Blame Yourself
1.7k 6 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During the dinner, Bai Yu Yan noticed that Old Madame Bai, who was sitting on the head seat, her eyes kept wandering to her and Lu Tong Xiao from time to time. She could see that the old woman was not unaware of Bai Chun Hua’s antics, neither was Madame Bai. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have discreetly glanced under the table when Bai Chun Hua said a fishbone was stuck in her throat. Her throat was not on the ground and there was not a sign of fish on her plate but they didn’t say a word about it.

“Your Excellency!” Master Bai wanted to invite Lu Tong Xiao to have wine in his study after dinner. He opened his mouth only to close it again when he realized that he couldn’t afford to be casual with him even though he was his father-in-law. In fact, apart from the emperor, not even the members of the royal family could order Lu Tong Xiao. But he didn’t want to lose this chance of having a private chat with Lu Tong Xiao who not only was his son-in-law but also the great Prime Minister of this country. If this man pulled some strings, his political career would soar up high. From what he had seen, Lu Tong Xiao seemed to not dislike his useless daughter. So...if she wanted she could help him.

Thinking about it he cleared his throat and sharply raised his eyebrows at Bai Yu Yan, hinting her to convince Lu Tong Xiao to have some private chat with him.

With her head lowered, Bai Yu Yan busied herself by dabbing her lips with the wet towel after she finished dinner. Not that she had not seen Master Bai give her that commanding look but she chose to ignore it. Lu Tong Xiao was a man of his own brain and she had no reason to tell him what to do. The man had already done much for her sake by agreeing to come here even though he didn’t have to, considering his status.

This little bitch! Master Bai frustratedly glared at Bai Yu Yan who wasn’t helping him at all. This ungrateful thing, he thought in anger.

When he realized that Lu Tong Xiao was giving him a cold look, he hurriedly withdrew his gaze from Bai Yu Yan and acting like it was nothing, “I’ll go see if the servants have prepared the guest room. Your Excellency can retire for the night if you are tired.”

On the side, Madame Bai was praying that Bai Yu Yan wouldn’t do her husband’s bidding. And when she didn’t, she secretly smiled in satisfaction.

“Husband, I’ll also go together with you to see if they have arranged everything properly. It’s the first time our daughter and son-in-law have come home after her marriage. As a mother, I have to make sure that they have a comfortable stay,” Madame Bai said with a smile and stood up to follow her husband. “Wait for me,” she walked quickly to catch up with Master Bai who was striding with a dark face.

“I can rely on that ungrateful bastard anymore. It’s already been months since she married to the Lu and look at us, we still haven’t made any connection with them,” he huffed in anger.

Madame Bai gently rubbed his back to ease his anger, “That child, she is still adapting to the Lu family. It must be hard for her. Don’t blame her.”

“You are too kind to see that brat’s attitude. After marrying, she has grown wings and thinks of herself as a phoenix now. She doesn’t have us in her eyes anymore.”

Stepping closer to him, Madame Bai rubbed her bosom on his arm that she was holding and her soft hands ran across the lower abdomen of Master Bai, saying, “You should not be so angry. You know it’s not good for your health.”

The skillful hands of his wife momentarily distracted him but he didn’t try to stop her actions. Instead, he let her touch him as she pleased and asked, “What you were telling me earlier, is it true?”

Madame Bai hid the smile in her eyes before her eyes scanned the surroundings to ensure that no one was present and said, “Why would I lie to you? I saw it myself that His excellency was attracted to Chun Hua since she entered the room. His eyes didn’t leave her. You know how beautiful our daughter has grown to be. Also, she told me that he was checking her out when she was serving him tea.”

Her words slightly eased his mood as he pulled her close to his body. He was not unaware of how a woman’s beauty can be their weapon. He had seen it for himself how charming his second daughter was who was also desired by the men in the capital. Added to her coquettish nature and sweet tongue, no man could resist her. Weighing it in his mind, he slowly nodded his head, “Do it.”

“But Husband, doing this won’t Yan’er be upset? She is the official wife of His Excellency after all,” Madame Bai added with a worried expression. Inside, she was gloating at what was about to happen.

Hearing it Master Bai snorted with disdain, “Upset? She should know her place and be content with being the official wife of the Prime Minister.” His eyes flashed with decisiveness. Although he was afraid of what would happen if their plan backfired, he was blinded by the benefits it could bring him. Also, if only Bai Yu Yan had been useful to him, he wouldn’t have agreed to take this step. So if she wanted to blame someone, it can only be herself, thought Master Bai as he walked back to return to the dining hall.

Inside the dining hall, Bai Chun Hua was restless. Her eyes periodically darted towards the door from where her mother had left along with her father. She bit her lips and wrung the handkerchief with anxiousness. Finally, when she saw her parents come back where her mother smiled at her with a nod, she finally put her heart in calm and smiled in happiness.

“Your Excellency, the servants have prepared the room for your rest. Everything has been arranged for you to comfortably retire for the night,” said Master Bai with a newfound enthusiasm. Unlike how he had gone out with a forced smile, his face was visibly relaxed at that moment.

Lu Tong Xiao wanted nothing more than to leave where he could spend some time alone with Bai Yu Yan. He held Bai Yu Yan’s hands and stood up to leave when they were suddenly stopped by Old Madame Bai.

“Bai Yu Yan, why don’t you accompany this old woman for a cup of tea. You have come home after so long, it would make me happy if I could have a little chat with my granddaughter,” Old Madame Bai looked towards Bai Yu Yan and gave her a warm smile. 

24