Ch. 2.6 – The Commotion in the Middle Region
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I took a break longer than I thought. I decided to update one chapter daily (except on Sunday's). This chapter is filled with more profanities than usual, so read at your own discretion.

After a few hours, (currently, 1:32 am) Shinna and May woke up. We geared up and readied to go down.

 

"I hate to say it, but we can't let you be with us when we storm in the hideout of the humans, May."

Shinna firmly stroked May's hair.

"But I'm gonna be all alone here... Can't I come with you, Astralish-san?"

"I'm sorry, May. It's too dangerous. Can you defend this place while we are out? Coming back with a warm welcome might be nice."

I strapped my bag and crouched down to look at May eye to eye.

"I'll do my best! Please, come back soon." May tried to smile.

"Here, while we're out you can keep this. It's a memento of my Master."

Shinna placed a wooden bracelet to May's hand. Shinna carefully strapped it to May's left hand. Like a warrior offering a memento to his loved one.

May thanked and remained in the hideout.

...

We got down from the tree and I followed Shinna.

...

"I don't feel safe leaving May out there alone."

"Yeah, I could see from her facial expression; she's afraid... of the worst case."

We kept traversing the forest and head to the middle region.

"Do you think we can pull this off, Astralish?"

"I don't know. While earlier my confidence might have gotten the best of me. I will make sure to execute this plan successfully."

Every step we took hinted fear. I could vaguely see Shinna's face but I know she doesn't want to let May worry about us. I braced myself to do everything to help them.

Seeing Shinna cry and in her state earlier; I couldn't help but get envious, having a precious someone.

May who is currently away from her parents. How can she keep such a straight face? I can't understand; things like these.

...

After I was regarded as a human. I was transported to the Baullheart Kingdom. The previous Guild Master was kind enough to support me until I can manage on my own. Being mentored by different people; every day was a challenge. Until I can finally take on quests on my own.

'I guess my mentors and the previous Guild Master were somewhat precious to me.'

...

"I'm sorry for acting inappropriate earlier. I just missed my Master and knowing that maybe you would know where she was. I thought I found a glimmer of hope."

"It's fine. I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help. I accepted this quest without thinking that much."

We stopped and I glanced at the left side and an underground tunnel is hidden. Shinna pushed the cover and we used the tunnel to trespass the middle region.

"Come to think of it, if it's fine, why did you accept this quest you're in?"

Shinna chanted an orb of light: brighter, warmer; and it illuminated this dark pathway.

"The General of the army is currently fending off the forces of the Beastkin and I was saved by a Lieutenant Colonel of his army and basically, I was kind of indebted to him. That's why when they heard I am quite capable; they asked and I accepted."

"I see, I thought you know something about my Master."

Shinna frowned.

"I've been meaning to ask, is she connected to clearing the misunderstanding of the elves?"

"Well, it's very complicated but my Master — the Huntress — comes from the Royal lineage."

As if remembering something; Shinna's voice remained low.

"She is the fourth princess of the Royal Family. She didn't want to be tied up in the castle so she escaped. Her existence wasn't really known to the public so even if she escaped, the Royal Family didn't do anything. Like her presence didn't matter.

"She was always ambitious. My Master was very talented despite being locked up in the castle for 16 years; she still overpowered regular soldiers of our army even if she was never taught how to fight. Master decided to travel the world and experience many things. Throughout her journey, she later was known as the Legendary Huntress."

Shinna paused occasionally while telling the Huntress's life.

"After I completed my training with her she left and her whereabouts were unknown until — just a few weeks ago she was sighted quite near the Main Road. There were corpses of humans; soldiers from the Baullheart army, I think. The corpse's head were pierced down by arrows — it was always a headshot. Master doesn't miss any shots except against really powerful beings. Like, the Crownless Heroes."

'The Huntress was the one who killed the soldiers who relayed the news from Oaphyllis?'

I carefully collected my thoughts. Silence immediately weighed in and I didn't say any further.

 


 

The underground tunnel isn't that long after a few minutes of walking we were on the other side. We got out and head to a back alley.

 

"I will go and distract them now. I'll do my best to keep them away from the basement floor. I'll be there with you soon don't worry."

I looked at Shinna who is wearing a worried expression.

"Thank you, for helping me and May, Astralish."

"It's my decision anyways focus on our objective. We will rescue the elves and cause a commotion so that the elves guards will come. Then they will handle this problem."

Shinna paused for a second before nodding.

...

I hurriedly chant empowerments and carefully placed potions and other items where I can easily use them.

I slowly walked to the group of men lingering near the door of an old building. The neighboring buildings were also comprised of humans; softly glancing at my movements.

"Sir, I'm sorry but I got lost. Can you help me?"

"Hah, where did you come from?"

He was clearly wary of me.

"I was with my Master and I lost track of him. He's a merchant."

I tried making up a story to lessen the gazes from the other buildings.

"A merchant? I don't know your best bet would be to go back to the main plaza and talk to the guards."

"Well, the truth is I don't know my way back to the main plaza."

I scratched the back of my head.

"Can't you help me, Sir?"

"Haaah, whatever I'll show you the routes to take."

He walked closer to me annoyed. There were other people near the door of the building but they didn't mind me.

'I guess my story is working.'

"See, the routes you'll take to go back to the main plaza is to go straight and at the third block you go right, and just straight ahead there is the main plaza."

"Thanks, Sir!"

I extended out a hand to show appreciation.

"No problems, kid."

He gratefully accepted my hand.

"By the way, there's no main plaza in the middle region, kid."

"Oh really, I didn't know that there was no main plaza, hahaha."

I laughed.

"Haha, you're funny. The route I just told you leads to an auction hall. Your master is a merchant so surely he is there. There's a big event going on."

