Chapter 52: The Guardian of Constitution
1.3k 6 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

Enjoy! If you like my work, consider favoriting the chapter or leaving a review.

Song of the Day: Selenium Forest by Plini

Patreon is Currently 10 CHAPTERS AHEAD. How exciting!

Check out the Discord if you wanna talk to me. The link is at the bottom. 

There was only one more guardian, but the sun was already starting to set. The spiders should be more active in the dark, and I wanted to find a place where I could be relatively safe while I waited for the morning.

I learned early on that the forest on the edge of the garden was relatively young, meaning that the trees were smaller and less sturdy. While an older oak might be able to support the large spiders that make this level their home, the young trees could not. They also grew far too thick for the warriors or greater spitters to intrude in, not to mention the rare rockback spiders which were even larger. I flew to the edge of the gardens and found a nice tree that I could camp in within a dense copse of young birch, a spot that would protect me from intrusion while I slept through the night. As the sun set, I made myself comfortable, using some spare paracord to loosely tie myself to the tree so that I wouldn’t fall off in the night. I then wrapped my tail around the branch for even more support and started dozing off.

The morning came quickly, and I woke with the sun. As planned, I had no problems in the night. I collected my gear and got ready for the final fight on this floor. There was only one more day of increased drop rates, and I wanted to make the most of it, so I needed to deal with the guardian quickly.

Finding it was rather simple. The guardian of constitution was huge and slow, gently creeping across the landscape. The spiders that It encountered were left alone; it seemed far less prone to attack than the guardian of strength was. I approached the behemoth and flew to its side where it couldn’t easily strike me. It seemed to pay me no mind, continuing its walk through the grassy field as if I wasn’t even there.

Experimentally, I used my right claws to slash one of the rocky legs. I was greeted with nothing but a shower of sparks, the hard shell of the guardian impenetrable. The guardian didn’t even seem to notice, and it kept on walking. Next, I drew my sword and tried to slash one of the leg joints. This time, the attack did manage to bite into the carapace, but no more than a couple of inches. Considering the size of the spider, there was no way that was enough to even damage it. While the legs appeared to be made of mossy stone, they were actually part of the spider. Considering its massive constitution, the small scratch would be healed within a few dozen minutes. Killing this guy was not going to be easy.

In exasperation, I decided to visit its head. Maybe I could attack its eyes as a potential weakness. The front of the spider was covered in droopy vines, completely obscuring all vision of where its eyes might be. Carefully, I got closer to the top of the head. Using my sword, I sliced away the vines covering the small hill where the eyes should have been located, finally revealing a small cluster of black beady orbs.

As soon as its vision became clear, the gargantuan arachnid froze.

Suddenly, a deep, ancient voice started echoing within my mind.

[Oh? Young one, was it you that cleared the vines from my eyes?]

Taken aback, I managed to stammer out a quick, “Y-yes?”

[You have this old man’s thanks. It has been a long time since I’ve seen the garden… Now then, what are you doing here? Why have you come to find me?]

This was rather unexpected. This was the second spider I’ve encountered that was immediately non-hostile, but the first one that could speak. Was it possible to get the key without killing the big fella? Killing something that seems so friendly doesn’t exactly sit right with me. There was no harm in trying.

“I’m looking for the final key to the next floor, and apparently you are its keeper.”

The guardian dipped his head down in a nod, almost shaking me off.

[Yes, indeed. May I surmise that you have already defeated my younger brethren?]

“Yes… they didn’t exactly give me many other options though.”

[Hmmm. They are far younger than me, so it only makes sense. Fret not though, by the grace of Her Majesty, they will return, good as new.]

“I see. Wait, there it is again. You said you were old, but this dungeon has only been around for three weeks? How is that possible?”

[Oh? Has it been such a paltry amount of time? It was decided when I was created that I would be old and wise, and so old and wise I became. While to you it may feel like only three weeks, I have been in this garden for centuries… I have also been granted some access to the knowledge of the world through my meditation and dedication to training.]

“That’s… wow, okay. So, I have to ask… I want to move on to the next floor, but I don’t exactly relish the idea of fighting with you. Is there any way you could give me the key without us fighting?”

[Maybe, just maybe… It seems… there is no problem with it, but I must give you a challenge in order to do so.

My challenge is thus: on my back lies a tome containing some understandings I’ve gleaned through my life. If you can learn the contents the tome requests of you, I will grant you the key. Is that fair?]

“Yes! I’ll do it.”

