Chapter 30: It’s just not fun
409 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Clarentum what now?” Sylvester replied to the loud man, deliberately trying to sound as confused as he can.

“Clarentum Inquisitors!” The man who introduced himself as Clarence all too eagerly replied.

“We are one, if not, the most prestigious organization inside and outside Inanis Orbis! Most of the great mages that this great institution has produced are affiliated with Clarentum Inquisitors and share a deep sense of belonging within our ranks.” He continued.

“Prestigious huh? Sorry bud, never really heard of you. Then again, it was probably because mom and dad steered clear of these types, now I know why.” Sylvester silently retorted in his head.

Rossa and Sylvester immediately stopped the telepathic exchange the moment Clarence arrived and disturbed their chat.

“But not everyone is given an invitation. No, rather, not everyone is worthy of an invitation!” Clarence exclaimed. “You see only the best of the best-” At this point Sylvester just let the words fly into one ear and go out through the other. His complete disinterest barely hidden with a rigid fake smile.

Sylvester already knew what Clarence was gonna say next and frankly he really didn’t care. Right now his top priority is learning more about Chain casting, and not to mention he was looking forward to some out of this world stories too.

As Clarence continued his blabbering, Sylvester moved his gaze towards Rossa.

She wasn’t reacting to the presentation, but seemed to be listening out of courtesy. As Clarence went on however, he noticed her eye twitch for the faintest of moments.

“Heh, it seems our little Duchess here is getting irritated.” Sylvester joked to himself.“That’s a pretty reasonable reaction when someone just barged in and interrupted a conversation.”

It seems from that very little bit of interaction, Sylvester managed to get a little bit more insight on Rossa. Now he finally saw the curious girl hidden beneath the cold exterior.

Sylvester would be lying if he said he wasn’t enjoying the conversation, after all, you don’t get to talk to someone from another world everyday. This was practically the chance of a lifetime to learn about the people outside his own universe.

Upon realizing this, Sylvester too started getting a little irritated but chose to not air his grievances. Thankfully, the sales pitch seems to be ending soon as Sylvester tuned his attention back to Clarence.

“Now seeing as the two of you are considered the cream of the crop of your batch while boasting some great family pedigree as well, you are extended a warm hand of invitation into this exclusive organization!” Clarence then concluded his speech, to which he was met with silence.

Rossa then scoffed, letting out a breath and letting out her built up annoyance while Sylvester had more childish things in his mind. Rossa glanced at him and saw that he had a faint smile on his face, a mischievous smile.

He then raised his hand up into the air and waved it around like a child trying to get the attention of his teacher.

“Sorry, but can you clarify something you said in the middle?” Sylvester asked politely.

“You see, my heart was deeply moved by your words that my mind drifted outwards.” He then paused for a little while and looked at Clarence’s face.

“Can you say with utmost certainty that the Clarentum Inquisitors are the best of the best?” He asked while not breaking eye contact.

“Of course! We are the rightful number one, though I must admit there are a few of those who keep trying to take that away from us.” Clarence clarified.

“Rightful huh? Seems like you got some stiff competition Mr Clarence.” Sylvester thought to himself.

“Are you really sure you’re the number one?” Sylvester asked again.

“Of course! We are the destined, the true, the rightful ones at the top!” Clarence once again boasted.

“Ah I see, thank you for answering my question.” Sylvester replied with a smile.

“You’re welcome?” Clarence said, a bit confused from Sylvester’s answer.

“So will the two of you join our ranks?” He asked again, putting his hands together.

He then looked towards the woman seated at the far end near the window, her expression still unchanged. It seems she isn’t interested in what he has said, on the other hand the man closer to him was more responsive.

“Hmm.” Sylvester then placed his fingers underneath his chin and slouched onto his chair a little bit more assuming a pose that seemed like he was in some deep thought.

“Alright! I’ve decided!” Sylvester declared as he raised his index finger upward like he just experienced a eureka moment.

“Great choice mr Clearsight! Welcome aboard. Now there would be a sort of orientation for you new recruits next week, and should Miss Argentum decide to not join somewhere down the line she could find us through you! Now the meeting will be held a-” Clarence was then interrupted by Sylvester.

