Chapter 26
95 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 26:

  If you have 101 children, some of them are bound to have all sorts of difficulties. Autism, schizophrenia, ADHD, asthma, allergies, you name it. But due to the various abilities on offer at the hospital all those issues were wiped away and all of our children were developing normally. We didn't have to play Russian roulette with childbirth here in Eden, we automatically, invariably hit the jackpot. Likewise, due to the hawk-like supervision of their mothers and the powers available at the hospital (and the fact that in a village of this size it was quite easy to reach said hospital quickly), not a single one of our children died due to illness or accident.

  No sudden infant death syndrome here, thank you very much. Our babies were here to stay.

  Our children were too young to really determine if any of them were fruitcakes, but if the issue came along that too would be cured by Orihime's power of rejection.

  In the modern world, around 20% of children had a serious defect. Whether it be a mental illness or preference for sexual degeneracy, having a child meant running the gauntlet. Here in Eden I could have 101 children and not worry about a thing. As promised to Cure Flora, the number of defective children born into this world was 0%.

  Just the fact that the mothers were teenagers instead of 40 year olds already helped greatly. The lack of weird chemicals in all of our products, our air and our water contributed equally. And finally magic handled the rest.

  I had thought that with sufficient resources polygamy had no drawbacks. If you can feed, clothe and shelter all your children, why couldn't you have a vast harem? With Sakura's Appear magic, the baby's clothing and shelter was taken care of. With Kotori's golem workforce, our food was planted, cultivated, harvested and processed into edible form without any of us having to lift a finger. With Shana and Juvia's steam turbine, our buildings had heating and air conditioning, refrigeration, laundromats, lighting, stovetops, microwaves, dishwashers, etc. Economically we should have been able to take care of thousands of additional people, much less 101.

  What I had not accounted for was time. Babies required huge amounts of people's time. They had to be cared for with a personal touch, in a way that they could bond with their mother and feel safe and comfortable throughout the growing process. There was no substitute, no product, no manufactured good, no golem that could step in to do this job. In a monogamous marriage, two parents could balance the amount of time spent with the child, giving them leeway to sleep or just relax for a night off. In a polygamous harem, I couldn't be of any help at all to the mothers. They had to stay with their children 24/7.

  Now, the wives used their ingenuity to come up with their own solutions. When one mother wanted to take a bath, eat dinner, take a nap or get some work done, she would offload her baby onto the mother next door. The two babies would hopefully play together for a while, and the assigned babysitter would make sure they both didn't get hurt.

  By trading their babies back and forth like this, they could open up windows of breathing room for themselves. But there was no substitute for cuddling and pair bonding with a baby than their actual mother, who would nurse them at her breast. The baby could tell the difference between a stranger's touch and their mother's, and they would not stay content for long.

  If I had been 100 men instead of one, I could have been the one to hold the baby while mother slept. I could have been the intimate associate a baby could rely on other than the mother. But I was only 1 person so trying to help out was a waste of time. There's no way I could have made a sufficient impression on 101 separate children that they could trust me the same as their own mothers.

  I thought monogamy was preferred because it meant 100 separate paychecks flowing into the family vault instead of just 1. I was naive. Monogamy's best selling point was that two trustworthy adults were available to take care of every needy child. You could not buy time. Time was the bottleneck to childrearing, not money.

  Monogamy had its uses -- but even as a polygamous family, we had figured something out. Our babies were happy and healthy. And polygamy had its own advantages -- like getting to hang out with all sorts of different cool people and never getting bored with each other -- so now that the crisis was past, I was feeling pretty good about my choices.

  Polygamy worked -- if the mothers got along, if they were all faithful to their husband, and if I treated everyone if not exactly equally, at least well. If I at least showed that I loved them and there was a place for each of them in a corner of my mind, the rickety ship would continue to sail.

  We had reached a point where it was better for the kids to have their own rooms, so Sakura Kinomoto and Lucy (wielding Gemini she was as good as a 2nd Sakura) were tasked with adding additional floors and elevators to our mansion. The caretakers of the mansion could only walk so far, so stacking higher instead of wider was the only sensible solution. Most of the 2nd floor was a replication of the 1st floor via Sakura's Mirror card, so it went much faster than one would expect.

