Vol.1: Ch.20
2.4k 12 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 20 

The old, and aged councilor Gibit looked to his king then back to the convict in confusion. His thick, overgrown brows descended until his beady eyes were almost completely covered by saggy skin. He was not the only one lost. The crowd stared blankly, while others murmured questions to each other that was only answered with shrugs.  

It was a testament to just how peaceful the Kingdom of Wisteria was. Its people, and even some of its important figures, knew nothing of the exact rules of exile.  

Livia resisted rolling her eyes, knowing she could not really mock them as she had been the exact same in the past.  

“My king, I am saddened to say that I do not follow,” councilor Gibit says in a respectful tone, “Please if it would not be of trouble, can you explain the problem?”   

King Grail's friendly disposition was gone. His face was now made up of stern lines of authority. His grip tightens slightly on his staff before his blue eyes flickered up to address the court.  

“Yes, I suppose it would be unknown,” He says, almost to himself. In a much louder voice, he continues.  

“When one is exiled from our kingdom, they are all tagged with a brace around their ankle. This brace acts as a tracker. Once the exiled steps out of Wisteria, they are forbidden to return. The brace alerts authorities to those who do not abide by this rule and they return the exiled back across the border. The band can only be taken off by royal blood,” King Grail explains.  

Councilor Gibit nods, “Yes, of course. I recall now.” He frowns then, and shoots accusing eyes to Livia, “But surely this brace isn’t foolproof, your highness? I’m sure some crook could have broken it by other means.”  

A noble step out then. It was the same one that had spoken up earlier. He seemed to be around the same age as the king and even shared similar featured with King Grail, but his eye was a dull grey, and his hair, though greying at the temples, was obviously brown. He was a distant cousin of the king and also a duke. He did not spare a glance at Livia, turning his back to her as he spoke to the king.  

“I agree with councilor Gibit. Any number of people could get close to the Royal House of Silvan and draw blood from them without them being aware,” Duke Gilchrist says adamantly, “For all we know, this woman could have broken free of the brace all on her own.”  

“Oh, but that is where you are mistaken, Sir,” Livia says, shaking her head sadly.  

Duke Gilchrist glares at her, “In what way?” He snaps.  

“In thinking that royal blood can be withdrawn by force,” Prince Orin says flatly.  

Duke Gilchrist flinches a bit, “But your highness...” 

“Royal blood is a precious thing to be protected at all cost,” Livia says, “It is only used for very important instances such as the security of Wisteria. It cannot be taken by force. Those of royal blood must fully consent first, and only then can blood be drawn.” 

“There are many nobles that have a lineage tied with that of Royal house of Silvan,” The councilor says with a sneer, pointedly directed at Livia, “Surely, one such person is behind your broken brace. No doubt many people would wish to sully the name of the royal family.”  

Livia has to stop herself from snorting. To think, the high-ranking nobles would be so far removed from their own rules. It was sad and rather alarming. She was aware that Wisteria was a prosperous and peaceful country, it had been her home after all, but certain things should be more common knowledge, especially to important figures so close to the King.  

“It is not that simple,” Livia says.  

Councilor Gibit and Duke Gilchrist all but bristled at this, but before they can argue further, the king cut in.  

“Miss Livia is correct,” He says, a bit sharply, “The security of our country is an important matter, and not just anyone would be able to open the brace for those who have been exiled. The task was limited to those who have a direct lineage with the Royal House of Silvan.” 

Duke Gilchrist and councilor Gibit flounder after the king had spoken. 

“So, as you see, this is no light matter,” King Grail says sternly.  

“Of course, your highness. I apologize for being outspoken,” The councilor says and bows under the King glower.  

“Yes, of course,” The duke says, and steps back in line.  

The king's eyes stare a second longer at the councilor before he returns his heavy stare to Livia.  

“Miss Livia, I do concede that the absence of your brace is definite proof that something had gone horribly amiss in regards to your exile. I would like for you, and everyone present, to understand that I do not take this incident lightly by no means, and the matter will be thoroughly investigated into,” The King makes a point scan the crowd, and make eye contact with many people in the room to get across that he was dead serious as he spoke, before he returns his focus on Livia.  

For once, the mass of common folk remains quiet, listening with great interest and respect to their king.  

Livia bows her head slightly at this, equally respectful, but inside she felt rather grey and dull.  

