Chapter 60: Changes on the Horizon
1.1k 3 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

Enjoy!

Patreon is Currently 19 CHAPTERS AHEAD. If you feel like supporting me, you can send me coffee money on PayPal, or subscribe for bonus chapters.

I stayed with Taylor chatting at the picnic table for a few more minutes before we decided we were ready to leave, our business at the Bazaar concluded. There was only one order of business left that I needed to deal with while I was there; choosing a new class.

I had finished all of the class skills and was ready to grab a couple more, but I was still a bit indecisive. Should I try and get another pair of techniques for storm martial artist? I could pick up a sword class too, changing my sword skills to something better, or adding onto them. I could also dip into magic, improving that side of myself. I could even get a supplementary class to teach me mapping or tracking skills, which would help me greatly as I explored dungeons and the wild. There were just too many potential options, and I was still lacking a good direction for my class development.

Luna, what do you recommend I do about my class?

It’s up to you, Vic. Classes are a way to get starter skills that one wouldn’t normally be able to pick up without a dedicated teacher. Any truly powerful class will require practice and mastery similar to your previous one, but because you are going to continue your dungeon dive, getting more skills to work on will only take more time. You can go that route if you wish. You have enough skills currently in the process of leveling that getting more would be a bit of a detriment.

You could also take a supplementary class for crafting, taking advantage of your dexterity and your crafter skill. Learning how to repair armor and weapons on the go could save your life, and creating gear yourself is a good way to ensure you are always well equipped. With as much gold as you have, you could set quests in the guild for materials, though you would need to hunt periodically to keep your instincts at bay.

For you at present, the best thing about getting a new class would be starting another strengthening technique. Considering your varied fighting style, I think you would get the highest increased combat potential out of a magic-based class with a mental strengthening technique, something to bring your intelligence and wisdom in line with your physical skills. You could also take yet another body strengthening technique, improving on your physical stats again, but it would only grant about half of the points it would otherwise due to how strong your body is already if you chose to increase strength and agility.

Wait a second. Luna, is it possible I could get a strengthening technique from the floor drop you promised me? Instead of the rarest item on the floor, could you give me the rarest strengthening technique?

I don’t see why not. I don’t have any restrictions on what I can grant from the floor, so I was going to pick something good for you anyway. I can let you pick and choose from a few items without issue.

Also, would the technique be better or worse than one granted from a class?

It should be better. The highest rarity strengthening technique that the obelisks can give you right now is blue.

Really? What was the rarity of the technique I used?

The Chaos Body Strengthening technique you used was uncommon. I should warn you though, if you get a second class that has a strengthening technique, you will be unable to learn any techniques dropped by the dungeon until next rank.

Alright, then. I guess I’ll have to wait to pick my second class until I leave the dungeon, for good. I’ll keep working on my basic skills as I dive. That way whatever class I do eventually get will be even stronger.

I told Taylor about my plans, and after hearing my explanations, she agreed that it was the best option to wait until my dive was finished. Next, I wanted to make a short trip back home to drop off my clothes, and then I wanted to check in with Steph at the new guild location. Taylor decided to join me on my trip north, as Steph wanted her to grow some trees in the area, strengthen the wood in the building itself using magic, and build some furniture. I couldn't understand why it was so important she was there to strengthen the wood when you could just use a little magic talisman. I would have to ask her about it when I got the chance.

I grabbed Taylor after she and put her sunglasses on and took off. On the way back I wanted to fly over the frenzy wolf territory to see how it was doing. I headed a bit more south to get me to the general area, but as I got closer, I was shocked by what I saw.

The entire section for blocks and blocks around the junkyard had been abandoned and cordoned off, and the entire chunk of the city in ruins. Vines and trees grew through foundations and walls, and the roads were cracked and overgrown with grass. Strange animals, probably the magical equivalent of the local fauna, could be seen walking about eating the new foliage growing from the earth. If I hadn’t been there two weeks before and was told this was a ruin from one hundred years ago, I could believe it. The only signs of human life were the adventurers I could spot occasionally driving through the area in ATV’s, their trails creating furrows in the new growth. I stopped in the air, using my levitation to hold us aloft. I noticed I was unconsciously tightening my grip on Taylor, so I loosened up my arms, but kept her secure, nevertheless.

“Taylor, what the fuck happened here? There were people that lived here… shops, boutiques, warehouses… how is it all so overgrown now?”

“This started happening about a week and a half ago on the very outskirts of the city. It’s not surprising you didn’t notice considering the direction you came from. It hasn’t spread east yet.”

