5: Medicine Master
316 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

5: Medicine Master

Bradford’s view

My new teacher is simply amazing. Despite her appearance of youth, her knowledge is profound. I finally know now what it was I failed to learn before: The importance of timing and order in adding ingredients to the pot. She even taught me methods for learning how to change or improve recipes. How to do trial and error in a productive way. I don’t have the funds to experiment very much, but I’ve already begun making records of what I’ve tried. 

I used to think improving a recipe was something only a genius could do. This little teacher has shown me otherwise. Diligent trial and error and lots of record keeping make it possible for even a dunce like me to figure it out with time. From these experiments it even becomes possible to learn the traits of each herb and deduce the effects of any combination. Truly amazing… though I have to admit I don’t really understand how it works, just how to do it.

Today, an unexpected visitor arrived. 

“Master Medea? What brings your eminence to this humble shop?”

“Are the ingredients you sell, the same ones you use to make pills?”

“Of course! If I were to use more expensive ones, I wouldn’t make any money.”

“Indeed, that is true. Is there some way I might meet your teacher?”

“All I can do is ask them if they are willing to meet. I dare not speak on their behalf.”

“They must be quite good for you to improve so much in such a short time.” 

“They are the best teacher I have ever had. I am blessed to have met them.”

Medea’s view

If I didn’t check this place for myself, I’d not have believed the stories. This trash doctor actually makes good medicine now. It’s low grade, but that’s to be expected. He doesn’t have the materials or cultivation needed to make higher grade medicines. 

“Why do you want to meet Brady’s teacher?” 

Who is this girl? Why does she speak like Bradford is her equal or lesser? Is she trying to imply something? I sense no ki from her at all. She can’t be his teacher. Alchemy and medicine making require ki, and the only ki in this place is Bradford’s. He’s clearly the only one making medicine here. 

“Let me know if your teacher decides to see me, Bradford. You know where I work.”

“Indeed, everyone in town knows of the great Medical Pavilion.”

Mellanie’s view

After that brat left, Brady asked me a question: “Do you wish to reply, teacher?”

“No. She ignored me. So, I’ll ignore her too.”

“Of course, teacher.” 

How disappointing. I dropped her a hint, but she didn’t seem to understand it. If she wanted to speak with Brady’s teacher, she should’ve asked me, not him. I guess I’ll have to wait a bit longer to get my meridians fixed. Had she been wise enough to ask me for advice, I could’ve traded lessons for the pills I need. Oh well, I’m in no hurry.

13