11: Discovery
302 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

11: Discovery

Servant’s view

As a maid of the castle, I don’t get a lot of free time. When I do though, I like to browse the poorer side of town. If I were to browse the richer shops, I’d not be able to afford much. It’s a bit shameful, really. 

When I was chosen to join a sect as a child, I thought I was blessed and would have a great future. Instead, I was chosen by some visiting prince to be hired on as a maid. People told me it was an honor. People told me I’d have a chance to gain power and influence. All I do is clean. As my background is nothing more than the child of a poor village, all the others in the castle ignore me. I’m pretty sure my entire job is just to look pretty while cleaning the castle. My cultivation is wasted here. 

Now? Now I stand very confused as I examine the wares in a shop I often liked to visit. 

“Did something happen? Everything here looks a lot better than I remember in the past.” 

“Ah! Yeah, I got myself a new teacher! If you want to cultivate, might I recommend this product? It helps speed up cultivation. I actually have two versions, but I’m not sure which is best for you.” 

“You use it yourself?”

“Yup! I’ve advanced a lot in the past year!”

“I did notice you were closed the last time I managed to come here.” 

“Sorry about that. I had a project I just couldn’t take my eyes off of. If you come back in the future, I’m sure I’ll have even better products!”

“Well, I’ll take this cultivation thing you recommend. It is fascinating to look at.” 

“Isn’t it? Was a real pain to make the first time. I think I’ve gotten pretty good at it now though. You won’t regret the purchase, I guarantee it!”

“Thanks, Sam. Glad to hear you found a good teacher.”

“See ya, Lacy”

At first, I didn’t think much of this new cultivation aid. However, once I made a minor breakthrough, its true potential showed itself. It captured all the energy of the breakthrough, and redirected it back to me, in a repeating cascade that lasted until I’d used it up. While a surprising and painful event at first, it enabled me to use that energy for cultivation immediately, instead of having it be wasted as it normally would be. I’d read of cultivation rooms that could have this effect, but as a mere castle servant, I couldn’t get access to such a place. This little fist sized copper ball full of intricate designs is more valuable to me than I could’ve imagined.

Realizing what I’d found, I purchased two more, and when I next met my friends from the sect, I gave them away as gifts.

Elder’s view

“You’ve been advancing much faster lately.”

“It’s all thanks to Lacy!”

“That common girl? What does she have to do with this?”

“Look!” 

Strange, a three dimensional array made of copper. I thought it was necessary to use a mix of silver and gold to make arrays like this. Copper should be too weak.

“May I borrow this for a bit?”

“Sure, just make sure you give it back dad. Don’t dismantle it trying to figure it out like you did with the last item I gave you!”

“Don’t worry, I won’t do that. Besides, this looks recently made, you could probably buy another if you ask your friend where she got it from.”

“That’s true, she did say she found it in a store.”

Taking the array back to study and compare with my old tomes, I made a shocking discovery: This very array exists in the tomes I have. It was used by the Supreme Smith. This array is something I’ve studied many times, and seeing the real thing, it’s clear there’s something I don’t understand. In the past, I’d thought that maybe the description I had was incomplete, yet I see here the real thing. I’ve made something that looked just like this before, but it didn’t work. The ki flows through this device differently from how it flows through my own attempts at it. There’s clearly a technique I don’t know for changing the way ki flows through a metal.

“What? Y-your Eminence! W-what brings you here?”

Ah, it’s always amusing to see people react like snivelling cowards whenever I step out. The people who actually know me know better, so I can’t intimidate them. Instead they always bug me about making them a new weapon or armor or amulet. Maybe a new flying sword for their disciple. Bah. 

Visiting the Emperor’s palace without notice though? Landing in the middle of a courtyard without prior announcement? Perfect for scaring the piss out of random people. Hah! … she’s not pissing herself. I guess this lady isn’t too cowardly. It’s good for a servant to have some guts.

