Chapter 36: Get Out
196 0 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 36: Get Out

Michael opened the door to a red-eyed Nathaniel and a scowling Linda. Michael kissed Linda, then kneeled and wrapped Nathaniel in a comforting hug. Joan stepped forward to offer a hug to Linda but paused before she completed the motion. Something was off.

"You," Linda snapped. "I can't even look at you right now. Get out."

Joan crossed her arms. "I live here." She'd thrown on sweat pants and a T-shirt when she heard Linda was coming over, but she had no intention of leaving, especially not without her bodyguard.

"I don't give a hoot. We're in this mess because of you."

Michael rose to his feet. "I have no idea what you're going on about, but Joan stays. Especially if this has anything to do with her."

Linda huffed and marched to the plush green couch, pulling Nathaniel behind her. She sat in the middle and waited with a heated, expectant glare and Nathaniel clinging to her side until Michael joined them on the couch. Joan sat in a matching armchair, on Michael's side of the couch.

"Start from the beginning," Michael said.

"You already know the beginning. That duel last night was broadcast worldwide, and all the kids at school are talking about it. They saw Nathaniel. They saw Joan. Everything."

"You didn't have to follow me through that crowd," Michael pointed out.

"Yes. I. Did. You said it was important to show support, you put on your stupid pouty face, and I fell for it because I didn't want to lose you."

"Then why are you mad at Joan and not me?"

"Because Joan's a whore, and because of that the kids at school called me a whore too."

Joan rolled her eyes and Nathaniel burst into a fresh bout of tears.

"Serious?" Michael said. "There's nothing wrong with being a whore. You can't let them get to you over that."

"There's more," Linda went on, "Nathaniel lost a duel to those punks. They drew a penis on his backpack and then they threw his cards in the toilet and urinated on them, and as if that wasn't bad enough, they gave him a swirly in that same, nasty water."

Joan shuddered. It was happening all over again. A little urine was the least of their worries.

"You talk to the principal?" Michael asked.

"She blew me off. Said this stuff happens to everyone at some point and that it will all blow over once a new fad hits."

"It won't," Joan said darkly, "not until he switches schools at least, but doing that right away would defeat the purpose. They need to forget about that video first. I don't know how long that will take, but take my bodyguard tomorrow. I'll stay home all day. As many days as it takes, actually. Until Seto hires a bodyguard for Nathaniel, I'm not going anywhere."

Linda's mouth dropped open. They all sat in silence before Nathaniel's wail broke the tension. "I want Uncle Seto! He's so tough, nobody defeats him!"

"Not true." Joan leaned forward. "Everyone has a weakness, even Seto. Everyone wants something they can't have. If all you want is some ice cream, you're in really good shape, but those bullies are missing much more from their lives. They wish they had uncles as cool as Seto and Mokuba. They wish they had a whore for an aunt. They wish they had a stepdad as caring and fun as Michael. They wish they had a mom as protective and beautiful as yours. They also wish they were as smart and hardworking as you. They think they can take all those things from you, but those aren't things that can be taken. Do you want to know what Seto would say if he were here? Those bullies are vultures. They think they can take from you and offer nothing in return, but you're worth so much more than that."

Nathaniel's eyes lit up. "Really?"

"Really." Joan turned to Linda. "Let me give you Roland's number. He handles this sort of thing for Seto. I actually don't even have Seto's phone number. I get the feeling he doesn't like being disturbed by whores like me when he's trying to work."

Linda blinked. "Then what was with all that Mrs. Kaiba talk?"

"Mokuba wanted to call me something else, and that's just what we're going with for now. I hope Mokuba gets more comfortable with the word whore eventually, though. I like it."

"What is a whore anyway?" Nathaniel asked. "Mommy won't tell me."

"It's an adult who is so good at making other adults feel good that she gets paid to do it," Joan said.

"Can boys be whores?"

"Usually they're referred to as gigolos, but there are a variety of other terms used."

"Oh. So what's it like being a whore?"

"Dangerous," Linda cut in. "Don't even think about it."

"Why?" Nathaniel asked.

"You don't need to worry about that yet," Linda said. "However, since you still have school tomorrow, you do need to worry about finishing your homework."

"I'll be right back." Joan got up and grabbed her phone from the bedroom. She gave Roland's number, along with Tamara's, to Linda. Linda then dragged a reluctant Nathaniel home to finish his homework.

18