  Just like this, if we had a 2nd batch of kids, we could just add a 3rd floor, and so on. I wouldn't mind everyone living together for multiple generations of grandchildren and great-grandchildren in our very own Burj Khalifa. If we love each other, why live apart?

  In two more years our children would be grown up enough that I could resume impregnating girls who were ready for a 2nd. But if there were more than 10 girls asking for it at a time, I decided to resolve the issue by lottery and only try to impregnate the 10 winners. I didn't want more than 10% of our women knocked out of the workforce tending to young children ever again. We had plenty of time, so from here on we should take our time and relax a bit more.

  It may seem strange, but even though I'd been living with my wives for 8 years now, I felt like I'd barely gotten to spend any time with them yet. I actually missed them fiercely when the babies hijacked our abode. I wanted to go out on dates again, see what cool new art Earth had made while we were busy and enjoy it together, and have nice romantic sex with girls who weren't tired and hoping to get it over with.

  And now that many of my children were five years old and capable of stringing sentences together, I wanted to spend time getting to know them too. Rather than crying babies, if I could spend some family time with mothers and children together, read to them, listen to music together, go on walks together, and get all the children used to my face and who their Papa was, I thought that was the better investment right now. But we did need more babies. Especially for the mothers who wanted more. I wasn't against new life entering the world, it was just a lesson I had taken newly to heart: 'moderation in all things.'

  I decided the best way to get to know my children was to become their "Arts, Literature, Philosophy and Morality" teacher for two hours out of every day. This wasn't as difficult as it first may have seemed. For now all it meant was watching Pretty Cure together. But someday, when their vocabulary increased and they began to understand more of the human heart, they could consume the good stuff, and I could instill into them the moral lessons I wanted them all to have before reaching adulthood.

  It also didn't hurt to have a grown man with a deep voice telling the kids to shut up and sit still. Compared to the loving mothers they were used to being cuddled by, they had an awe of this strange organism that looked and acted differently from everyone else they had ever seen. I may as well have been a T-Rex I was such a rare specimen, and it put the fear of Cute-sama into them. Which was kind of funny because most of the girls in my harem could have easily beaten me up. But I was tall and big and old and gruff, and all my wives treated me deferentially as both husband and Mayor, and so the myth was instilled in the kids' heads that upsetting me was a bad idea.

  "Listen to your father and do as he says." Was a phrase often kicked around whenever I came to visit their personal shared rooms. Since my children loved their mothers and trusted them implicitly, they accommodated themselves to this new world order, and so I usually interacted with children while they were on their best behavior.

  I kept a set of flashcards with the names of all my children and who had begat whom. Every night I drilled with them until I could finally remember all the relevant information. The names of my wives, the names of my children, and which wife was the mother of which child. I drilled and drilled and drilled, and so when I saw them in school I was able to attach a name to every face, and be their proper teacher and father who knew them personally, as an individual. That had been my minimum benchmark as a parent. Sakura Mamiya's son was Rinne. Kuon's daughter was Anju. Neither of them would be sad or mad.

  Incidentally, all of our children were raised speaking Japanese. We may not have had a common tongue in the 1st generation, but we all agreed it would be best for the children if we settled on one for the 2nd generation, and the vast majority of my waifus came from Japanese settings, so Japanese it was. My goal was for all of my children to be bilingual in both speaking and writing, English and Japanese, so they could understand as much of the world's accumulated knowledge and art as possible. Yet another reason school would be so important for them to attend.

* * *

  We started breeding in year 2 E.T. It took four years for all of my wives to give birth, so that took us to 6 E.T. It took another five years for all our children to enter the school system, which brought us to 11 E.T. No new children were allowed until this benchmark was passed. The oldest children were 8 years old and the youngest were 5, so we had 1st through 4th graders learning progressively harder material in different classrooms with different teachers. I assigned Nozomi to the highest grade, Nemu to teach the 3rd graders, Yume to teach the 2nd graders, and Himeno to teach the 1st graders. In addition we introduced two elective sports our children could play with the appropriate grounds, uniforms and equipment. Sayaka was the coach of the soccer squads and Chiwa of the baseball teams.

  Wakaba instructed all of the children how to swim and acted as their lifeguard in the school swimming pool.

