15: Change
351 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

15: Change

Mysterious council of mysteriousness:

“We have to do something about her.”

“I know. If we leave her alone, we’ll just fall further and further behind.”

“How are things going on the plan?”

“Preparations are almost complete.”

“I still need a few more days.”

*slam* A door opens

“Hey! Why are you brats talking quietly in a dark room?”

“Ah! Hey teacher! We’re not up to anything! Really!”

“Eh? What’s this? A half-written letter? You’re all going to ask that child for lessons?! What is this?! I’m your teacher!”

“Everyone who’s attended one of her lessons has gotten way better though! Even the elders attend!”

“Bah! You think I’ll let you attend, when even I haven’t been able to yet!”

… or maybe just a bunch of students plotting how to get lessons from Lane.

Private conversation somewhere in the Clear Sky Sect:

“Headmaster, why do you attend a lesson given by a child? You’ve gone without a haircut longer than she has even been alive.” 

“Must you complain about my hair the moment I come out of seclusion?”

“I just can’t stand all those split ends you ignore. Now don’t dodge my question, why are you attending that girl’s lessons? How could Smitt’s new disciple have anything to teach you?”

“Have you not attended it yourself?” 

“Of course not!”

“Go then. I can’t describe what benefits there are.”

“She’s just teaching low level skills! Phoenix Palm! Jay Walk! Light Step! What’s so special about these things!”

“Did you know the Phoenix Palm is a rejuvenation art?” 

“That’s what the Phoenix Revival art is for. Not the Phoenix Palm!”

“Apparently the Phoenix Palm, when used properly, contains a lesser version of the revival art within it. It relies upon the counter force upon impact to create a new effect.”

“Isn’t it just dispersal of the counter force to reduce the strain of impact?”

“That’s only the second stage of mastery. At the third stage, a practitioner can actually recover a little every time they use it, enabling one to repeatedly attack with the Phoenix Palm endlessly. Draining an opponent’s endurance even if they can block every strike.”

“Endless Palms? That’s a mid level art!”

“Exactly. She explained how to take a low level art and make it as powerful as a mid level art. Her method of explaining it was so good, pretty much everyone in attendance was able to perform it by the end of the day. She employed a clever mix of illusion and oratory to grant immediate understanding.”

“... wait, who’s the teacher and who’s the disciple again? Is Smitt really teaching her anything?”

“I think Smitt’s the one learning from her.”

“... what is going on here?”

“I don’t know, but if I were a man, I’d want to marry her.”

“She’s thirteen.”

“I can wait.”

“You don’t actually have to be a man though.”

“As much fun as it’d be to see all those men’s faces if I took a wife, I don’t actually have any interest in women, and I do want children.”

“Yeah, I know, I was just teasing. I feel the same way you do. Why can’t I find a good man?!”

“You killed him, remember.”

“Oh, right.”

“Next time, when a guy you like insists you shouldn’t hold back in a fight with him, don’t listen.”

“He wanted to prove he was stronger than me, and I thought he really could do it.”

“How many guys have you killed in duels now?”

“I don’t know, I stopped counting after one hundred.”

An unfortunate teacher:

“Hey, teacher, how come no one respects me anymore? I was just gone for three years.”

“Hmph, it’s all because of that brat Elder Smitt brought in. I can’t attend her lessons, and getting into those lessons is all anyone cares about nowadays.”

“Then I’ll just crush everyone at the next tournament! They’ll have to respect me then!”

“You’ll lose.”

“What? Why do you say that? Are her lessons that great?”

“Of course they are. I was strong enough in this sect to have hopes of becoming the next Elder. Now though, all because I can’t get into the lessons, all because some brat insists I’m no good, and carry ill will, I’ve been overtaken by Troy of all people! I can’t even beat Troy now!”

“That weakling who always tried to protect others who were weak too?”

“Yup. That one. That do gooder fool is stronger than me now. Just because of that stupid rule about not teaching bullies.”

“Does that mean I won’t be able to get lessons either?”

“Probably.”

“Pass the alcohol. I want some too.”

...

Mellanie’s view

It took a while, but over time, the attitude and behavior of most people in the Clear Sky Sect did improve. By the time I could get the medicine I needed to repair my meridians and begin cultivating for real, the sect began to meet the minimum requirements for me to consider them a respectable sect. Truly, what the world needs most are good teachers. People can’t gain the wisdom needed to behave themselves without them. After five years, I’ve finally made a good start here. 

***Author Note***

I’m really no good at writing one big story. Instead I string together lots of tiny ones and pretend it’s one big story. It’s just a lot easier for me that way.

14