“Why didn’t anyone tell me? Do we know what it is?”

“No one told you because you didn’t ask, Vic. Its… nature. That’s all. Magic makes plants and animals grow like crazy. They grow right through any non-magical materials as if they weren’t even there. Ah, look over there. See that building with the red roof?”

I looked where she was pointing and saw it. A small store with a red metal roof that was somehow perfectly untouched by the wild growth around it. The trees were growing in front of the building, and the grass grew around the foundation, but that was all.

“Taylor, is that building one with warding paper on it?”

“You’re close. After this growth started, we ran some tests on structures. The two buildings next to it were ones with warding paper, but the spell failed after a few days. The magic was sound and should have lasted forever, but because of the material used in the ward, it expired. That building still standing is one I used nature magic on to reinforce the wood framing.”

So magic was starting to reclaim the world? Was this happening everywhere? In a couple more months what would this place look like?

“Wait! Taylor! My house! We need to go reinforce it right now!”

“Haha, don’t worry Vic. Cindy took me out there the day we figured out what was going on, and I fixed it up, complete with some rad magical trees.”

“Magical trees?”

“Yep. There’s a ruin about a day to the southwest that someone discovered. One of the drops is a seed for a tree that repels rank 1 monsters. Handy, right?”

“Was that the tree you planted in the training ground behind the apartment?”

“That’s right. Oh, by the way, you should meet with Ellie. She said that she has something for you. She’s a sweet kid and is wicked good at magic. A person worth meeting.”

It took me a second to remember that Ellie was the girl currently living in the ranch house. I had been ignoring her for some time, but I didn’t want to get the armor yet until I had good enough materials for it, and I had a suspicion I would find some awesome stuff in the next few floors of the dungeon. I’d imagine she could wait a week or so while I finished up, assuming I didn’t get stuck again and have to power level.

“I will, Taylor, I just want to finish this dungeon first. I’m trying to not get distracted.”

“Not get distracted, eh? This coming from the girl who just spent three hours shopping and flirting with boys.”

“Oh, come on! There was only one, and it was just a phone number.”

“I’m just messing with you, sweetie. I’m happy I got to hang out with you today. Do what you’ve gotta do. Now, let’s get going Ms. Chauffeur. I’ve got places to be. Everything will be fine if you keep doing what you’re doing. You’re good at fighting monsters, so keep it up. I’m good with magic plants, so leave it to me. You have no idea how useful all of the materials we’ve stolen from your room have been.”

As she reassured me, she patted my cheek like I was a kid. I shook my head at her silliness and rocketed off towards the apartment, making her squeal. Stealing from my room, were they? I thought those piles of loot looked a little bit light. Honestly, I didn’t care, as long as if I needed the materials they were available to me.

I didn’t stay long, leaving Taylor on the fire escape and just tossing the sack of clothes into my room. I left again as quickly as I could and flew off towards the north. I was glad that Taylor was here to help guide me, as she was a whiz with roads and directions. My ability to navigate was decent, but considering I had no idea where I was going without my notes, her instructions were invaluable. We found the guild building quickly, and I was shocked to see that it was being constructed from scratch.

This might just be the first building in Austin Texas built entirely with either magic or powers, and it was quite a sight to see. The thing stood three stories tall, shorter than the other guild, but this one was far wider. I’d imagine it could have three times as many square feet within. The building was constructed with large wood beams on a stone brick foundation, and it was well on it’s way. Four people who could only be dwarves were using some type of stone shaping to crank out brick after brick, each one engraved with a small magic circle on the top and bottom. The first floor was already complete, and considering the visible pace of the work, the first floor would be ready for people to move in only a few days from now.

Steph stood out front, directing the workers to their destinations and checking over the foundation. She appeared so young but worked with speed and authority that could only come from experience, and I once again felt the strange disconnect that her actions caused.

I approached with Taylor. It had been weeks since I had run into Stephanie, and I wanted to talk to her about the capital and how she was doing.

“Hey, Steph!”

She turned to look at me, and at first, her face was full of confusion. Quick as lighting, it changed into shock, followed by a simmering rage.

I was surprised and confused, and when she started marching towards me with an angry expression, a bit intimidated. I felt the hairs on my arms and tail stand one end, and for the first time since the chasm on the third floor, all I wanted to do was run away.

When she finally got to me, I watched her expression calm down, settling on confusion once more, before it became neutral again.

I was still a bit freaked out, and as she stepped even closer, I took a few paces back. Taylor was looking at me wondering what happened, and I just turned to her and shrugged.

