Chapter 33 – Freaky Encounter?
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 6, 2017

0811 hours, Naval Air Station Key West, USA

 

5 Klicks in 20 mins. I’m too old.’ George thinks as he stops to catch his breath.

 

Standing at around 6’2, George is in a gray USMC t-shirt and a pair of white joggers with matching runners. George Sinclair Beggingson looks good for a distinguished 49-year-old Brigadier General in the United States Marine Corps dripping in sweat.

 

Thank God I’m retiring.’ George thinks to himself.

 

George is lost in his thoughts as he walks the path with an outdoor shed on his right side.

 

I wonder if Gertrude’s granddaughters have landed in DC yet? Those poor girls-’ George thinks to himself when suddenly someone bumps into him as they are stepping out of the shed.

 

“I am so sorry!” The young lady shouts profusely as she removes her AirPods.

 

“At ease.” George says, still standing, “It takes more than that to knock this old man down.”

 

“I am so so sorry. I wasn’t-” The 5’5 young lady in janitorial outfit begins to say.

 

“Paying attention.” George interrupts, “What is your name?”

 

“Alena Smith, Sir.” Alena responds.

 

“You remind me of my granddaughter, Alena.” George laughs heartily, “She too bumps into me.”

 

“Again, I am really sorry, Sir.” Alena says bowing her head.

 

“Chin up.” George says then asks, indicating to the room behind Alena, “What are you doing?”

 

“I’m a janitor, Sir.” Alena says while standing at attention.

 

“I see… What do you want to do when you grow up?” George asks.

 

“I want to serve in the Navy as an Environmental Protection Specialist, Sir.” Alena answers.

 

“Really...” George asks, “Why the Navy and as a civilian?”

 

“I grew up in Key West.” Alena says, “The Navy has sheltered me my entire life. I want to repay that kindness but... I have a medical condition that prevents me from doing actual combat, Sir.”

 

“Kindness, huh? A noble and interesting viewpoint.” George says, “Call me George.”

 

“Thank you, Sir. Sorry, George.” Alena says, relaxing her posture.

 

“Life’s funny.” George says, “I’m at the end of my career and you’re at the beginning of yours.”

 

“If you don’t mind me asking, what is your career?” Alena asks.

 

“I’m just a Brigadier General on his way to retirement.” George says with a laugh.

 

“Sir!” Alena suddenly says with shock.

 

“Hey, I said call me George.” George says, “You aren’t under my command.”

 

“Sorry.” Alena says, “George.”

 

“If you want to get far in the military...” George says, “No more earbuds on the job.”

 

“Absolutely!” Alena says as she tucks away her AirPods into her jumpsuit pant pocket.

 

“I've got to get going.” George says as he walks away, “It’s been a pleasure chatting with you.”

 

“Likewise.” Alena says as she waves, “Have a good day, George.”

 

A few minutes later, George is in his quarters. He had made and eaten a light breakfast of Earl Grey tea with toast then done the dishes. Now, George sits watching CNN.

 

“We can confirm that President Pond’s twin granddaughters have been rescued. Any minute now, the White House is set to do a joint press briefing with the FBI.” The news anchor says.

 

“Good news indeed.” George says nodding, “It’s already 0839. I gotta shower and get moving.” 

 

“I’ll just catch the Ruthless Report later.” George says as he switches to Frank Sinatra music.

 

George pulls out his freshly laundered green and khaki US Marine Corps Officer Service Uniform from the closet, laying it on the bed. He pulls out his shiny black corfam shoes with black over the calf socks and sets them down by the bed. Next, George strips off his sweaty morning workout outfit and heads to the bathroom. There, he examines himself in the bathroom mirror. Scars with untold histories dot his body. His chin is smooth but his head is awash in grey.

 

Black don’t crack.’ George reassures himself then steps into the shower.

 

A few minutes later…

 

“0910. I’m on schedule.” George says standing sharply in full uniform, “Just one more week.”

 

George faces a full body mirror as he adjusts the star on his shoulders. Then he straightens out the medals over his left breast pocket when suddenly, red lights flash and sirens blare.

 

ALERT! ALERT! SECURITY LOCKDOWN IS NOW IN EFFECT!

1