Vol. 2 Ch.43
1.3k 11 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 43

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Sen asks, watching from the sidelines.  

Beth sets down the large glass pitcher of water on the table and turns to Sen with a pleasant smile.  

“Lady Livia was very insistent in joining Miss Liliana, plus, she has been rather restless as of late,” she tells Sen as she steps beside him.  

Sen glances her way, “And you approved of it? Isn’t it unsafe in her condition? Shouldn’t she be resting more?”  

Beth shrugs elegantly, “It can be, certainly. But Lady Livia is in good health and has been rather active throughout her pregnancy. As long as she keeps the exercise light, it should be perfectly fine. But, to be safe, I am here, and Miss Amaya is keeping an eye on both of them as well.” 

Sen shakes his head, “So much for peaceful and quiet days.” 

Beth chuckles, “Indeed.” 

They both watch as Amaya claps her hands, ending the stretching routine and beginning the actual exercise.  

“Alright, let’s begin with some squats.” Amaya's dark brown curls were pulled into a high and casual ponytail on her head and her caramel skin was aglow with a light sheen of sweat. Instead of the standard Valentine uniform for maids, she was wearing black pants and a sleeveless top with leather boots. Her figure, outside of uniform, was rather impressive for a mere maid. As was her form as she demonstrated to Liliana how to execute a perfect squat.  

“Pretend you are going to sit down,” Amaya was saying with a grin, as she rises, “And keep your knees apart.” 

Liliana flushes, looking adorable in her riding gear, “But that is not how a lady is supposed to sit!” 

Livia, stuck wearing a dress that Beth had made for her that stops below her knees with leather boots, smirks faintly, “No, but it is the way an adventurer sits.”  

Liliana’s eyes instantly sparkle, “Really?”  

She turns to Amaya, looking very expectant, “Is that true, Miss Amaya?” 

Amaya nods her head, and puffs out her chest, “Of course it is, darling! Everyone in my guild sits this way.” 

Liliana suddenly looks very determined, “Alright! I shall do ten in one minute! Surely it can’t be that hard!” Then she bends her knees and pops up like a jack in the box, and does it twice more.  

Amaya tsks, “That was great, Liliana, sweetie. Really. But, here, let me just,” She walks over and adjusts Liliana's stance mid squat and steps back and nods her head in approval, “Alright. Try now.”  

Liliana manages to do two before her legs begin to shake, looking very confused as she bites her lip.  

Amaya looks amused, “Alright there, darling? Do you need help getting back up?”  

Liliana instantly shakes her head, “No! I can do this!” All she was doing was bending her knees, but why did her thighs burn so much? It seemed like such a simple thing to do, these ‘squats’, but her legs were beginning to protests quite a bit and they have barely begun! 

Livia calmly rises from her own squat next to her sister, “You are doing great, Lili, but there is no need to rush.”  

Amaya helps Liliana stand, “Your sister is right. Let’s get back on task and do it all together, alright?”  

Liliana pouts, “You two make it look so easy. Do your legs not hurt at all? Is it not normal?”  

Livia nods, “Oh, it is. I remember the first time I did a squat. I instantly stopped and went and had a snack for my great and brave effort.”  

Amaya looks amused, “After just one?”  

Livia blinks, “Did I mention it was the first time ever?”  

Liliana jumps up and down, “What is next, Miss Amaya?”  

Amaya thinks a bit then says, “Let’s set the timer, shall we?”  

She waves her hand and a small, glowing red orb appears on the side of her head, “For now, let’s just do it for a minute each, alright? This little thing will make a sound when it’s time to move onto the next thing. Livia, remember to take it slow, okay?” 

Livia rolls her eyes and flaps her hand.  

Amaya gets in position in front of them, “Alright, let's start with squats.”  

Liliana’s mouth falls open, “Eeh? Didn’t we just do that?”  

Amaya smirks, “That was just practice, darling. Now, it’s time to do the real thing. Don’t worry. I will make sure this first session will be perfectly suited for beginners.” 

Liliana's eyes shine with determination, “Alright! And once we finish doing that, we will start doing the real stuff, right? Maybe even some sword work, right? Like a knight!”  

Twenty minutes later.  

Livia pokes at Liliana’s unmoving form on the forest floor, “Lili? Are you still with us?”  

“Mndsamfm,” Liliana mutters into the dirt.  

Livia cups her ear, fighting down a smile, “What was that, little sister? I could not hear.”  

Liliana raises her head and shoots a half-hearted glare to Livia then to Amaya who was openly snickering.  

“That was not easy at all! I thought you said it was for beginners?” She whines, rolling over so she could sulk properly.  

“It is, I swear,” Amaya says between giggles.  

Livia offers her sister a hand, “You did really well, Lili. You hadn’t stopped once. It was really impressive.”  