“Vic, just… forget about that. I sensed something… strange from you, and I thought you were someone else. I’m sorry for scaring you. Here, follow me. My office is ready inside, and there we can talk in privacy.”

I followed her into the building, turning to get Taylor to follow, but as I did, I found her walking away, sitting down to get hard to work meditating, preparing to grow some more magic trees. I followed Steph into the building. She walked down a hallway, naturally lit with a bank of windows, and entered into a door on the left side far in the back of the plot.

Her office was spacious, and already fully furnished. It had a sitting area for guests, a work desk, several filing cabinets, electricity, and a wall of bookshelves just waiting to be filled. My feet were still bare, I wiggled my toes, feeling the nice carpet between them.

“So, I know you told me to forget it, but I really can’t. What the fuck was that? That was terrifying! I thought you were going to kill me, then and there. I know we don’t really know each other, but I think we’re close enough that I deserve an explanation.”

“You probably felt fear because of my intimidation skill. It’s already at advanced, so I’m sure it was rather unpleasant. The reason for my anger was… ancient history. I don’t want to burden you with my dirty past.”

I didn’t want to piss her off, but I wanted to understand the animosity. Against my better judgement, I decided to try and probe her.

“Is it about Luna?”

Vic! Don’t!

I watched as Steph’s eyes narrowed threateningly. I put on a bit of an accusatory tone before speaking again.

“So. It is about Luna. When your name was brought up in the past, she freaked out. It was the first time I’d ever heard her at a loss for words.”

“That monster at a loss for words? Now that’s a joke. I can’t believe you invited the harbinger of the apocalypse into your brain Vic. I thought you were smarter than that.”

“Did Cindy tell you?”

“No. I sensed it when you walked up, that there was someone else rattling around up there. I feared you had been possessed, but after a few seconds, I felt that familiar energy. I was going to kill you right there, but I realized at the last second you were still in control.”

“Still in control? I think you have the wrong idea about Luna, Steph.”

“Oh? The wrong idea?”

Steph held up her hands, and I watched with incredulity as two lances of vibrant energy sprung into existence over her shoulders. Each one hummed with power, and slowly crept towards me. I backed up until I was touching the wall, and the spears stopped by my neck pinning me in place.

“Luna, I’m going to say this once. Leave Vic now and I’ll only kill you. Do it, or I will kill you both, right here.”

Luna! Don’t listen to her! She’s gone crazy. You need to survive. Don’t die for me!

Vic, it’s a bluff. I can sense motives, and she wouldn’t kill you for all the money in the world. I know this might be invasive, but can you let me borrow your mouth? I want to talk to her myself. It’s about time I cleared the air.

Go ahead. Do what you need to do.

Thanks, Vic.

Luna taking control didn’t feel unpleasant in the least. It was easy, my mouth simply moved without me having to will it to, and the voice coming from within was not my own.

Steph, its Luna. Vic let me borrow her mouth. Can we… talk? Like normal people?

Steph paused, the spears ceasing their creeping motion. After an excruciating few seconds, she snapped her fingers and the deadly weapons vanished. I walked forward, and sat down in one of her chairs, watching with bated breath and Steph joined me, sitting right across the coffee table. She poured herself some whiskey out of a decanter and sighed.

“Alright. Fine. I’ll hear you out. You deserve at least that for saving my life. “

 

If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the discord HERE please. I'm working on getting an editor through Patreon funds, but for now, I'm focusing on editing my stuff more.

Thanks for Reading! If you like my story, leave a rating, review, or favorite!

 

Writing a story while not being a full-time writer is hard! I’m doing what I can to keep things going, but it all depends on whether or not I can make Ideascape at the very least a part-time job. To help finance this, I've decided to set up a Patreon. The Patreon tiers are below. If you want me to continue to write as I go into grad school or the workforce, that's how I'll be able to do it. Euros and Pounds are automatically transferred into USD through Patreon, so you don’t need to worry about currency exchange if that was a concern (I've had people ask before).

 

1$ - Spoilers! For people who just really need to know what happens next. Cliffhanger? Forget it! Now you know!

5$ - Supporters! All advance chapters are unlocked.

10$ - Fan! You must really like Ideascape, and honestly, I'm pretty jazzed about it. Subscribing to this tier means that you can create a character, and I will straight up add them into the story as a background character. If they're really cool and unique, they might become significant in the future. You never know! This is going to be limited based on user response. 

20$ - Superfan! Damn. All benefits from previous tiers. You can choose two characters and have me create a custom side story about them. I'll write anything. 1500 words, unless it’s fun to write, then more probably. Literally anything. Just ask.

37