The king was not aware of what truly occurred.  

His mask had dropped to his feet when she revealed her brace-less ankle, and for a split second, a thunderous expression had overtaken his features before he could get it under control. But even after he did, King grail seemed to be rather troubled and disturbed. And all the times she had glimpsed at him in her past when she was only a young girl, he never looked as he did now.  

He looked like a king who now faced a threat to his kingdom.  

A king who would do anything to find and nullify that threat. 

She believed him. King Grail did see this matter as something to be looked into. For the sake of Wisteria, for the sake of his people, he will not downplay what she said.  

Of course, King Grail was still not to be trusted. She was well aware that he had the power to fix his sons mistakes, but for some reason, had not. Even so, it seemed he was not a foolish king, and he did care for the kingdom that he ruled. 

In contrast, the Princes by his side hold their act well, looking just as stern as their father, but there was a coolness to them, a calm that should not be present after what she just had said. They did not seem unnerved like their father, no, their mask did not waver even after she revealed the truth. They kept up their act with perfect precision, and it was that which made Livia assured that they were still the main suspects.  

However,” King Grail says, bringing Livia out of her thoughts, “I get the unfortunate impression that your story is not over. And there is more you wish to tell. I will give you my full attention, but I do not think the current setting is appropriate for such a delicate matter. I think for your sake, we should retreat to a more private setting before we can continue.”  

Livia's lips press into a thin line, thinking for a moment before she nods.

“You are correct, your highness. There is still more that I must share. If you wish for a more private discussion, I will oblige, but I am unafraid to share what I must to whoever will hear me so justice can be had,” She says calmly.  

The mass does not take to kindly in knowing they will not hear everything to the end.  

“Wait, it is already over?” 

“But I still have so many questions!” 

“I’m so confused.” 

“Did I hear her right? Miss Livia said she was kidnapped?” 

“I bet they will leave us out of such important happening again.” 

“Isn’t this actually really serious!?” 

“The royal family is somehow involved.” 

“Shh! That is a serious thing you should not say so openly.”  

“We should be able to witness this! Miss Livia is a commoner now just as us!” One voice says loudly over the growing mutters.  

“That is true.” 

“You’re right!” 

“Yeah!” 

“What better place to settle this matter than in commoner court?” The same voice speaks up, and a chorus of loud agreements and silent nods spread throughout the crowd.  

The loud sound of a solid gold staff hitting stone echoes through the room, and the noise level shrinks into nothing.  

King Grail has a deep crease between his grey eyebrows, and his mouth is pressed into a displeased purse, but when he speaks, his voice is smooth and does not waver as he comes to a decision.  

“Livia Katrina Valentine,” He says with a voice that rumbles and causes everyone in the room to straighten to full attention, “You had once been exiled from your home country after the crown prince, my son, had ruled that you were guilty of the attempted murder of one Amelia Margaret Reeve at the night of your debutante. Much time has passed since then, and now you have returned to the very kingdom that cast you out to tell your side of the events of that night.” 

The King leans forward, his blue gaze boring into her, “Now that you have spoken your peace, there is two questions you have yet to answer. Why have you decided to return to the kingdom that failed you so greatly? What justice do you seek?”  

Livia's eyes widen slightly, but that is the only thing that belays her surprise. She had not thought anyone noticed she had yet to speak of the reason for her return. It seems the king is sharper than she gave him credit for. She notes this and puts it away to keep mind of it the future. Still, it was something that needed to be said. She put it off for all this time, skirting away from it as she told her story grandly.  

She knew why she was here. The real reason. But brashly stating that she sought out revenge would be truly stupid, and therefore she must go another way. Obviously, it was not a hard jump to make, and she would be well within her right, it would be understandable even, but she did not wish to paint herself as a revenge seeker. It would do her no good if all those around her was constantly wary of her intentions.  

But King Grail's question does leave her at a crossroads.  

Now that she proved that her words held truth with the spell Prince Orin cast and with her lack of a tracker brace, there was still more to be done.  

Plan A was scrapped. As much as it was delightful to imagine the chaos she would cause if she through everything out in the open in one go, it was useless if that was all it would bring. She could have easily been declared some mad loon seeking vengeance, and murdered on the spot or shipped back out of the country. 

