05.Armored Train
125 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From Juna's hand, Atria crossed the station and reached the platform.

For the first time in her life, Atria saw an armored train.

The train comprised many metal wagons connected one after the other, none of them had windows and on the roofs of some wagons there was appreciable a kind of small towers from which the barrels of some firearms protruded.

Gunpowder was a discovery of about two hundred years ago, since that time, firearms had developed to where exist powerful firearms can perform successive fire, which comprises a dozen gun barrels arranged in a circle around an axis, and that they are fed by a cylinder of vertical ammunition, while they are operated using a crank.

Firearms, however, are hardly useful against low-ranking demons, so armored trains also have at least a dozen Knights to protect them.

These robust means of transportation were mostly used to move goods and soldiers between cities, travel from one city to another was almost impossible for ordinary people since there were many restrictions on this. A large part of the people died in the same city in which they had been born without ever being able to see the world beyond the walls of their city.

It was around noon when Atria and Juna boarded one of the passenger cars, normally only one train arrived in the afternoon in Breda every day, but it was the harvest period so three trains arrived in Breda a day to transport vegetables and cereals. Each human city specialized in something; agriculture, livestock, mining, and Breda was an agricultural city, and all the farmland was inside the city.

As Atria took a seat next to Juna, a middle-aged man wearing a worn gray uniform entered the wagon.

"Where are you going, Captain?"the man-made a respectful greeting to Juna and then asked that question. The man only needed to see the insignia on Juna's uniform to know her rank.

"I'm from the thirteenth"Juna pointed to the number XIII stamped on the left side of her arm"I'm going back to Galdena"

For a second the man's eyes were amazed, but he quickly regained his composure. The Thirteenth Legion was the most infamous of all the legions, its members were savage and not very disciplined but in contrast, they were the only ones brave enough to make incursions outside of the human territory.

"I understand, this train goes straight to the city of Elucilde, once we leave some wagons there, we will go directly to Galdena"the man could have sworn to have seen Juna's beautiful face show a sour expression for a second when he mentioned Elucilde, but he quickly thought he had only imagined it.

Juna nodded in response. She was aware of this train's schedule, Breda was practically Galdena's exclusive barn, over sixty percent of this train's load would go directly to Galdena.

The man repeated his previous greeting and then turned around and left the wagon.

Once that man left, Juna hugged the adorable Atria and unable to settle for just that, she took her and sat Atria on her legs. The non-expressive Atria did not resist. Usually one of her sisters towards this, Atria was sitting on the lap of one of those women and then being affectionately pampered.

"Atria-chan, you are a treasure of the gods, enough to put me in a conflict between wishing you would stay forever like this and being unable to wait to see what kind of beautiful woman you will become"Juna's cheeks were flushed from this emotional conflict, even so, she did not forget to bring her nose to Atria's black hair to enjoy its fragrance.

Atria was not at all puzzled about Juna's behavior, this was nothing she had not experienced before, some of her older sisters were affectionate enough to say that they would make Atria her wife when she came of age. Marriage between people of the same gender is something as absurd as believing that humans once flew over the skies, and while some of those loving sisters seemed sure of their words, they were only joking, right?

The train soon shook, a sign that it was moving.

The wagon did not have windows, the lighting was provided by some lamps.

"Since we have time, why don't we start by talking about the basics?"

Despite saying those words seriously, Juna did not lower Atria from his lap and spoke about prana.

Control over prana is divided into seven steps, of which the first was called 'Principle', and this comprised controlling prana to circulate inside the body at will. Atria was at this starting point.

The second step is called 'Strengthening', and comprises making prana improve some or other physical capacity of the body.

The third step is called 'Manifestation', and this step involves the ability to externalize the prana and impregnate it in a weapon.

Juna decided not to talk about the other steps and did not detail much more about the two steps after the 'Principle'. This was something that Atria had to understand on the fly.

"First, let's see if you can control the prana within your body"although somewhat reluctantly, Juna released Atria"The first time your prana arose, a pleasant sensation must have accompanied it, can you remember that sensation?"

"Yes, Juna-sensei"

Juna's cheeks flushed as she heard Atria call her 'sensei', this girl was adorably smart ever since she remembered that instruction she gave her - call me Juna-sensei when we are training.