After my response, the guardian of constitution crouched down again, making it easy for me to climb on top of his massive abdomen. This was easily the coolest thing to have happened to me to date. Learning a secret technique from an ancient spider that talked like Gandalf? Yes, please.

The book was located at the base of the tree, in a small circle of soft green grass, next to the spring. How the guardian had running water coming from its back, I had no idea. The book itself was bound in leather, the front depicting a trio of mountains, but no text. Crouching down, I placed my hand on the cover. The second my skin made contact, the tome slammed open, the pages rapidly turning before finally stopping, leaving the book open before me somewhere around the middle.

At the page opened there was no text, but there were pictures of a person performing some kind of sword art. Clearly, the guardian had noticed I wielded a blade, and the challenge reflected that. Propping the book upon a rock, I began to work through the stances, activating focus to assist me. My feet were wide apart, my body held at an angle similar to a fencing stance. The footwork was slow and sturdy, the blade movements focused on defense rather than offense. I lunged and danced through the moves, but they were difficult to master. Something about them felt off at first, the technique focused on standing your ground and deflecting attacks when my current style was more focused on avoidance.

After about an hour had passed, I heard a ding, and a box fell out of the sky, landing on the guardian’s back. First, I checked the alert.

Alert! Max Skill Level Reached! Max Status Increased!

 

Combat Skills: 100xp

Beginner Swordsmanship – lvl 14 -> 30 (MAX)

*New* Swordsmanship – 1/50

 

Max Status Increased:

Con +1

 

Woah. Only two hours of work, and I reached the max level for the skill… this technique was something special. Yet again, I got a new skill from maxing out my sword skill this time simply called ‘Swordsmanship’. Also, for the first time, I had managed to increase the maximum status for one of my attributes. Constitution had increased both its current and max values and now sat at 32, probably as a result of training the unique combat skill. I crouched down and opened the chest. Once again, I found a key, thus securing my entry to the next floor. The other contents of the box were quite strange.

Path of the Crystal Core – a cultivation technique based around developing a stronger core, which thereby strengthens your connection to earth, enhances internal mana conduits and improves the constitution. Requires Rank 3.

Mountain Stance – A sword art developed by the Guardian of Constitution centered around holding your ground. Requires Earth Aether connection, monster race, and Advanced Swordsmanship level 10.

 

Both were earth aligned techniques, neither of which seemed to fit my race or build. They seemed rather specific though, and considering the way the guardian spoke about the tome on his back, I doubt they are random. I should ask the guardian to see what’s up with that. I returned to my spot on the head of the spider to talk.

“Hey, did you send me these two manuals?”

[Indeed, I did, young one. Are you unsatisfied?]

“Well… they seem cool, and all, but they’re both earth aligned. I’m a storm paraelemental, so earth isn’t my cup of tea…”

[Astute of you to notice. Yes, the earth is my primary source of power. And yes, you are a storm paraelemental. But you are also connected to something more… something far more impressive than just a simple aether stream, are you not?]

I thought back to the last aether stream I connected to in the vast void. It was then that I encountered Norr and was taken into her domain. Remembering her beautiful visage, I could feel myself start to blush again. Could he possibly mean my connection to her?

“Does this have something to do with the goddess?”

[Indeed. You can correct me if I am wrong, but you were selected as a champion candidate, were you not?]

“…yes.”

[And are your bones not made from metal? Your heart not carved from crystal?]

“They are.”

[Well, there it is. You ARE connected to the earth, and in more than just one way. Being a champion of Norr is far more than just some paltry title. Even being a candidate has its effects. While you are currently a daughter of the storms, that does not mean that is all you will become. For example, tell me, how many storm paraelementals do you think have tapped into the positive plain to access ice?]

“I’m sure there are several…”

[The correct answer is NONE. Your race is an agent of chaos, while ice is an element of order. Ice should be anathema to you, but you have incorporated it into yourself… I do not know how such a thing is possible, but that is information for you to find out, and for me to ponder.

If you still think my gifts in poor taste, maybe this will change your mind. Tell me, young one, have you fought anyone with a powerful connection to earth aether?]

I thought back once again. Does a golem count? That crystal golem, the leader of the gems. My skills and attacks had such a neutered effect against him, the lightning barely doing more than singing him.

“I fought a crystal golem, once.”

[Oh? And how did that go?]

I experienced a brief flashback of being completely impaled and grimaced.

“…Not great.”

He made a chittering noise beneath me, his whole carapace vibrating in a beating rhythm. It took me a few seconds to realize that the guardian was laughing at me. Jerk.