“Go get Lacy. Tell her, Uncle Smitt has come to visit.”

“Y-yes, of course!”

...

Samantha’s view

“Aren’t you folks a little rich to be visiting my humble shop?”

I recognized Lacy, and knew she was poor, but the pretty lady and handsome man accompanying her were far too well dressed to be as poor as she. 

“Haha! I wasn’t expecting that response! Aren’t you afraid of chasing away wealthy customers?”

“What wealthy customers? Rich people usually just want to cause trouble. Since when would someone with money actually buy something I’ve made? Even my best products are less valuable than the cheapest items wealthy people buy.”

“Maybe they just can’t recognize what real value is! My daughter here, received a gift that I found quite interesting. Upon learning it was made by you, I just had to pay a visit! Haha!”

This man is weird. I guess the well dressed lady is his daughter then?

“Sorry, Sam. Apparently, Uncle Smitt really liked the cultivation array I bought from you.”

“It’s alright. As long as they don’t cause trouble, it’s no big deal.”

Watching ‘Uncle Smitt’ examine my goods was a bit odd. He seemed fascinated by everything I’d made. What was so special about it? It’s just copper and iron goods. No valuable or interesting metals here.

“Would it be possible to meet your teacher?”

“Eh? Um, I’m not sure. I don’t really have a teacher, exactly. While I did receive assistance, I don’t really know for sure who it was that wrote the instructions I was given. I can ask the person I received the scrolls from if they are willing to meet though. Whom should I say is requesting a meeting?”

“Hmmm… I’m just an old man looking for someone to discuss forging with. There aren’t many on my level, after all.”

“Does that mean you think my teacher is as good as you?”

“... if I’m being honest, they are probably better than me.”

“What? Father, how can you say that? Aren’t you the best in the whole continent?”

“I had thought so, but the arrays for sale here… I can’t make them.”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“... Don’t just stare slack jawed at me! It’s true! Her master taught her to make something, I don’t know how to make!”

When I felt it was safe to leave, I quickly paid a visit to the little lady.

“Sam, get up, why are you on your knees to bow before me?”

“You have taught me how to make something even the forge master of the Clear Sky sect cannot make. This is only the appropriate level of reverence for such a gift!”

“Get up, Sam. I’d much rather have you continue work on improving your craft, than waste time kowtowing at my feet. What brings you here anyway?”

“Apologies, he… he said he was an old man who wanted to discuss forging. He hoped he could speak with the one who taught me.”

“I see. Alright, I can go see him. I am curious about the current level of artifice mastery. Let him know, that if he wishes to invite me to visit, I am willing. I’d like to see what sort of craftsmanship he’s capable of, and what it is he’s lacking.”

Such words… she really did write the instructions herself. I cannot fathom why a great master would hide herself in such a way. No matter, I shall deliver this news as quickly as possible. I dare not offend such powerful people. I feel like a mouse being watched by dragons. Even if they are being nice to me, it is still scary. I think I was happier when I thought this little lady was just a servant helping out a hidden master, and believed the man who’d walked in was just an ordinary nobleman. Being surrounded by dragons is scary.

***Author Note***

Someone finally notices Samantha’s work, but it’s a nobody in the castle, and no one in the castle takes note of them. At this rate, by the time anyone important realizes something is up, it will be far too late for them to gain any benefit from it, as these random people will have already surpassed the famous ones.

… wait. This servant shouldn’t be totally alone. She should have friends, right? She’d share this discovery with her friends. Maybe that can make something happen? 20. Woohoo! Someone important notices! Finally!

Oh, and there was another 20 for whether or not the Elder could tell how special the array was. Which is why it turned out to match his existing records.

… my imagination created a very strange sect elder. I don’t understand where that personality came from. I should probably roll to see if anyone takes notice of his odd actions: 5… I guess not. Oh well, him alone should be enough to get things moving.

P.S. yes, I wrote this note as I was writing the chapter.

13