Are you sure?
1.7k 3 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was already late night and there was not a hint of servants outside the room. Bai Yu Yan went to the window to see if she could jump out from there. If she could, she wouldn't mind doing it. Unfortunately, a couple of vertical metal bars were fitted in the window and there was no way she could go out from there. In addition to it, not a single soul was seen outside. It was stupid of her to even expect that someone would be outside waiting to open the door for her, she thought to herself. She could see Old Madame Bai dismissing the servants was not a coincidence, it was all planned out. So even if she was to shout for someone to help her open the door, she was sure that her voice would go unheard.

Bai Yu Yan knew that she was stuck here. She didn’t know what she was feeling but there was a screaming urgency. It was like a sense of crisis was looming inside her heart, slowly gnawing it.

“Old Madame Bai!” Bai Yu Yan dropped any kind of relationship tag and the honorific attached to it. She looked at the old woman with calm eyes, “Are you sure you don’t want to open the door?” Not a hint of fear or anxiousness could be heard in her voice like she was asking about the weather.

Old Madame Bai was shocked at how she was being addressed. One of the reasons why she wasn’t afraid of doing what she was doing was because she thought Bai Yu Yan would never disregard filial piety as she had never done so in the past no matter how she was treated.

The room of Old Madame Bai was lavishly decorated with all kinds of decorative items as if they were afraid the others couldn’t see what little wealth they had. In fact, the status and wealth of the Bai family had slowly risen after the birth of the original Bai Yu Yan. Things suddenly started to go too well for them after that. Since they were nouveau riche, they regarded money above everything else.

Bai Yu Yan strode towards the table beside the window on the other side. On the table was a vase painted and dusted in gold. She picked it up as if she was taking a look at it but suddenly it slipped from her hand, making a loud noise of it breaking as it touched the ground.

The crisp sound startled Old Madame and her eyes flew wide as she looked at the broken debris scattered on the ground. Her head whipped at Bai Yu Yan, ready to snarl at her for the loss she had caused, but the moment she saw her face, a strange chill gripped her heart. Instead of seeing the usual apologetic expression, she saw a calmness that she hadn’t expected.

“Bai Yu Yan, have you gone crazy? What are you doing? Do you know how much it costs?” she gritted her teeth and glared at Bai Yu Yan. The vase was not an ordinary vase for decoration, it was worth fifty thousand gold coins. Her heart bled at the sight of it being destroyed like some useless glass.

“Did Old Madame forget that I am the daughter-in-law of the Lu family? Why would I care about how much it costs?” Bai Yu Yan smiled as she said so. She had done her best to respect these people as the family of the previous owner of her body. She thought it was something she owed to the previous Bai Yu Yan. But it seemed they had no use for it so she was not going to entertain them with her respect anymore. Her supply of patience was not unlimited.

At the bedside table, there was a multicolored crystal night light. Bai Yu Yan tilted her head and looked at the expensive-looking night light. She then walked towards it and picked it up in her hand like she was studying it and right under Old Madame’s wide horrified eyes, she slammed it on the ground, letting the crystal pieces scatter like broken beads.

Old Madame Bai's mouth hung open as she pointed at Bai Yu Yan with her shaky finger, unable to utter any words. It was not a mistake! Bai Yu Yan was doing it purposely!

While Old Madame Bai sat there stupefied with her mouth wide open, Bai Yu Yan threw, smashed, dropped, and broke one thing after another without batting an eye. Everything that her hands touched now layed on the ground in dust and pieces.

“I’ll ask it one last time. Are you sure you don’t want to open the door?” Bai Yu Yan’s unhurried voice rang in the room as she leaned on the table with her hands propped on both sides.

When Old Madame Bai came to her senses and took in the sight before her, her breath was stuck in her throat. Only then did she realize that the calmness Bai Yu Yan was exuding earlier was the calm before the storm which she hadn’t seen coming. And if she didn’t do anything about it, this seemingly harmless girl would not stop at this. Almost every fragile but expensive thing was broken, smashed, and laid in a scattered mess on the ground. What if it’s her head next?

The thought of it left her in panic as the fear swept her heart. “Servantsss...Open the door. Open it noww.” Old Madame Bai’s shrill voice rang in the quiet night in a terrifying manner as if she had seen a grim reaper itself, ready to take her life with a scythe.

Hurried footsteps were heard in the corridor outside the room. Old Madame Bai cursed at how long the servants were taking to arrive and open the door, completely forgetting it was herself who had told them to delay and only to come if they heard her voice calling them. She didn’t want to be left alone with Bai Yu Yan, who seemed like a monster, for another minute.

Soon the door was opened from the outside. The servant at the door let out a startled cry seeing the disastrous mess in the room as if a tornado had swept through it. Before the door could be opened all the way through, a figure suddenly pushed it from the inside and dashed out of the room.

Bai Yu Yan strode through the open corridor as a swarm of thoughts flooded her mind from every direction. She didn’t want to think about what might have happened on the other side with Lu Tong Xiao. She had never thought of herself to be a violent person as she didn’t lose her cool easily. What she did earlier in Old Madame Bai’s room, she was surprised at herself. The fear, the anxiousness, and the uneasiness, she couldn’t deny anymore. She couldn’t lie to herself anymore. It matters to her and it affects her. Otherwise, she wouldn’t be running like this with urgency and fear gripping her heart like she was at the edge of losing something important.   

22