[It’s expected. Very expected. Earth, as an element, opposes air by its very nature. Lightning is a form that air aether can take when it is introduced to chaos aether and is therefore extremely weak against earth attribute defense. If you were to incorporate some earth element abilities into your skillset, it would help you overcome part of that weakness. At the very least, it would teach you how your enemy attacks. It is fine to specialize in evasion, but if the cost is neglecting all defense, you are simply asking for a quick death.]

“That makes some sense, I guess. But is earth always stronger than air? If they are opposites, shouldn’t air have the advantage against earth sometimes?”

[Indeed, it does. While earth’s defense will best air’s offense every time, earth’s slow offense cannot even touch air’s agile defense. Do you see? The elements are cyclical, neither one holding a strong advantage over the other at its heart. They are opposites, the same as fire and water. You must remember though, earth enemies are still your greatest adversary, and they will pose the most risk to you when you fight.]

“I see… thank you!”

It was so weird. This spider was technically as old as I was, yet it was as if he was an old wise man living on a mountain peak. How could this be? The metaphysics of it were starting to mess with my brain. Was it all acting? All a lie? Were all of the memories he had fake? Or was he somehow actually as old as he claimed?

[Now, young one, it is best you move along. If you have more questions, there are a myriad of sages around the world that would gladly help you out.]

I left the guardian where he was and flew back around the castle to the front. The gate of the castle was unguarded and was cast from a sleek black metal. Three keyholes adorned its barred surface. One by one, I entered the keys, turning them as I went. After the third key clicked, the gates swung wide, and I stepped through them, finding myself back in the hub.

I sat down with my back against the wall and started to collect my thoughts.

Luna… what is up with that guardian? He seemed so genuine, so old. Were all of his memories lies? Was his advice planted into his brain to share with traveling adventurers? That seems so… sad.

Oh, Vic. It amazes me sometimes how you can be so ferocious in battle, yet care so genuinely for someone who should, by all rights, be your enemy.

Thanks, I guess…

This question hits close to home for me, as it is something I’ve experienced myself. Have you ever thought about perceived time? If you could think at twice the speed you currently do, would you not, technically, be twice as old compared to everyone else? I, personally, can process information 100 times faster than you can. I don’t use the ability all the time, but if you were to consider me more than 2500 years old, that wouldn’t be incorrect.

The dungeons use a similar system. They can change their flow of time from within. They can even change the flow of time for individual monsters. This means that when you enter a dungeon that appears as a run-down house, it probably once looked like a normal house and then became run down after a long time. It is a complex topic, but that is how the system operates.

That put my heart at ease. I didn’t like the idea that the monsters could be given intelligence and sentience, but they would just be fakes created by the system. It made me feel better that his experiences weren’t all lies, and that he was a real person. Well, as much of a real person as a 20-foot-tall spider monster could be. I breathed out a sigh of relief, and checked my bag again, making sure nothing was rattling around.

The gate to the twelfth level was open, and I stepped onto the circle, ready for my next adventure.

If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the discord HERE please. I'm working on getting an editor through Patreon funds, but for now, I'm focusing on editing my stuff more.

Thanks for Reading! If you like my story, leave a rating, review, or favorite!

 

Writing a story while not being a full-time writer is hard! I’m doing what I can to keep things going, but it all depends on whether or not I can make Ideascape at the very least a part-time job. To help finance this, I've decided to set up a Patreon. The Patreon tiers are below. If you want me to continue to write as I go into grad school or the workforce, that's how I'll be able to do it. Euros and Pounds are automatically transferred into USD through Patreon, so you don’t need to worry about currency exchange if that was a concern (I've had people ask before).

 

1$ - Spoilers! For people who just really need to know what happens next. Cliffhanger? Forget it! Now you know!

5$ - Supporters! All advance chapters are unlocked.

10$ - Fan! You must really like Ideascape, and honestly, I'm pretty jazzed about it. Subscribing to this tier means that you can create a character, and I will straight up add them into the story as a background character. If they're really cool and unique, they might become significant in the future. You never know! This is going to be limited based on user response. 

20$ - Superfan! Damn. All benefits from previous tiers. You can choose two characters and have me create a custom side story about them. I'll write anything. 1500 words, unless it’s fun to write, then more probably. Literally anything. Just ask.

35$ - Why! Just why! I will custom make a resin-cast set of D&D dice to your own specifications (currently limited colors available), and then send them to you! You also get the benefits of all other tiers. It might take some time, but I'll do it. For international shipping, other rates may apply, but I'll do what I can do.

50