Her original plan was pretty much catching fire in an imaginary dumpster in her mind. There had been so many twists and turns to navigate that she had no hope of seeing prematurely, and it was a reminder that life never followed one carefully constructed plan, no matter how simplistic or complicated. She had the advantage of knowing some of the future, but what good was that when she played a main factor in spiraling everything off course?  

She was treading new ground, and it would be wise for her to be cautious. To not lay all her cards in a single basket.  

Her original objective was to accuse the princes of foul play out in the open and to use every bit of evidence she could gather to use as proof against them. It was the reason why she and Sen had been on the hunt, backtracking, and investigating as much as they could for the past three months. But any hard evidence would have long been lost, which led to her using other means.  

Livia resists the urge to grasp at the crystal sphere hanging around her neck.  

It was a memory stone. It was a rare, magical item that stored memories that can be later viewed. Her memories, as well as Beth’s, were currently residing in the stone. Specifically, the night she was kidnapped, and the day she arrived in the Eastern Empire. It was irrefutable proof, her trump card, but it was not yet complete.  

It was incriminating, sure.  

The problem was that neither Crown Prince Rodale nor Prince Orin was present in any of the memories. There was no link between them. And after three months, Livia and Sen still have yet to get their hand on any evidence that either one or both of the princes were behind her kidnapping. Livia could not declare them guilty based on anything she gathered, at least not yet. She did not have the privilege of being a crown prince or an important enough figure to have her word against theirs.  

Not to mention by revealing the only thing that she could use to incriminate them, in a room fool of their allies, would not be very smart. 

Still, what good is it to have if it remains hidden?  

Though...maybe it doesn’t have to be. 

Instead of broadcasting the fact she suspected the Princes and desired greatly to see them in ruin, wouldn’t it better to continue on the wavelength that she just suspected a member in the royal family, but did not who was behind the actual deed?  

Yes.  

Livia could use this to her advantage.  

Maybe it wouldn’t be all that bad to step back into the role of the inconsiderate girl she once been. Sure, the original Livia from the game was a sly thing, but she lacked wit and her schemes were always laughably shallow. She had played into the role well, though even without her memories, things were bound to be different. She was Livia now, there was no doubt about it, but at the same time, she was not. Still, she had always been the girl that was spoiled and arrogant, and though smart, she was easily distracted by small childish things like her pettiness and jealousy.  

That girl wouldn’t be so calculating 

Indeed, maybe it wasn’t best to show just how much she changed.  

What they do not know, what they are made unaware, could only be used to her advantage 

On that track, there is the matter of the storyline as well. Just how much did her actions screw things up? Well, she guesses that was a problem for another day. She would find out that much soon enough.  

Back onto task.  

What did the King ask again? 

Oh. Right.  

What was her reason for returning?  

What justice did she seek? 

Hmm. What would OG Livia have done in this situation? Other than flail and be a demanding bitch, because the time for that has long passed. Ah. She knows exactly what the foolish girl would have done. OG Livia hadn’t entirely stupid, after all. She had still been a manipulative villainess, and esteemed actress in her own right.  

So, she finally speaks after a long pause, her tone even but somehow almost pleading, desperate.  

“I only seek out what should have taken place nearly two years ago, your highness,” Livia says.  

“And what might that be?” King Grail asks, already preparing himself to listen to her demands.  

“A trial,” Livia says simply.  

King Grail blinks, surprised.  

“A trial?” He parrots.  

“Yes, your highness. I only seek fair justice for myself and to those who had interfered with my exile,” Livia says.  

“You wish of nothing more than that? You have no other demands?” The king questions carefully, his expression doubtful. Prince Orin stare bore into her, but she ignores him. Her gaze flicker over to Crown Prince Rodale, but his neutral mask was firmly in place.  

“I wish for my side of the story to be properly heard. I wish for those who interfered with the kingdom's justice to be found and brought to trial, no matter their station. I can only hope my demands are not too burdensome, but I have nothing more to ask of you than that,” Livia says, her tone polite and almost meek.  

The throng of people around them murmur quietly, but the voices are so muted that Livia cannot make out any particular sentence. All the same, the mood in the Great Red Hall has become quieter and more reserved, but she could see how their view of her has changed. From scared, wary, openly curious, to finally sympathetic and even approval. 

