Reward
2.1k 4 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's Note: Today is one month of the day I first posted this story. Thank you for loving this. Let's celebrate this day with an extra chapter update. 

The wrinkle by the side of the emperor’s eyes deepened with a smile when he saw the couple’s interaction. Initially, he felt guilty for Lu Tong Xiao to have been wedded to the Bai eldest daughter due to his muhou’s arrangement. Because of it, he had gone to the Empress Dowager to ask for her reason in doing so. But no matter how much he asked, she wouldn’t disclose her reason. The only thing she said was ‘This marriage is not unmatched.’ Although he didn’t understand what it meant, he knew that his muhou was not a reckless person. So he couldn't refute her.

On the other hand, Tong Xiao was much valuable to him and this nation. The young man was an unrivaled talent. Any imperial princess would willingly marry him but in the end, he had to marry a 7th ranked official’s daughter who did not have a good reputation. So he sent Tong Xiao to Jin country in the south in order to distract him from his marriage. Unable to refuse the order of the Empress Dowager, he couldn’t stop the marriage and for that, he was desperately looking for ways to compensate him.

However, looking at the two right now, neither did Bai Yu Yan seem like how the rumors had described her to be nor did Lu Tong Xiao seem unhappy with the marriage. In contrast, the newly wedded couple were scattering dog food even while eating.

“Prime Minister Lu, it seems zhen has not congratulated you for your wedding.”, after witnessing the couple, the emperor finally had the heart to openly bless Tong Xiao. He motioned to a nearby servant to fill his cup. “Let zhen congratulate you and the eldest Bai daughter for your auspicious marriage.”, saying that he raised his cup at the couple and drank it.

Lu Tong Xiao and Bai Yu Yan stood from their seat to bow at him and drank from their wine cup.

“Even though it’s late, for your marriage, zhen will gift you two 5000 gold teals, 10,000 silver teals, 2000 silk fabrics, 1000 eastern sea pearls, and varieties of jade and precious stones.”

The moment the emperor finished listing the items, Bai Yu Yan inaudibly gulped. For the first time ever since coming to this world, she actually felt happy for being Lu Tong Xiao’s wife. It was no less than winning a lottery, ah. Lu Tong Xiao, who didn’t have any reaction, looked at his wife’s sparkling eyes and seriously reflected if he was not providing enough for his wife’s spending.

“This subject thanks Your Majesty!”, the two said in unison.

Following the emperor, the officials who had been stunned by His Majesty’s generosity competed to congratulate the couple. If they had not seen Bai Yu Yan with their own eyes, they wouldn’t hesitate to think that His Majesty was compensating Lu Tong Xiao for marrying someone below his level but now, no one would believe it.

“This official heard that Madame Lu was the one who made Consort Shu’s dress.”, one of the officials excitedly shared the news he recently heard.

“What are you saying? The dress Consort Shu is wearing was made by Madame Lu?”

“Didn’t you see how beautiful Consort Shu looked in that dress? Even His Majesty couldn’t hide the admiration in his eyes.”

The crowd of the banquet was stunned by this. Bai Yu Yan was giving them one after another shock. Firstly, her appearance, then His Excellency’s favor, and now even her newly discovered talent. It was like she was a completely different person from their expectation.

Consort Shu had also heard about it. She had been looking for the right time to thank Bai Yu Yan in person. Smiling softly, she said, “Bai Yu Yan, your talent for design is truly gifted. Thank you for making this dress. Tell me, how should I reward you?”

“Consort Shu, Yu Yan dare not accept any reward. Consort Shu likes it, it is an honor for me.”, Why ask, ah? Just give gold taels.

The unexpected shower of praise from everyone overwhelmed her. She was used to working behind the scenes. Being an introvert, she shied away from such attention. Even the awards and prizes she received as a recognition of her work were delivered directly to her home since she never attended such functions where she had to be the center of attention.

“You made mother’s dress?” From the moment it was revealed, the young princess sitting across from them had been looking at Yu Yan in awe. It appeared she couldn’t wait to rush towards her.

“Bai Yu Yan, come here. Let bengong see you from up close.”, at this time, the empress beckoned Bai Yu Yan with a kind smile. She was a sophisticated woman with a mature charm. If Bai Yu Yan remembered correctly, as the mother of the female lead, she had strongly supported the female lead and Tong Xiao’s relationship even though the emperor was hesitant about it.

Bai Yu Yan got up from her seat with the help of a palace maid and walked towards the empress in small steps. Gently lifting her skirt, she kneeled beside the empress who was donned in a bright red robe. In the imperial palace, red was exclusively reserved for the empress as it signified the phoenix. Additionally, the strong color’s purpose was that no other women from the harem could overshadow the empress in dress up.

“Although Muhou is already old, she still has good eyes for people, isn’t it Your Majesty?”, the empress looked at the emperor with a smile. Seeing him nod his head in affirmation, she turned to Yu Yan and gently placed her hand above her folded ones. “These beautiful hands of yours have such capability, they should be treasured.”

Like a gesture from a kind elder, she pulled out a dark green jade bracelet from her own hands. 

33