Chapter 2
331 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

People are born into certain circumstances and have different starts in life. Though people will find it unfair, there is one constant. Time. It is fair for everyone, as no one can make time go faster or slower.

Conan lay on the ground with his arms spread wide and eyes closed. ‘So bored.’ His ears picked up on the footsteps approaching.

“You didn’t even try to hide!”

“Oh no!” Conan opened his eyes as he looked up toward the young girl towering above him. Her hands were crossed over her polka-dot dress, but he paid more attention to her face which was pouting.

She stamped her foot on the ground. “What so funny?” Her gaze intensified.

‘Well, at least tormenting kids is still fun.’ Rolling over, he bumped into the sofa. “I’m just bored. Why don’t you hide, and I’ll come find you?”

No! You do not even look for me.

‘Darn. She’s learning fast.’ 

“What are you two doing?”

“Auntie!” The little girl nearly jumped five feet to reach the older woman.

Her eyes grew big for a moment before she let out a small grunt of her own. “You’re getting to big for this. What are you two doing?”

“Playing hide and seek, but Conan is bad at it.” She turned her small head to look at Conan.

"Is he now?"

"Me and Melissa just have two different ideas on what fun is." Conan smirked.

"What's idea?" Melissa looked into her aunt's eyes.

"Well, that is when someone thinks something. Why don't you come help me bake cookies instead?"

Melissa's face brightened up like a light bulb at the word cookie. "Yeah! Let's go! Let's go!" She nearly fell restlessly moving around in her aunt's arms.

"I'll pass."

"You should hang out more with your cousin, Conan. You can't always play by yourself. You'll have to make friends eventually."

“One day but not today.” Conan grabbed a novel from under the sofa he stored there beforehand.

His mother looked at him and shook her head. This child of hers was something else. Smart, yes but he did not like hanging around other people. Something was wrong here and she just did not know what it was.

“Dad’s coming home today right?” Conan flicked the book open without turning to look at his mother.

“Yes. His plane should arrive at 3:15 pm, so not that much longer.”

Melissa and his mother both headed into the kitchen leaving Conan all alone in the living room. His mother had a smile on her face.

‘I guess he really loves his father.’

‘I can’t wait to get the next installment of Harry Potter. If I have to read Goblet of Fire again, I’ll lose my mind. Maybe I should just write the rest myself?’ Conan yawned as he flipped the page and then paused.

‘That’s it!’ Conan shut the book and ran to his room. He had to go past the kitchen which caused him to garnish the stares from his mother and cousin but he ignored them.

His mother always praised him for doing a good job of keeping his room clean. Conan liked everything to be organized in a way it was easy for him to find. That was all.

[Future Career Path - 1]

[Literature]

[Technology]

[Sciene]

[History]

[Mathematics]

[Business]

[Sports]

[...]

The game-like window continued to reward him for pushing himself and now after five years, it gave him a choice to make. It was a hard choice for someone like him so he left it undecided.

‘I can become a novelist like I was before. Although I never became famous nor wrote anything that sold well, that was then. This time I think it will be different!’ Conan grabbed a handful of paper and a pencil.

He did not consider himself a genius by any standard, but he was doing better than other children his age. He heard his parents talk about placing him in advanced classes, but he told them he did not want to do that.

‘Why study hard when I can just cruise through school?’ Was something he proudly thought to himself every time it was mentioned he should be placed in a school for the gifted.

He started to scribble down various ideas for stories but felt a lot of them were too complex. It was going to be his first story since his rebirth, he wanted it to be simple but fun.

“What is he doing?” Melissa peaked through the crack of the door.

“I’m not sure, he always does things that amaze me. So I’m sure it will be something special.” Her aunt was also curious about Conan.

“I want to be special too!”

“You are special!” Her aunt rubbed her head. ‘Especially if you can get that boy to do anything besides laze around.’ 

“I don’t feel special!”

“Wait until you start school. Aren’t you excited about it?”

Melissa jumped at the mention of school. “I’m going to make so many friends.”

“I just bet you will darling!”

 

14