Biting back a wide smile, Livia keeps her expression somber but earnest. She even lets herself start to tremble a bit before she pointedly clasps her hand tightly in front of her to stop it.  

What a weak sight she must make.  

A pathetic girl who had been wrong, who returned to tell her side of the story, and all she asked for was another trial.  

Truly, she was piteous.  

King Grail would not deny her. Not right now.  

Not after she watered the seed of doubt that clearly had been planted in the heats of the people of Wisteria since she had been exiled. That small seed had been slowly fading, but now it was stronger than ever and starting to thrive. It was one thing to ignore rampant rumors, to hunker in while a small storm raged outside, and it was another thing entirely to turn your back on a potential threat that could cause a revolt.  

The king must prove himself to his people.  

Here and now.  

As if mirroring her thoughts, the king's voice booms out, “I, King Grail William Silvan, hear by grant Miss Livia Katrina Valentine another trial under the notion that the first trial had been rushed and executed improperly. The trial will be expedited, and held in three days' time at early dawn in commoners court,” He declares to the room before finalizing his decision with a bang of his staff that seems to ring not only throughout the Great Red Hall but the castle as a whole.  

“Commoner court is henceforth dismissed,” King Grail says after the ringing dies down. He nods to the guards lining the wall, and in unison, they all begin to slowly escort the large murmuring crowd out of the hall without a word. By the day's end, news of the scene Livia had created would spread throughout the kingdom.  

The king knew it was better to get in front and take control before things got out of hand, but he would not make a proper statement until after the trial. The people can wait until then, and all rumors that muster up in the meanwhile will be silenced then.  

In a much lower voice, the King speaks to Livia.  

“Miss Livia, there is a private room just to the side of the throne. These talks took much longer than expected, and I am sure you are weary from your long travel. Please make yourself comfortable and we will join you shortly in a moment notice,” He tells her as two guards' step beside her.  

Livia nods her head, and looks back to Sen, “What of my friend, your highness? Would it be too impolite to ask that he join us as well? I would have never made it this far, without him.”  

The King doesn’t spare Sen a glance as the councilor and other nobles all but bomb rushes him, talking in harsh whispers.  

He nods, distracted, “Yes, that is fine.” He says.  

Sen follows behind her as she is escorted to a hidden room. Before they make it to the door one of the guards hold open for them, Livia glances briefly over at the still mingling crowd and sees many heads turned in her direction, openly staring. She walks forward, her foot comes down on her long cloak, and she stumbles forward.  

The fabric caught beneath her boot doesn’t budge, and when she trips, her arms come out on instinct, splaying the thick cloak wide open. Her stomach is on fool display as she wobbles forward, and the loud gasps of shock were unmistakable. Still, she takes a few long seconds to catch her balance, and Sen only reaches out to her after she almost falls to the floor.  

They make eye contact, his yellow eyes knowing, and she flashed him a brief smirk before her face flushes in embarrassment and she hastily fixes her cloak while glancing around anxiously.  

The two guards obviously got an eye full, if their stiff posture and slightly widening eyes were anything to go by, but who else?  

Oh, it seems quite a few commoners have stopped to openly gape at her, a few older women were gossiping while staring at her with wide eyes, as were a few young girls. It was a good handful, no, maybe two or three handfuls.  

Good, good.  

She glances over to the throne and sees Prince Rodale's head turned in her direction. His icy blue eyes are as round as she ever has seen them in her entire life, his mask cracked wide open to broadcast the genuine surprise painted all over his face. The king's head was still bowed, and many nobles did not turn her way, but a few did, though mostly to glare. Behind them was Prince Orin who met her stare with a frozen look. It was like reality itself paused, for how still he was.  

She flushes further and looks away to stare at the ground as she steps through the door of the private room. Her long hair easily hides her face, and she smiles wide and big, her eyes practically glittering in delight.  

Plans change.  

And reality was a harsh thing to maneuver 

Even so, today, she was triumphant 

Things were finally starting to fall into place, and Livia eagerly looked forward to the next few days.  

Coming down from the last chapter, things are going to mellow out a bit, before picking back up. As usual, please leave a comment below and tell me your thoughts. ^^

Please note, updates will be slowing down a bit from now on. My job is becoming a bit more demanding than usual, so I will not have as much time to write over the next few months. Thanks and hope you all understand! 

Until next time.

68