Results… And Answers (Vol. 1 End)
2k 11 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This was going to be it. The moment of truth to see if his hard work would not be for nothing. Hopefully his studies with the girls were going to come to fruition.

At the moment, Kouji was sitting in their study room. School was over, but the rest of the girls had yet to come in. Why haven’t they shown up yet, he wondered. His right leg was shaking up and down impatiently.

Every second on the clock felt like a year for him. Too many thoughts were running through his mind, perhaps they all really failed. Maybe that was why they hadn’t come in yet.

“Kouji Arisawa.” The intercom blared out his name. Prompting the boy to fall out of his seat from the fright it gave him. “You are needed in the headmistress’s office, immediately.”

It couldn’t be. Was she about to deliver the bad news to him there? Dejected, Kouji got back up to his feet. It took him a while, but soon enough, he was now standing right outside her door. He only took one deep breath, then opened it.

Inside, the other girls were waiting for him. All standing there, in a line directing him to the person he was to meet with. The look on all their faces had the same level of uncertainty as him. Unaware of their own final scores, as well as his fate.

“Kouji, could you kindly close and lock the door behind you?” She instructed him, which he complied with no complaint. “I’m certain you know why you’re here right now?”

“I am.” He bowed, this pressure was making him much more formal than usual. “And the results are?”

“Ah yes, your results.” She paused for much longer than he would’ve liked. Not only because the anticipation made it feel longer, but also because she actually took a long time to say it. “Congratulations.”

“I see, well I’m sorry… Wait what?” He was fully prepared to get bad news. Yet she was congratulating him? That meant that…

“You all passed.” She smiled. “Barely, but you passed.” Everyone getting scores in the sixties was not the best result for most. But for someone that had stakes in those scores, they were good enough for Kouji.

“Oh thank goodness.” He breathed a sigh of relief. The girls did as well, silently.

“Indeed, I’m glad that you were all successful.” She said. “After all, as the headmistress, I’m invested in every single one of my students.”

“Is that really true?” He asked.

“Yes, it does seem a bit odd considering this boy is here.” Himawari followed up. “You clearly favor him over everyone else.”

“Is that how everyone feels?” Isako responded. “After all, he’s also the only one with a stipulation for his enrollment.” That may have been the case, but it also allowed him an opportunity that no one else had access to.

“Speaking of.” He cut in. “I did as you asked, and got these girls to pass.”

“Of course, I’ll hold up my end of the bargain.” She began. “Does the-”

“Wait.” He interrupted, then pointed over to the girls still standing there. “Shouldn't we wait until they leave first?”

“Hey, why shouldn’t we hear about this?” Teru said with anger in her tone.

“Yeah, you know we had to put in the work too, shouldn’t we get rewarded for it?” Waa followed up.” Kouji facepalmed over their defiance. At the same time, he didn’t disagree with that assessment. So that was how it was going to be, all of them were going to learn of the truth.

“As I was saying, before I was interrupted.” Isako began once again. “I should probably start with asking you this question. Does the name, Yokakura Kuzuhana, mean anything to you?” She already knew the answer, but it was necessary for her to reveal the depth of her knowledge to him.

“How do you…” He was speechless at hearing that.

“Kouji, who is she talking about?” Anastasia asked him, concerned over his sudden change in mood.

“Yokakura Kuzuhana… He’s the name of my uncle.” He answered. “Which is who I think she’s talking about.” His legs felt like jelly. Just how much did this woman know about him?

“That would be correct.” She said, a small smile on her lips. “Kouji Kuzuhana.” Hearing his name, his real name, left him stunned. The girls were unsure what this revelation was all about. As well as why he was going by a different name.

“Kuzuhana?” Yuma wondered aloud. “But I though he was your uncle?” She asked him.

“He is… He’s my dad’s brother.”

“Yes, and for some unknown reason. You decided to change your last name to your mother’s maiden name.” Isako clarified.

“Okay fine, I’m not who I said I was.” He spoke up, not wanting to be dominated. “But what does that have to do with me attending here?” His body tensed up, fearing what she might say next.

“Your mother was a wonderful woman, and a very dear friend.” She continued on. “It pained me greatly when both her and your father passed away.”

“What?” Teru spoke up. “Your parents are dead?”

“That is the truth.” Himawari answered for him.

“How did you-”

“I figured it out, but he made me swear not to tell any of you.” Not that it mattered now, the truth about his family was out now.

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Anastasia asked.

“I don’t want any of your pity.” He turned from them, and crossed his arms, instead focusing his anger at Isako. Why did she feel it was important to tell them?

“How did you know his mother?” Yuma asked the headmistress.

That prompted the woman to reminisce on a time long ago for her. The truth was, that Kouji’s mother came from a very wealthy family herself. Even went to the academy as well, in the same class as Isako.

But that all changed when she met his dad. He was the opposite of her in social status. Barely getting by in both his part-time job and schooling. Little by little, the two fell in love with each other.

Which was a problem with her family, but she didn’t care. Instead, she abandoned her family wealth and name. The two of them struggled on their own for a bit, but that love never never once withered. Soon enough, she gave birth to Kouji. Unfortunately their lives came to a tragic end when he was nine.

“After that, your uncle took you away to another town, correct?” She asked, to which he nodded to answer. “I think what he did was terrible, you’re a bright child and you shouldn’t have been put in a strange place after what happened.”

“You’re also familiar with my uncle?”
“My past with that man is for a different time.” She replied. “But you’re probably wondering how I was able to bring you to this school.”

During his time away, she developed herself up in her career. Eventually becoming this school’s headmistress in the last couple of years. However, she never forgot the friends she lost.

When she heard of a boy moving in to a building very close to the school. She thought it was odd, given the locale, and investigated. That name on the nameplate brought back a lot of memories, but surely she didn’t think it was the same little Kouji she once knew. Especially not bearing his mother’s maiden name. She checked at his public school, and sure enough, she found out the truth.

It took a while, and a lot of effort to convince the board, but she was able to find a way to enroll him in the school. Lucky for her, there were a number of troublesome girls failing in school. That gave her the plan she needed.

It was risky, rife with potential scandal should it fail. Isako decided to bank that he might be able to become a tutor for these girls to maintain his enrollment. And thus, that was when she made her move and finally talked to him for the first time in years.

“So that’s really it, huh?” He sighed. This was what he was worried about hearing. To get her charity because of his family.

“I understand your reluctance to get help.” She continued on. “I’m certain that you’re thinking it’s unfair of you to be here because of your lineage.”

“You’re right I am.” He told her sternly. This was pretty bad news for him to hear. “That’s why you said I might consider leaving the school when I found out, didn’t you?”

“You want to leave the school?” Anastasia asked, the worry leaked through in her tone.

“You’re right I do!”

“And that’s fine.” Isako spoke as if there was no concern in her body. “If you desire, once this Summer break is over. I’ll get you enrolled back into your old school. You’ll be free to take a fresh start from there on.”

“Thank you.” He said, bowing.

“But…” She had one final thing to say him. “I’d advise you to consider staying, which is why I won’t ask for your answer until the end of the break.”

“Right.” He paused, mulling over what he had just learned from her. “But I don’t think anything is going to change my mind.”

End of Volume one. I might take a break to focus on other stories for a while (Posted on other sites at the moment). So this is to let those that have stayed with me know. I'm grateful for everyone sticking with this story so far, and hope you can stay patient while I figure things out.

50