The Longest Trip of my Life
1.1k 15 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Some time before the reunion at the train station…

Kouji was left alone after Teru ran away from him. He was too much in shock from her kissing him. There was never a moment in his life, where he thought that was how she really felt. Knowing that now, he felt like a real jerk. To think of how bad his words must’ve sounded to her.

Once he regained some semblance of composure, the boy headed back to his uncle’s place. There was a good idea on where the girl ran off to, and he was certain she wasn’t going to just leave without the headmistress. So that meant there was going to be some time for him to get help. From the last person he ever thought could ever help about this situation.

“Hey, you guys are finally…” His uncle was about to greet them as soon as they returned. However, he soon realized that it wasn’t ‘them’, but rather just him. “Where’s your friend, uh, Teru?”

“We…” Kouji wasn’t certain on how to properly answer that question. It wasn’t an actual fight. Most people wouldn’t consider an interaction where the person leaves you with just a kiss as one. Though, it certainly wasn’t great for their relationship, especially at this very moment.

“What, don’t tell me you actually confessed, and that she rejected you.”

“It’s not that.” Kouji replied, especially considering what actually occurred. “But she did get mad at me.” He explained to his uncle what he was thinking. Truthfully, it might’ve been a bit brash, but it was only a consideration. It wasn’t like he was just going to abandon them just like that.

“I see.” His uncle took in the information given to him. It was certainly was a lot of try and find the right answer to. Truthfully, this was the first time the boy had ever come to him for aid, and that he was willing to help. In terms of experience, he had nothing that could improve this situation.

However, he did know how he felt about it.

“You shouldn’t worry about staying with me.” He told him.

“I understand.” Kouji assumed that his uncle was fine with him staying at the school. After all, it’s a lot better than what’s offered in this town. Even if it was an all-girls school.

“You don’t.” But he missed the point. “It’s obvious that you’ve made friends, don’t just make rash decisions like that.” It took a lot to admit it, but on the inside, Yokakura knew the truth about his prior life choices. “I took you away from people that cared about you before… I won’t repeat that same mistake.”

“Then, what about us?”

“Kouji.” His uncle let out a short chuckle. “I’m the adult, I’ll figure things out.” While they were gone, he had been doing some thinking as well. Perhaps it was in their bloodline, but both of them had came to the same conclusion. That the two should no longer be separate from one another.

Being that he was in his thirties, Yokakura had some resources to work with. Sure, it wouldn’t be easy, but he was bound to figure things out.

“You should’ve talked to me, before thinking of some crazy thing like that.”

“I’m sorry.” Kouji saw the error of his ways. His uncle was slowly learning more of his nephew. That boy was prone to making rash decisions, because of his own pride. It was clear, when he chose to move back to their hometown.

“Like I said already.” Yokakura put a hand on the young boys shoulder. “I’m the adult, so let me do most of the work. I promise, that I’ll do my best to be… Well, to help you be the best person you can be.”

“Thank you.” Kouji felt something in his heart, that he had never felt before. Or perhaps, it was something buried inside, forgotten in time until now. It was as if, he didn’t feel burdened by the scars of his past.

“Well, time for you to get out.” His uncle then grabbed the other shoulder, and turned him around.

“Huh? What? Why?” This was a sudden turn from the mood they had. Though it made sense, as soon as his uncle pointed to the clock. The agreed upon time to meet Isako was nearing, he was going to have to move fast to not miss it.

***

As he arrived at the station, there was a sense of dread within him. What was he going to do when he saw Teru? Or maybe the girl had decided to already leave on her own, which he’d have a difficult time explaining to Isako when they met.

It turned out that he would see Teru sitting all by her lonesome. Her feet up on the bench, but not crying, as he would’ve expected with that position. Though, she wasn’t talking, nor did she seem to notice him arrive. That was awkward for him, since that meant he was the one that had to start the conversation.

Luckily, or maybe not so luckily, Isako arrived and saw the two of them. She noted how sad the girl looked, and raised an eyebrow towards Kouji, wondering if he was the cause. Which was kind of the truth when Teru informed her of this thoughts.

“But he’s right here.” Isako pointed at him, which prompted the girl to turn her head.

“H-hi…” Well, it was going to happen eventually. At least he wasn’t the one that had to do the work on it. What he wasn’t expecting from the girl, was the loud shrill scream she had at his appearance. The idea of what he might’ve heard her say or see her do, the embarrassment was unbearable. It was so bad, that the two others had to cover their ears to save their hearing for the rest of their lives.