“Ah ah- Stop. Who said anything about joining?” Sylvester declared.

“I beg your pardon?” Clarence responded with a hint of shock. His smiling face gradually changed into a stern frown.

“I never said I would join. I simply wanted to be clear whether you guys are the best of best, as you said you were.” Sylvester clarified.

“Okay. So, just so we’re clear here Mr Clearsight. If I understood correctly then does this mean you are declining our invitation?” Clarence asked once more.

“Yup, Yes I am. Sorry!” Sylvester replied while scratching the back of his head.

Suddenly, a flaming anger can be seen burning within Clarence’s eyes.

“Why you arrogant little runt!” Clarence exclaimed in rage.

There it is, you finally show your true colors. Modern times really can’t change some good ol mage stereotypes huh?” Sylvester chuckled to himself.

“Do you really think so highly of yourself that you dare refuse our offer? There are mages lining up to be under our prestigious name!” Clarence continued, exploding in rage. His kind and welcoming demeanor is nothing more than a facade.

“Okay first of all mr bigshot I never heard of an organization called Clarentum Inquisitors, hell my parents never mentioned your oh so prestigious group, and frankly it’s kind of creepy on how much you seem to want me and her to join.” Sylvester replied

“And secondly, if you truly are the number one, then it would be boring to join you.” Sylvester then made his final point.

“Excuse me? Boring?” Clarence was slowly losing his temper at Sylvester’s seemingly incomprehensible response.

“You’re already number one! That alone makes it boring, there’s no climb, no journey, no fun!” Sylvester explained his side further.

“Ah I see.” Clarence then closed his eyes and breathed in deep.

“I see that you are quite the arrogant character. Very arrogant for someone who can’t even get chain casting right.” Clarence suddenly declared, malice in his words obviously trying to get a reaction from Sylvester.

“You see, we have a lot of eyes and ears everywhere you know? And words travel fast.” He continued.

“I was even thinking of recommending you some great tutors in order for you to jump over that great hurdle that everyone else seems to be able to overcome quickly.” Clarence said as he sneered at Sylvester.

However, Sylvester remained silent and simply smiled back at Clarence.

“Yes I do find chain casting rather troublesome. So, what of it?” Sylvester replied with a blunt question that Clarence doesn’t seem to know how to answer.

“If I was good at everything, If I was some great genius that could do everything at the first try, then what’s the point of me being in a hidden magical university?” Sylvester continued.

“Isn’t the entire point of me being here is to learn new knowledge and skills?” He drove home his point while shrugging at the same time.

“Why you... You really think you can just act tou-”

“Can you please leave now? I don’t know if it’s the same in your world but libraries are supposed to be a place of quiet. And right now your mere presence being a nuisance to me and everyone else around here.”

Clarence’s gaze then shifted to Rossa who suddenly interjected and interrupted his tirade. For some odd reason, instead of seeing reason, he started to lose his temper even more.

“It seems that our guest here is just as unpleasant as the company she chose to be around her.” Clarence shifted his attention to Rossa and started to try and mock her.

“My my. Isn’t this behavior a little disrespectful from someone who is currently staying in our world and enjoying our gracious hospitality? In my world there’s something called manners and respect, I don’t know you have those same concepts back in yours.” Clarence replied, to which Rossa looked at him and the eye before she responded.

“Whoa dude chill out! You’re making all of us earthlings look bad! Oh god this is embarrassing. Freakin entitled prick. Typical of old mage families.”

“Before you talk about manners and respect, maybe you should learn some first. I would like to remind you good sir, that you are inside a library. Please observe silence.” Rossa then replied with a smile, a sarcastic smile.

“Why you insolent little wre-”

“Cease this behavior at once Tourmo’D Clarent!” A new voice echoed throughout the room, interrupting the balance once again.

Sylvester and Rossa looked to the source of this sudden declaration and saw a man with glistening, almost perfect features. His dark brown hair seemingly shining from the little bit of sunlight entering the library, his deep dark and powerful eyes giving off a vibe of authority, and finally his chiseled and masculine jawline.

He was figuratively shining in an aura of righteousness and bravado. Clarence’s stare then shifted to this new presence, his rage intensifying.

“Victor Mandeme!”

16