Compared to the first time Livia ever attempted to work out, it really was. She had not been kidding about giving up after one squat in her first life.  

Liliana takes her sister's hand, still pouting as she gets to her wobbly legs. It has only been a few minutes, but her whole body felt like it was made out of soft noodles. She stares down at her feet unhappily.  

Amaya comes over and pats her on the back, “Your sister is right, you did very well, Miss Liliana.” 

Liliana’s bottom lips poke out more, “But you two barely broke a sweat and you both went through the routes so prettily, and it seems so easy but it’s not, and my arms are going numb, is that normal?” She looks upon the last part, her arms hanging heavily by her side. 

Amaya's smirk softens, “Trust me, the first time is always a bit rough, but you will learn over time just like I did.” She leans in close to whisper, “When your sister first taught me these routines, I was a mess as well. It was so strange and foreign but so effective. I was reluctantly impressed.”  

Liliana’s eyes widen, “My sister taught you?” She turns to gape at Livia, “You taught her?”  

Livia pulls the glass of water away from her mouth, and gives Amaya a look, “Yeah, I did.”  

Liliana all but skips over to stand before her older sister, tilting her head, “How? Who taught you? How did you learn to do all of this? And why is it call a ‘squat’? It’s such a funny name!”  

Livia shrugs, “I saw it somewhere in a book with pictures.”  

Of course, by picture book, she means on her touch screen phone that she dearly misses, even now. You don’t realize the convince of having so much information at your fingertips until you try to look up a mystical animal in the middle of a magical forest on a fantasy alien planet only to realize that it does not exist.  

Liliana opens her mouth, about to ask more questions when Beth calls to them.  

“Breakfast is ready, Lady Livia and Miss Liliana,” She gestures to the table she had brought out for them.  

Liliana’s stomach rumbles loudly, and she blushes instantly, “Excuse me,” she says, covering her belly.  

Livia just smiles, “Come along, Lili. Let us eat, and then we can head back to the estate.”  

“Okay,” Liliana offers her sister her arm and peaks shyly at Sen and Beth when they arrive at the table, “Will you be joining us? There is plenty of food and seats.” 

Sen stares coolly at her, “I have already eaten.” 

Beth gives her a soft smile as she pulls out a chair for Livia, “As have I dear, but thank you.”  

“I haven’t,” Amaya says and plops down inelegantly. 

“Miss Amaya,” Beth begins to protest but Livia waves her off.  

“It’s fine Beth. It’s just us.”  

Amaya winks at Beth, causing her to frown in disapproval, “Lady Livia is right. The guards his royal hard-ass has stationed here have set up a perimeter. They aren’t within earshot much less eyesight of us.” 

“Miss Amaya, language!” Beth protests as Liliana’s eyes round.  

“Oops, apologies,” Amaya says casually before taking a dainty sip of her freshly squeezed orange juice.  

Liliana giggles, while Livia inhales a blueberry muffin and three grapes.  

The morning passes peacefully.  

 


 

“Where are you going?”  

Livia does not jump. She tucks her cloak around her and turns to face Sen coolly.  

“I have errands to run,” she tells him and opens the carriage door.  

Sen places his hands over her to prevent her from going inside, “In the middle of the night? Without telling anyone?” He asks coldly.  

Livia pointedly looks at the coachmen next to her, “I told Carl.”  

Carl Banton had recently been promoted from stable boy to Livia’s personal chauffeur at the young age of twenty-two. He was also the same person who had helped Livia sneak out to meet King Grail. Livia was quite impressed by how he had managed to slither his way back to the estate without anyone noticing.  

Carl waves at Sen, “Hullo.”  

Sen glares at him and then at Livia.  

“Where are you going?” He asks again, his voice lowering.  

Livia boops him on the nose, “If I told you, I will have to kill you.”  

Carl pales in the background, his weak, “Wait, what,” getting lost under Sen’s words.  

“Livia, the whole point of you staying at the estate is because it is the safest place you can be at the moment. Dodging your guards, and sneaking out a night defeats the purpose,” The words are slowly said. Like a parent calmly explaining to a child why eating dirt was bad.  

“That may be so, but I am on a time crunch. I have less than ten days before I lose my magic for good, Sen. I have certain things that need I need to get done before then,” Livia says as she removes her hand from under Sens and places a foot on the carriage steps.  

Carl helps her inside and a second later, Sen joins her. Carl shuts the door behind him and moves to the front of the carriage. With a jerk, the clop, clop of the horses' hooves ring out.  

“Where-” Sen starts.  

“In town, to Felglades Tavern,” Livia says as they pull out of the Valentine Estate. She closes the window curtain and leans back in her seat with a sigh. Inside her belly, her son was wide awake and energetic. She places her hand on the place he was happily kicking at.  

