Sharing Chopstick
2.2k 4 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author’s note: I researched a little about the names of ancient Chinese costumes. But the complicated Chinese terms were difficult to remember and also use. So I’ll be continuing to use ‘dress’ until I find any other appropriate substitute word. Also, the designs came from my mind so I couldn’t find any similar images on google. If I do find one, will remember to attach it. 

The banquet was held in the open verdant garden. Long rolls of carpets were laid out on the floor of lush green grass with thick velvet cushions placed on top of it. A small table was set for every seat and a paper lantern hung above each. The fallen frangipani scattered by the occasional gentle breeze. Two long tents went over the two rows of seats and connected over the raised seat of the emperor, making a U shape.

Lu Tong Xiao and Bai Yu Yan’s seat was the closest to the imperial family. It was a level below the crown prince and on the same level as the other princes.

If not for the fact that Lu Tong Xiao was seated right beside her and was covering most of her with his body, Bai Yu Yan was sure to be stared at until she nearly got holes all over her body. She was here for only three things - food, drink, and dress. So while she patiently waited for food and drinks, everyone had been eyeing her like she was an antique piece, likewise, she had also been sneakily observing everyone’s clothes.

It was obvious that the most stylish ones were of the royal family. In fact, the most capable seamstresses of the country were collectively employed by the imperial palace. Also, for these rare palace events, even the young girls of the maiden family of the emperor’s consorts had the opportunity to make their dress from the royal tailors. And no one would let go of such a chance.  

So, everyone dressed in their best and sat on their seats with poise.

“His Majesty has arrived, all rise!”

The voice of an eunuch dispersed in the huge garden. With it, everyone respectfully rose from their seats.

A man in his late forties entered in a yellow robe, a golden crown sitting on top of his head. Years of experience and wisdom could be seen in his inscrutable calm eyes. He had a gentle smile on his handsome face but the imposing aura emanating from him couldn’t be ignored.

Four beautiful ladies came along with him. A middle-aged woman in a bright red robe led the other three while she walked alongside the emperor. She was none other than the empress, followed by the three consorts.

Everyone’s eyes stopped at the sight of one of the consorts, a small gasp leaving their mouth. She was adorned in a pale white dress. On the neck was heavy needlework of dark silver bead embroidery. A similar pattern was around the waistline which was translucent to her skin. Long chiffon flowed in the skirt making graceful curves. A long dragging orange outer with wide sleeves swept the floor as she walked forward in an elegant manner.

Bai Yu Yan immediately recognized the dress she had made. She had not seen Consort Shu in person but made the dress entirely on the basis of her measurements. So seeing the dress fit her perfectly, she sighed in relief, after all this was her promotional piece. And the other nobles’ positive reaction proved her successful start.

Old Madame Lu gave an appreciative nod to Bai Yu Yan. She also wore the dress made by her daughter-in-law and became the object of talk among other madames. Sitting beside his wife, Master Lu was also smiling from ear to ear as he couldn't take his eyes off of her.

When the emperor and the group passed by everyone to get to their seats, Bai Yu Yan felt someone’s eyes sharply fall on her. She raised her head but didn’t see anybody’s gaze directed at her.

After reaching his seat, the emperor turned towards everyone. His formidable figure stood on the top and hovered above them like a dragon.

“Zhen thanks everyone for attending this spring banquet.” He took the wine cup on the table and raised it in front of all. His gentle eyes swept over the entire crowd like he was addressing each of them, “For the peace and prosperity of the nation”. When he took a gulp, everyone followed after him. This indicated the start of the banquet.

The beat of drums and the melody of other musical instruments filled the garden. A group of dancers twirled in their experienced moves, further livening up the atmosphere.

The palace maids entered the door in a neat line, each one holding various dishes and wine jugs. Exquisite delicacies of foods and wines started flowing after that.

The emperor looked at his officials with a smile. He was aware of their role for the citizens’ wellbeing and was satisfied with it, “This banquet is set for everyone to relax after the hard work of the entire year. So don’t stand on formality and enjoy yourselves.”

“Father emperor is wise!”, saying this, the third prince immediately grabbed the shiny piece of chicken and tore it with his teeth.

Everyone laughed at this scene. The atmosphere gradually loosened up as they ate and drank.

Bai Yu Yan’s mouth watered looking at the third prince’s unrestrained behavior. Imitating him, she also tried to catch the big piece of a chicken leg but it slipped through the chopsticks, making her unable to hold it. After repeated unsuccessful tries, she resentfully poked at it. Lu Tong Xiao looked at her fiddling with a piece of meat, the piece bigger than what her chopstick could hold. His eyes curved with amusement. Taking his own chopstick, he gently pushed away from her hands from the plate and tore the meat into two medium-sized pieces.

A sound of fierce coughing came from a corner. Bai Yu Yan saw Chun Hua’s red eyes directed at them as Madame Bai patted her back and helped her with water. A light went off in her head. Hiding a sneaky laugh, while Lu Tong Xiao was focusing on his food, Bai Yu Yan gave him a loving look and put the meat in her mouth. She then turned to look at Chun Hua gritting her teeth until it nearly shattered and smiled in satisfaction.

While focusing on Chun Hua’s reaction, Bai Yu Yan had forgotten that Lu Tong Xiao didn’t use a new chopstick to tear the meat but his used one. But the man who was quietly eating his food definitely noticed it. Seeing her eat it without a complaint, the corner of his lips slowly lifted up.

Everyone who had witnessed this scene of Lu Tong Xiao and Bai Yu Yan was finally convinced that he really favored his wife. No one would dare to slight her from now on as it would mean offending His Excellency himself.

42