First Impression
2.4k 1 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bai Yu Yan’s good mood continued to the next day. Early in the morning, she had gone to the Plum Garden to visit her mother-in-law. Her purpose was to ask for Old Madame’s permission to personally run the clothing shop of her dowry which practically did not generate a single tael of income. 

At first, Old Madame Lu was reluctant knowing that the shop was running in loss. Moreover, the Prime Minister’s residence did not lack money in the house treasury. As the main wife of the Prime Minister, she had a generous allowance allocated to Bai Yu Yan. It was absolutely not necessary for her to go out and earn money. And if those wild gossipers got a hold of this news, they might even accuse the Lu manor of slaving their daughter-in-law for not having a strong background. However, after hearing from Bai Yu Yan that she would be free all day long and wanted to engage herself in something productive, Madame Lu was at a loss for words. If it was any other woman, they would prefer to gossip, eat, groom, and plot on how to attract their husband’s attention, but this daughter-in-law of her house wanted to sell clothes? 

Seeing how enthusiastic the little woman was to earn money, Old Madame Lu sighed inwardly. Her son, Lu Tong Xiao was a figure of great reverence and admiration to the commoners. The nobles would look for every opportunity to establish their relationship with the Lu. Thus, when Bai Yu Yan took the position that people looked up to, there was huge dissatisfaction in the mass. Although they couldn’t show it openly for the fear of the Lu family, their mock to Bai Yu Yan was clear as day. 

Now it seems Yu Yan really took those gossips to her heart and wanted to do something to prove her worth. 

This was the reason why Old Madame Lu sent Lin Momo to personally deliver the fabric. She wanted to remind everyone of the position of Bai Yu Yan in the Lu manor. 

Bai Yu Yan watched as her mother-in-law’s face displayed various expressions and couldn’t figure out what was happening inside her brain. If she knew what Old Madame Lu was actually thinking, she would definitely spray the tea in her mouth. 

Prove her worth as the male lead’s wife? Do I look so free?

Unable to refuse her request, Old Madame waved her hands at Bai Yu Yan to do whatever she wanted. But it was under the condition that she cannot use the money from Lu treasury. After all, looking at the account book of the shop, it didn’t appear very hopeful. Hence, Old Madame thought that she might as well let her experience the harsh world outside so that she can come home defeated and appreciate the comfort provided here. 

She would just think of it as Bai Yu Yan was going out to play. 

After breakfast, Bai Yu Yan along with Xiao Fan went out to take a look at the shop. Even if it was nothing but an empty farce set up by her step-mother for her dowry, it was still in the heart of the capital. Madame Bai’s heart must have bled for having to part with a shop in such a good location. For now, the bustling commercial street of Zhongyuan was the only silver lining for her store.

When the carriage reached their destination, Bai Yu Yan found the capital was as vibrant as she remembered. The chaotic blend of color, aroma, and noise did not put off the crowd, instead, it gave the market a unique taste. The local stallholders screamed the offers to attract the crowd while the customers desperately bargained for the lower price. 

Bai Yu Yan stretched her arms after coming down the carriage. The hustle and bustle made her feel alive. She loved the buzzing crowd as much as she loved the peace and quiet. 

She looked at Xiao Fan who was also enjoying the energetic market, “Xiao Fan, after staying in Lu manor, you haven’t forgotten where our shop is?” As the owner, she herself didn’t know the location of her own store. If others knew about it, they would definitely laugh at her.

“Miss is joking, ah. How can Xiao Fan forget where it is?  Didn’t we sneak in here after knowing Madame Bai was giving it to Miss in dowry?”, Xiao Fan recounted cheerfully. 

In order to prove what she said, Xiao Fan pushed her way through the throng with Bai Yu Yan on the tow. Soon they were standing in front of an average-looking shop. In the middle of Zhongyuan street where every shop gathered a horde of customers, the one in front of them, with only a handful of customers, was already collecting dust. 

“Does Miss still doubt Xiao Fan?”, she looked at her Miss with a proud face. 

“I was only teasing you, ah. You took it seriously”, Yu Yan teased her in the hope of lifting her own spirit after seeing the shop. 

Even if she had come prepared, seeing the real thing was a whole different story. The word depressed couldn’t quite sum up her mood. And she was just looking at the shop from the outside. She did not immediately go inside but stood right outside the store. Through the glass window which was not cleaned for days, she could see two people. And their angry voice told her a heated argument was going on inside. 

“Y_You! How can you say this? I had already ordered this fabric two weeks ago and now you are telling me that you cannot sell this to me?” A woman pointed her finger at a man and shouted in anger. 

“This madam, I’ve already told you, I cannot give this to you. Don’t you understand simple language? You either choose something else or go to another shop, don’t make a scene here” The man waved his hand impatiently as if shooing her away.

From their conversation, Bai Yu Yan deduced the man to be the store manager. 

“I see. So, this is how you treat your customers, huh. No wonder even in the Zhongyuan street you don’t have a single customer. With management like this, see if this shop can still survive until another month.” The woman seething with anger flung her sleeve and strode out in a huff. 

As soon as the woman made her exit, a group of girls came out from an adjacent room inside the shop.

30