Juna's desire to take Atria in his arms was extinguished once he felt a flow of prana inside Atria's body.

Is she controlling her prana?Juna was surprised, according to what Derrik had told her, he had awakened Atria's prana himself so she shouldn't have any kind of knowledge to understand how to control her prana. "Atria, can you circulate your prana at will?"

"Yes, Juna-sensei"

Juna narrowed her eyes. She could feel that Atria was controlling her prana.

"Who taught you how to do it?"because of Atria's control over her prana, Juna was sure that she had not learned to do it at this moment, Atria must have been practicing before.

Atria tilted her head to the side, keeping her non-expressive face and Juna must have bitten her lips because of how adorable that gesture was"Nobody taught me, Juna-sensei"

For Juna that answer turned out to be amazing, normally this first point was difficult for children to understand, a pleasant feeling? Even if they could remember this, there was a big gap between remembering it and having their bodies replicate that feeling. It was for this reason that in basic training, children required much more attention. They need a detailed explanation and continuous help to understand even the smallest aspect of prana.

However, Atria had understood and executed the concept for something that can only be described as instinct.

Is this girl a genius?Juna did not believe in something as implausible as the gods, if these beings existed, why did they not come down from their cloud at once and eliminate the demons? Therefore, Juna flatly refused to believe in the nonsense of Flem that Atria was the holy knight sent by the gods"Continuously contract and expand your prana until you tire"since Atria herself had completed the most tedious point, Juna continued.

"Yes, Juna-sensei"

Atria who was standing in front of Juna did as her beautiful sensei instructed her. Although at first, this was simple, slowly it became a heavy task.

Atria's skin perspired and her breathing became irregular. At her worst, Atria fell to her knees pressing her hands to her chest to breathe. Even if she now possessed prana, her asthma was still present.

Juna was surprised to see Atria's sudden state. Although this simple exercise was exhausting, there was no way that it would take a person to a point where they had difficulty breathing.

Concerned about Atria, Juna stood up and approached the girl. However, upon hearing a low whistle accompanying each agitated breathing of Atria, Juna halted and her eyes widened in surprise.

Asthma? Impossible!disbelief filled Juna's face.

Although people could not use their prana at an early age, prana was there within their bodies from the moment of their birth. Regardless of the lineage to which the prana holders belonged, there was something in common in all of them. Their bodies were healthy and were not affected by diseases or birth conditions like ordinary people.

Even those people who did not have a blood link with the ancestral lineages, these possessed healthy bodies and this was basically for a simple reason, these individuals were undoubtedly unrecognized bastard children of prana bearers.

Taking all this into account, it was easy to understand the reason behind the surprise and disbelief in Juna, that Atria suffered from asthma meant that she had not been born wearing prana. Was something like that even possible?

Juna leaned down and took Atria in her arms, then sat down once more and placed Atria on her lap. She placed her hand on Atria's small back and a faint blue light emerged from Juna's hand and entered Atria's body, Juna made her prana flow into the girl's interior.

Each prana nature possessed a special quality, and the special quality of water prana was to speed up the body's natural recovery processes.

Slowly Atria's breathing returned to normal as she felt as if a soft, fresh liquid was being poured into her body.

When Derrik introduced his prana into Atria, he did it aggressively to encourage the girl's prana to awaken, instead, Juna introduced her prana gently in Atria's body to help her recover, so Atria's prana did not react aggressively and allowed the Juna's prana help Atria.

"Atria... How did you gain the ability to possess prana?"once Atria seemed better, Juna asked what she had in mind.

Atria's small body tensed upon hearing that and Juna realized this, Atria was sitting on her lap.

"The person who gave me my name said he would give me a power"

Juna frowned upon hearing Atria's response.

"What person?"

"I do not know…"

Atria described a mysterious figure wrapped in a brown cloak, of which she could only describe two more features, cold blue eyes, and a sinister and cold voice.

To the question about how she met that mysterious person, Atria only replied that she did not remember him. According to Atria, her only clear memory was of waking up in the church.

At this point, Juna could not know whether or not Atria was fully telling the truth, except for that slight shock when Juna asked Atria about how she had got her prana, Atria showed no other reaction while answering Juna's questions.

As far as Juna knew, prana was not something that could be got, one was born possessing it. However, Atria's asthma clarified that this girl was not born possessing prana.

5