“Anyway.” Once Isako felt that it was safe to not cover her ears, she continued the topic. “What does she mean about you thinking of staying here?”

“It’s a bit of a long story.” He nervously scratched the back of his head. So he explained to her her about his thoughts on returning back to his uncle. Of course, she kind of scoffed at it, due to her lingering disdain for the man. However, she understood his thought process. That said, she informed him a choice like that was a bad idea, so that was one thing she agreed with Yokakura.

“Well, now that we’re all squared away.” Isako returned their thoughts back to their current situation. “Let’s hop on the train and head back home, shall we?” She let the two teens get on first, and followed them inside. The two of them did whatever it took to avoid eye contact, as they had yet to resolve their little ‘problem’. This wasn’t lost on their headmistress. “How about the two of you find us a seat? I have to go powder my nose.”

“Okay…” Kouji knew exactly what she was doing here. As much as he would’ve been fine with pretending nothing happened. It looked like there was no option. Plus, he did make a promise with Teru to try to be more honest about his feelings and hers to him. The two of them found a little section, far from most others in public. That was on purpose by him, because this was something he didn’t want any other eavesdroppers on.

They sat across from each other. Teru didn’t say a word to him, as she leaned onto the window sill of the train. Watching the buildings, and then soon fields, moving through her vision. The same thought was in both of their minds.

“So…” He was the one to start talking first. “You doing all right?” In response she pouted and crossed her arms, in the best attempt to pretend that she didn’t care.

“Of course I’m fine.” She said. “Do I look like I cared about you leaving?”

“Um, yes?” Her act was obvious to him, of course he could tell that she cared. Kouji didn’t consider himself to be that dense or anything. His reaction caused her to reveal a rosy blush to him. Teru knew that the gig was up.

“Well, how would you feel if your friend thought about just up and leaving?”

“I didn’t realize we were that close.” He said, referring to back at the convenience store. “I know it’s not the truth, but you don’t have to act all disgusted at the idea of dating me… We’re not enemies anymore.” Admittedly, there was probably a time when he would’ve flipped out if anyone suggested the idea of them being in a relationship. Nowadays, he would’ve just gotten a little embarrassed about it, before just denying it.

“I mean, of course we’re friends.” She said, struggling to get out the words. “But I didn’t mean anything about that kiss.” That one came out quickly though.

“Really?” That much he felt was a lie. “Then, I guess you don’t care about that girl I kind of like.”

“What?” She lost her facade for a moment. “I mean, of course I don’t.” Obviously, she did. Thus, that meant she wanted to try and find out who it was, without asking. So she waited a moment, before trying to prod for information. “Does she go to our school?”

“Yeah, unfortuantely I hardly have any time to see anyone else. You know, being stuck tutoring all of you.” That heavily narrowed down the list for her. Unless he hung out with some other girl in the school, the only people she knew he knew, was the rest of the study group.

“Is she bigger than me?”

“Bigger?” Kouji had no idea on what to make of that question. Bigger in what way? Well, seeing that Teru was smaller than most of the girls, he assumed what would be the right answer. “I guess?”

“Hmm...” So that ruled out Waa in her eyes, as she looked down at her chest. The girl cursed her lack of development, both in terms of competition and from trying to narrow down this list. But now she needed to try and act like that question was done to insult him. Good thing for her, that it didn’t matter which way he answered. There was something she had to cover both bases. “I guess she must be lamer than me.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” He asked, then his expression turned a bit mischievous, since he was getting her game a bit. “Jealous?”

“Obviously not, it’s just that you have bad taste.” She smugly leaned back and crossed her arms and legs.

“Bad taste in what?” He paused for a moment. What about her question meant anything about his taste in girls? It apparently size related to her. Then, it hit him, as he looked down to her chest. “…”

“H-hey, you per-pervert what are you doing?” She got upset with how his head tilted. “Fine, I was talking about that. And, it’s perfectly normal to be that small.”

“I see that you two are doing better.” Isako finally found them after taking her time pretending to look for them. “There’s actually something I wanted to tell you.”

“What would that be?” Kouji asked.

“Since all you girls were so wonderful, I thought that maybe tonight, we could call share some dinner. That includes you too Kouji.” Of course, he had his usual concerns about the money. She shot him down, saying that it’s a treat for getting over his illness. As reluctant as he was about it, the boy accepted the offer.

Though, given the girls he’s friends with. He should’ve just passed.

35