Sen’s expression darkens, “You had intended on going to Felglades at this time of night alone? Are you crazy?”  

Livia gives Sen a narrowed-eyed stare, “I am not. I have Noctis with me.” The furry scarf around her neck unwinds and two large doe eyes glint in the darkness of the carriage.  

Livia pets her familiar. He had grown a lot over the months. Noctis went from the small kitten she could cup in her hands and into the teenage and long body that could curl around her neck. He was still young though, but a little less rowdy and more independent and playful.  

“Even still, that is no longer a place you can visit casually,” Sen says severely, “It’s the main haunt of mercenaries in Wisteria. It is close enough to the capital to go in and out of it, but far enough away to go undetected. By now, word would have spread of the hefty price laying over your head. While it's only being passed through word of mouth, and through certain connections, by now, they would have settled down in the town, just waiting for an opportunity like this.”  

Only Livia’s eyes move to stare at Sen, “You don’t think I already know all of this?” She asks him, her voice almost a whisper.  

Sen leans forward, a scowl on his face, “Then why risk it? Anything you could have needed, I could have gone and gotten it for you.”  

Livia pets her stomach, a small smirk on her face, “Not for this. The thing I want, it’s too delicate. Plus, I need to see it with my own eyes to make sure it is legitimate.” She fingers at the small glass orb resting on the base of her neck. The one that stores her memories, and Beth’s. In the end, it didn’t have much use.  

Sen's eyes fall to it, “...You needed more?”  

“Of this and other things,” Livia says.  

Sen leans back, his scowl lifting up, “How will you make use of it? Your magic...” 

“That’s why I need it now,” Livia utters.  

“Why? You already have the one. Isn’t it enough?” Sen asks.  

Livia drops her hand and places it back on her stomach. It seems to always somehow find her way back to her growing child, even without her notice. Her eyes grow distant.  

“This small crystal isn’t enough. Not for what I have planned.” 

“...Which is?” Sen presses.  

But Livia closes her eyes and leans her head back, “I’m taking a nap. Wake me when we arrive.”  

 


 

Livia is shaken awake. She pries her heavy eyes open and blinks slowly. Around her neck, Noctis butts his head under her chin, meows, before he curls up tighter and settles down.  

“We are here,” Sen says simply before leaving the carriage.  

Livia stretches and yawns before she also gets out with the help of Sen, who pulls up the hood of her cloak without prompt.  

Carl had not entered the town of Charbane but stopped short of it in a reclusive part of the road. Livia nods to him once, before following Sen to the main road. They keep to the shadows and dark alleys without saying a word to each other.  

Soon, they stand in front of Felglades Tavern.  

Sen opens the door and Livia walks past him. The noise level in the tavern in the smell of freshly spilled beer is very familiar, but unlike the many taverns Livia had been to during her travels, this one raises the hairs on the back of her neck even though not a single person glances her way.  

She tucks a strand of purple hair further into her cloak, and heads to the back, to a private and dark corner with Sen following closely behind her heels.  

They find a table with a single, bulky figure sipping at a pint of beer.  

Livia and Sen join them.  

“I almost thought you wouldn’t show,” A gruff voice says from under the cloak.  

Livia claps her hands primly in front of herself, ignoring the stickiness of the table, and snorts, “Right, because this is some sordid deal and a lady of my standing should be nowhere near it, is that it?”  

A low chuckle emits from the dark figure, “You can’t blame me for being skeptical. I was quite surprised when word of your ‘return’ got back to me. To think, the young woman who I had been working with all this time was the exiled heiress of the Valentine household and the ex-fiancé of the crown prince of Wisteria.”  

Sen shifts next to Livia, his eyes scanning the room even though the hooded figure had kept his voice low.  

“Let’s not speak so bluntly. Your magic is flinty at best old man,” Sen mutters, keeping vigilant despite the privacy spell he felt settle over his skin the moment they had set down.  

The figure snickers and waves a large, lightly hairy hand, “My magic is as stable as it was in my youth. Young folks these days, speaking so ill towards their seniors.”  

Livia sighs and slumps a bit, “Enough. Can we drop all the theatrics? Clive Carmine, do you have what I ordered?”  

Clive Carmine, ex-adventurer turned mercenary in his mid-thirties, drops the hood of his cloak to reveal a roguish face with a strong jawline. He scratches absently at his beard as his dark brown eyes grin.  

“You speak of it as if this was a simple commission of picking squid mushrooms, or black lilies,” Clive says casually as he rummages through his cloak and pulls out a velvet black sack tied with a red string. He drops the small sack between them and pushes it towards Livia with a ‘go on’ hand gesture.  

Livia plucks up the bag and is pleased to find it heavy. She pulls delicately at the red string and pulls the velvet bag open to peek inside. Small, round and misshapen clear crystals were gleaming dully inside. Livia pulled one out to inspect it closely, turning it over in the light and letting her magic seep gently into it.  

