents to the teacher’s lounge.”

“Fine.” I followed Reina to the boxes in question, discarded outside of one of the in-use classrooms. They were heavy. It was understandable that she’d come speak with me about it. I grabbed half, and she took the other. We waddled back up the stairs to the teacher’s lounge, even my well-trained arms were screaming out in pain.

“How are we going to get the door open?”

As if the answer my prayers, one of the teachers, Minamoto, heard us and opened it, “Oh! Reina, are those Mr. Yamazaki’s papers? Put them down over here.” I placed the boxes down onto a desk and tried to get the feeling back into my arms. “I didn’t expect to see you helping Miyako.”

“Huh? I always give Reina a hand if she asks.”

“Have you… been in any more trouble since the incident?”

“Is that what we’re calling it now? You’re just adding to the mythology of it with a name like that…” An awkward silence hung in the air, which was only shattered as Minamoto chuckled to himself.

“I suppose it is rather silly. But what could be a more sensitive, and neutral way to mention it?”

“I don’t know, it was just a fight. Like you see in the playground.”

“I have more work, but I do not require any further assistance Miyako. You may go.”

“You go ahead without me; I want to ask the teacher something.”

Reina didn’t ask questions; she politely bowed her head and left the room. Minamoto was not expecting me to ask something of him, I was a total troublemaker after all. “Can I ask you something private?”

“…As long as it isn’t illegal.”

“…I’m not saying this is happening. But, if you knew that somebody was being hurt – but they didn’t want help, what would you say the right thing to do is?”

“Is this person your friend?”

“Yes.”

The teacher took a seat and scratched his head, “That’s a tough question. They’ll be upset if you help them, but you don’t want them to get hurt.”

“Yes.”

“I think… if they’re really your friend, you should do everything you can to help. It might hurt their feelings, it might damage your relationship, but in the end it’s the right thing to do. They’re a victim first and foremost. If they come out and look for a solution, there’s always a better way waiting for them.”

Could I say that with confidence for Shinsuke though? Did he have extended family to take him in? Was that extended family just as abusive as his mother and father? What brighter future was there for him if I tore apart his life like that? Shinsuke knew himself and his situation better than I did. I didn’t want to do something just to make myself feel better. I didn’t want to throw away his opinion so easily.

“Thank you. I’ll think about it.”

“You can talk to us anytime, especially if you think that another student is suffering.”

I bowed and left the room. I had a lot to think about.

Hey everybody, back to public releases. Again - this chapter was released (unedited) early on my patreon page. There are a few more chapters up there already. I'm trying to keep a regular schedule for once, so expect a burst of chapter updates in the coming days.

I really appreciate your support. I hope one day we can rustle up enough money to get some proper cover art done, because my photoshop skills are... not it.

I started a second story! It'll update a bit slower than this one, it's an action comedy about magical girls in giant robots. Please check it out if that sounds like your thing!

39