Chapter 34 – Freaky Payback?
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

September 6, 2017

9.11 am, Naval Air Station Key West, USA

 

ALERT! ALERT! SECURITY LOCKDOWN IS NOW IN EFFECT!

 

“Sam?” Fire asks.

 

“I will check.” CIA Director Nick Sam Jones says as he pulls out his iPhone.

 

Seconds go by as Director Jones checks his iPhone while the PA system repeats the message.

 

“Alarm triggered underneath the docks.” Jones reads off his iPhone, “Security system down. MPs investigating.”

 

Suddenly, mini booms echo from afar all around.

 

“Explosions.” Fire says, “I can sense multiple heat signatures all around.”

 

“We are under attack.” Dr. Kabeer Wong says.

 

“Who’d be dumb enough to attack an American military base on US soil?” Jones asks.

 

“Or crazy enough…” Fire adds, “This is textbook guerrilla assault.”

 

“Don’t jump to conclusions, Old Fire.” Jones cautions.

 

Jones’ iPhone goes off again. Jones checks the contents, his face becoming more serious.

 

“Body found. Multiple gunshots. They triggered the alarm.” Jones says reading from his iPhone.

 

“We’re under attack.” Fire says.

 

“But why?” Jones asks.

 

“What’s changed in the last few hours?” Fire replies with a question.

 

“The only that comes to mind is your team’s return.” Jones says, “But that’s too coincidental.”

 

“Hmm…” Dr. Wong says, “Where was the body found?”

 

“Underneath the northern docks.” Jones says in realization, “Hold on, that is close to Blazes.”

 

“The gray site?” Fire asks.

 

“Yeah. I was just there checking on the hard drives the team recovered.” Jones says.

 

“Hard drives?” Fire says in confusion.

 

“Yes. The team extracted two hard drives and documents from that facility.” Dr. Wong says.

 

“Which the doc all handed over to me.” Jones adds, “They’re currently sitting in Blazes. Unfortunately, the eggheads haven’t been able to crack them so I’m taking em back to Langley.”

 

“Skull Reich.” Fire says.

 

“Skull what?” Jones asks.

 

“The Mad Scientist who burned me alive said he founded a secret organization called Skull Reich.” Fire says, “Apparently, their symbol is a tattoo of a snake, nazi emblem, and a skull.”

 

“Hmm…” Director Jones says, “That sounds like the cult you busted way back.”

 

“That was their cover.” Fire confirms, “They orchestrated the abduction to get to me.”

 

“What?!” Director Jones asks in shock.

 

“According to the Mad Scientist, it was for revenge.” Fire adds, “And a precaution.”

 

“Hold up, why do you keep calling him Mad Scientist?” Jones asks, “And revenge for what?”

 

“He insisted that was his name.” Fire says, “Apparently, revenge for burning him alive except I don’t remember such a mission.”

 

“Alright. I’ve too many questions.” Director Jones says, “Let’s get back on topic.”

 

“Agreed. If this attack is from this Skull Reich…” Dr. Wong says, “They must truly be desperate.”

 

“Especially if they’ve maintained their secrecy for so long.” Director Jones ponders, “But what could be in those hard drives and documents that would be worth an attack on a US base?”

 

“What if the hard drives and documents contain data on what he used to gas us?” Fire says.

 

“A secretive organization would be desperate to protect its secrets...” Director Jones says, “I will get in touch with Blazes and order them to be vigilant.”

 

Jones dials a number on his iPhone. After seconds go by without answering, he tries another number yet still nothing. He tries a different number but this time, no signal.

 

“Shit!” Director Jones says, “No one was answering and I just lost cell signal.”

 

“They’re already under attack.” Fire surmises.

 

“I’ll take some security and head over there.” Director Jones says.

 

“I sense multiple fires…” Fire says, “They might have their hands full.”

 

“Then I’ve to head to the command center and marshal support.” Jones says, “Coming?”

 

“Better to go directly to the source.” Fire says.

 

“What?!” Director Jones asks, “You crazy-. I already lost you once today.”

 

“You are still recovering…” Dr. Wong suggests.

 

Fire gets up from the bed he’s been sitting on the entire time. He then proceeds to lift the bed straight up with his right arm.

 

“I feel...” Fire says as he lowers the bed, “Super.”

 

“That might be but you’re unarmed.” Director Jones says.

 

“Didn’t need a gun before.” Fire says, clapping his hands which suddenly erupts into flames.

 

“Don’t now.” Fire says as he turns off his flaming fists, “Just get back up to Blazes ASAP.”

 

“Alright.” Jones ascents, he knows better than to argue with Fire once he decides on an action.

 

“I will watch over the team.” Dr. Wong says, “Godspeed.”

 

“He called me a threat to his plans…” Fire says looking at his teammates, “Skull Reich will pay.”

 

Fire and Jones leave the room and jog to the elevator. Dr. Wong watches on.

 

“Rise.” Dr. Wong says with a smile.

1