She hums to herself and nods in approval, “These are good. Really good. I’m glad to see that you did not take advantage of me paying you in advanced,” she says.  

Sen glances down at the bag and raises an eyebrow, “It seems overabundant.”  

Livia smiles, “I promise you, it’s not.”  

Clive shakes his head and leans back, “What use do you have of this plain clear quartz? And why make me go through the trouble of getting them from that very specific spot. It seems a bit much for such a little reward.”  

Livia's smile shrinks into a smirk, “Well, I guess it should matter not. You still got paid at the end of the day, didn’t you?” She closes the velvet bag and stuffs it into her cloak, before rolling her wrists, “And the other one?”  

Clive scratches his beard, still looking mildly curious before shrugging and digging into his cloak and pulling out a chunk of raw ore, “A merchant could have gotten you these items as easy as I did, and you would have been paying the same,” He says as she pushes the ore across the table, “This one, it’s goshenite, right? The ‘mother of crystals.”  

Livia's eyes sparkle when they land on the raw ore. It was as colorless as the clear quartz. She picks up the raw ore, and has to use both her hands as she inspects it closely, giving it the same treatment as the quartz but taking a few minutes longer before a small grin spread on her face.  

“Perfect,” She says, her voice coming from far away, “This is exactly what I need.”  

Clive and Sen stare at the raw ore, trying to see what she did. Neither one knew of any magical and none magical use of the raw ore.  

“Is that so?” Clive says as his thick brows crinkle.  

“It is,” Livia replies and pulls out her small, worn sack from her cloak. The raw goshenite disappears inside, and the sack is put back into her cloak.  

Livia stands carefully, pressing a hand to her belly, “Well, Clive Carmine, it seems your reputation proceeds you. I will send the rest of your money within a few days. Come along Sen, we must get going.”  

Sen stands along with her, as does Clive.  

“As usual, business with you is as quick as ever,” The ex-adventurer comments before he guzzles down his beer and wipes his mouth with the back of his hand, “Here, I will help escort you out.” 

Livia barely glances back, “There is no need,” she tells him but Clive's eyes shift to a spot in the room then back to her and Sen. 

“I insist,” he tells them.  

Sen and Livia do not follow his gaze or lose their relaxed posture. She simply shrugs elegantly and says, “Fine, do what you want,” And lets herself be escorted.  

Even though it would be more beneficial to stick to the main roads, the group of three remains in the shadows and treck down damp alleyways.  

They are near the edges of town, at the dark side of the south gate, when their pursuers become impatient and make a move. Two dark figures land in front of them and three more behind them.  

Livia catches a glimpse of a blue tattoo in the shape of a shark's teeth under the eyes of the three before them, before the glint of metal and the sound of two swords clashing distract her.  

Sen steps in front of her, while Clive steps behind her and blocks the two daggers that had been aiming for the back of his head.  

Livia's eyes roll skyward. It was so damn annoying when Sen was right.  

“Hurry! Get the girl!” One of their assailants, the leader, Livia is guessing, shouts.  

One of the dark figures instantly darts around Sen on quick feet and reaches out a hand towards her. Livia takes two quick steps to the left, avoiding it, while she contemplates how to retaliate.  

Magic was off the table. She had better use it in the future.  

And close, physical confrontation was also not an option given her very limited mobility. At least, it was without a bit of help. Livia spins on her heel, avoiding another grab from her person at the same time she nuzzles into Noctis around her neck.  

“Get up, sweetie. It’s time to stretch your claws,” She mutters with a smirk.  

There is a sweet little purr around her neck, and then all of her senses sharpen into pinpoint focus. Her back hits a brick wall, and the dark figure, a part of the mercenary group called the Ice Sharks, smirks cockily as he moves closer.  

“You shouldn’t make this more difficult than it needs to be,” The mercenary tells her, “Just come with us and we won’t have to kill your companions.”  

Simple, wasn’t it?  

Just grab some lost merchandise and get paid a fortune.  

No doubt, that is what all who take on the job think.  

Honestly, it was like they never heard of the term ‘too good to be true.  

Livia tries to make herself one with the unforgiving wall behind her while her shrouded face frantically looks from Clive and Sen as if waiting for them to come and save her. Of course, in reality, she was wondering if she should just go for his throat or break a few fingers then go for his throat.  

The mercenary smirk grows and he clamps a steely hand around her arm and yanks her away from the wall at the same time he pulls out a small glowing rock.  

Livia's eyes widen.  

Well, maybe they aren’t entirely foolish. 

It the last thing she thinks before her stomach drops and she is teleported away.  

 

?

(Also, how is my world-building so far guys? Let me know below and until next time!)

33