  Someday, when there was a large enough population, I intended to introduce more sports like basketball, volleyball and tennis. But with even two soccer teams that was 22 players, and two baseball teams who could play each other was 18 players. Take into account at least a couple substitutes for each team and you were up to 26 soccer players and 22 baseball players. That was already 48 children out of our 101 to play the bare minimum of one game against each other. Some children weren't interested in organized physical activity and thus soccer + baseball soaked up the entire available pool of recruits.

  "Arts, Literature, Philosophy and Morality" class was taught with all four grades together. This was because there was no need to get all the children to concentrate on the same thing together. So long as they were reading or watching something on the approved list, they were properly doing their schoolwork. We gave each of them their own personal iPad with streaming access to all the approved content buried deep in our server's memory vaults. My job was simply to make sure they were staying on task, making use of at least one choice or another, weren't making noise or hitting anyone and disrupting the other students, and being there to answer any questions the children might have about a word they didn't understand or a scene they didn't understand, or discuss with them what they liked or didn't like about the story they'd just imbibed. Though I was intent on getting my kids to learn morality from this approved list, it was still the easiest and most fun part of their day -- because they could choose for themselves what they found most entertaining out of all the best entertainment the world had ever produced and then pass the course just by being entertained by it.

  As far as the kids were concerned my course was a brief break from school, like a long relaxing lunch hour. They didn't realize this was the main reason school existed.

  On that note, the school cafeteria seated all 101 of our children together, where they could gather, chat about what had happened so far today, and eat fresh good meals. The cafeteria ladies who handled cooking lunch, serving lunch and cleaning up after lunch were Aisia, Koko and Menma.

  We also had an arts and crafts elective, where if you didn't like soccer or baseball but also still wanted to hang out with friends after school, you could be taught acting, singing, dancing, sewing, drawing and the like. Kobato was their teacher, and she would invite in experts to give demonstrations and lessons according to their field. Our kids had access to some of the greatest talents in the world, from Urara to Nico to Nadeko to Kirino to Sae, so the classroom was always lively.

  The core courses, the hard learning, were English, Japanese, History and Math. Perhaps when they got older the curriculum could expand, but until they were literate and numerate it's not like they could understand anything more anyway so it would have to wait.

  As such, the school day went like this:

1) Arrive at school, a short walk away from home, chatting with your siblings along the way, at 9:30 am, after everyone having eaten breakfast together in the mansion.

2) Separate into 1st through 4th grade classrooms.

3) First period, 45 minutes -- learn to read and write Japanese appropriate to your grade level.

4) Second period, 45 minutes -- learn math appropriate to your grade level.

5) Third period, 45 minutes -- learn world history and the lessons to be derived from it appropriate to your grade level.

6) Lunch break/Recess, 1 hour -- eat something delicious, hot and nutritious, go out and play if you like.

7) "Arts, Literature, Philosophy and Morality" class, 2 hours -- watch, play or read whatever you want from the approved list.

8) Fourth period, 45 minutes -- learn to read and write English appropriate to your grade level.

9) After school elective, 1 hour -- swimming (As a community that lived near the beach, I was adamant that all our children know how to swim. There would be no tragic drownings like what happened to Wakaba in her source work on my watch. Wakaba herself would make sure that would never happen again) until you've demonstrated mastery, and after that either soccer, baseball, arts and crafts or kitakubu.

10) Walk back to the mansion with your siblings and get ready for dinner, where everyone would assemble together yet again.

  As such, school lasted from 9:30am to 3:30pm for people who elected to go home, and from 9:30am to 4:30pm for those who wanted to stay and play with their friends. Six or seven hour school days depending. There was no homework. Just like real work, once you punched out of school, your school day was considered finished, and you didn't have to think about it again until tomorrow. The rest of the day was yours to do with as you pleased.

  Since our children were intelligent and well behaved, thanks to the genes of their overspecced parents, they could easily keep pace with the learning speed of regular children back on Earth even with this lighter menu. If anything we were progressing faster than the normal school year. Our children were more mature than theirs on a year for year basis.

  I intended to introduce school uniforms, mainly so that I could see all the cute girls dressed up in sailor outfits, but only starting in middle school. Starting in high school they would level up into a newer and even better looking uniform. Until they had the figures to merit those holy trappings, it would just be a mockery of the real thing. School uniforms were meant for the chosen people -- people mature, well behaved, disciplined and beautiful enough to lend them their proper grace. For middle schoolers it would be the underclassman uniform from Da Capo. For high schoolers it would be the uniform from Rewrite.

  Perhaps for our grandchildren I could switch things up into a different cosplay set but I was confident in my choices for this generation. The girls of these series were simply ravishing. Dressing up like them could never go wrong. Boys in school uniforms also looked much more handsome than the sloppy, baggy stuff plaguing America. And since these children were supposed to get together, marry and have children by age 20, I wanted everyone to look their best while they commingled in class. It was important for love to bloom naturally while they had a chance, because for anyone who wasn't finding a handsome or beautiful partner there was only arranged marriage left.

  Also in middle school I intended to introduce an additional 1 hour block of instruction: job training. The kids would each choose how to become good at something practical and necessary to our lives, like construction, manufacturing, repairs, computer programming, nursing, etc., and learn to do it. No one could teach them these skills because none of us had any of them, so it would be on the honor system whether they became effective or not. Someday all our magicians would be dead and we would need our descendants to know how to do all necessary tasks to maintain a technological civilization. Once we got down to grandchildren, I hoped to introduce a master-apprentice system, where those with useful job skills would personally train up their successors, but we didn't have any masters so obviously apprenticeship was not currently an option. They would just have to learn it all from textbooks, YouTube tutorials and practical hands-on experimentation. As our children became accustomed to their jobs, I hoped to rely more on their work and less on our magic until they could produce everything we needed without any cheats.

  Middle School included the three grades of 12-13 year olds, 13-14 year olds and 14-15 year olds. It started in April and ended in March, just like in Japan, but the cherry trees were always in bloom and the temperature here was always temperate, so there was no need for summer or winter uniforms, (we wore perpetually summer uniforms, all the better for me to look at the luscious maidens with) and no real sense of the seasons passing.

  High School included the three grades of 15-16 year olds, 16-17 year olds and 17-18 year olds. After that there was no college, so they would have to apply at the Mayor's office for a suitable job based on the job training field they had selected, of which 'mother' or 'housewife' were fine. I would assign them their 'Sacred Task,' as it were, give them their citizen's dividend, build however many extra rooms they needed in our ever-growing mansion, and they could be well on their way having their own children without any fear of want.

  I felt like I had a good plan for these 101 kids. Now all they had to do was grow up and live it out. If they followed my plan, utopia awaited them. If they didn't, well, I would order one of my enforcers to throw them off a cliff. There was no sense in letting bad apples proliferate and like a cancer undermine our perfect society. Paradise required the right kind of people, and the right kind of people were the ones who could follow my orders.

  If members of the 2nd generation couldn't meet a minimum floor of goodness I didn't want them. I didn't need them. We could kill them and try again with some new children who listened and behaved better. I had all the time in the world, and 100 eternally young wives, to do things over and get things right.

* * *

  It was year 11 E.T. Our children were all out of diapers and in school, my wives were back at work doing what they enjoyed doing (or what needed to be done, whether they enjoyed it or not. I think they enjoyed it though?), and I was ready to start flirting with them and impregnating them again. When I opened up the lottery system for those who wanted a second child, all 100 volunteered.

  I asked them if they were crazy, to want to go through the same thing so quickly, but they said it would be unfair to demand all of their children marry and have two children by age 25 if they didn't show the willingness to do the same, and so they had agreed amongst themselves that they would all try for two kids before their kids had their first child. As role models and trailblazers, it was up to us to show them how it was done.

  If I impregnated ten wives every year for the next ten years, I could produce a full second batch by the time our eldest were 18 and graduating from high school, so the timing was just right. We agreed that all ten lottery winners would get to have sex with me during each half of every month, for maximum chance of germination. That meant the remaining 10 days of each month would be afforded to the unlucky 90 wives who didn't win the lottery. Or in other words, each of them would get a day with me and to have sex with me in a non-impregnating way over the course of the year, but only one, compared to the lottery winner's 24. Again, I felt the lesson of 'moderation in all things,' applied. No one completely shut out, and no swarms of babies all at once, would maximize happiness for all.

  The lottery winners were Asuna, Rin Natsume, Rose, Deedlit, Yume, Koko, Yukino, Isara, Yoru and Chiwa. However, Yoru insisted she would never have sex without Asa so we made a special exception and included Asa as a lottery winner too. So for the first year of pregnancy resumptions, I was lucky enough to have twenty-four twincest dates over the course of the year. I got hard just thinking about it.

1