"Oh yeah, an auction hall, haha. I wonder if there's something interesting being auctioned?

"An elf perhaps..."

I softly mutter enough that he can hear it.

I looked at the big bulky man in front of me. He resembles an adventurer, perhaps he was in the past.

"Kid, there's no auction hall in the middle region. And there is a main plaza where I just told you. Tell me, what are you doing here?"

"Stop calling me kid," I remarked in a soft glaring voice. "Hahaha, I was just lost that's all. In truth, this is my first time in the middle region on my own. I'm sorry to waste your time."

I slowly looked back and walked slowly.

"Wait, if you're truly lost let me help you, kid."

"Ohh, I see you're kind enough to help me."

We both stare at each other nonchalantly for a mere second.

...!

My fist was the first one to hit. I uppercut his chin; spiraling upwards he immediately loses consciousness.

He was hiding a pocket knife. I realized that he was suspicious at the start. Witnessing a split second attack his comrades near the door immediately grabbed their swords.

I threw out a knife with an inscribed explosive spell. It hit the ground causing the comrades of the big bulky man to suddenly stop and avoided a hit.

...

It was a signal.

Many people; humans suddenly walked out of the neighboring buildings with swords, axes, spears, and some were mages.

I charged at the three humans guarding the front door of the building. They were clearly wary — no they might be afraid — I'm guessing they were just new to this job and the one I rendered unconscious was the strongest one out of the four of them.

I smirked and grabbed a small sword hidden behind my back1 The small sword is like a Wakizashi. It's like a small katana.. I used the back of the sword to parry their obvious swings of the sword. I didn't want to kill them. They let out a war cry.

The people; humans from the other buildings is charging at me. I took one of the swords they had (the new recruits) and used both the short sword and their sword to fend them off.

...

They were clearly much tougher and experienced than the three earlier. I was well-experienced with the short sword and the long sword. Dual-wielding wasn't hard. Every time I clashed with their weapons I slowly get the hang of it.

...

After a few minutes, I was somehow holding on my own. They clearly are stronger than the three earlier but they fight in an obvious pattern. It didn't take me long enough to break off their pattern and reduced their numbers.

"Who are you? Why are you doing this?"

Question after questions, I didn't mind it and simply fend them off.

...

There were only a few of them; mostly mages. Considering that the effects of the Paria bottle is slowly wearing off, I need to finish things quickly and wait for Shinna's signal.

...

"Good job hanging in there, mutts."

A voice stopped their attack they quickly looked back and so did I.

It was an elf wearing a silk outfit and high-grade equipment.

"Koukei..."

I softly muttered.

It seems they called someone.

He was with the man who is wearing a silk outfit. I think that he's either nobility or someone in the army — a strong one that is. I hope it wasn't the latter.

"Hey, are you the one responsible for this commotion?" The man asked me.

I looked at Koukei who was surprised as I am.

"Oi, answer me you brat."

The silk guy shot glares at me.

I retracted my glance at him. He's pissed. I averted my gaze away.

"Don't you ignore me you brat!"

....! A small tremor came from the underground. It was the signal from Shinna.

"What the hell's happening?" The silk guy shouted in frustration.

I hesitantly stared at Koukei. I should talk to him first...

"KYAAAH...!"

A screeching voice silenced my thoughts. It was Shinna!

'Shinna's in danger!'

I quickly charged inside the building where the basement was. The people inside were alerted and tried to stop me. I used more brute strength than earlier to swiftly knock them out.

I hurriedly go to the basement. The basement was kind of  large. I could hear a sound from the right pathway. I followed the sound with each step filled with worry and I saw Shinna.

...

Her head was bleeding; she was clearly slammed against the hard cold barricade steels used to lock the elves. I lunged at the man near her.

I slashed diagonally but he instantly blocked it with his dagger.

"Who the fuck are you? I was just about to kill her." He gave a side glance at Shinna.

I forcefully pushed his dagger upwards and the tip of my long sword narrowly cut his face.

"Gaaah...! You sick fuck! You cut my face!"

I punched his face throwing him to the corner of the wall.

"Shinna, we need to get out of here now!" I looked at her. She was unconscious.

...

"What heck is happening here?"

The silk guy and Koukei arrived.

"That fucker cut my face! Why are you with that trash?"

I directed an intense glare at his face; making him shut his mouth.

"Are you accompanied with this elf?" The silk guy asked.

"Do you know that your fellow race is being used for auction? Being used as slaves?"

"Yeah, I know."

I gritted my teeth. I slowly walked near Shinna without taking my eyes off the three of them.

"Do you know what is happening here, Koukei?"

I looked at him. He wasn't shocked seeing this kind of situation.

"Why are you with that elf?" The silky guy once again asked.

I didn't mind him. I was waiting for Koukei's response.

"Yes, I do, Astral."

I clicked my tongue.

"Don't you dare call me that." A low cold voice resounded the basement.

"Do you honestly think you can escape here? You'll die with that trash!"

As if gathering all his courage the man I just punched remarked.

As if mimicking, Maschenny; I let out a piercing glare.

I flung out my short sword towards the silk guy.

"Hahaha, you really think that will hit me?"

I carried Shinna and used my now free left hand to draw her close to me; hugging her on my left side.

"Astral we have matters to attend to. Leave that elf."

Koukei looked at me. His face... It's a face that I don't know of.

...

'Have I just been fooled by him? By the General?'

...

"I quit the mission."

"You quit? And then what? Escape out of here? You know you can't do that especially carrying someone. It's way too early fighting against us, Astral."

"Like, I care." I looked at him. My face wasn't filled with betrayal nor hatred. A blank expression is more fitting, to say the least.

I finished organizing my thoughts to getting out of this place. I think it's fine. As if relieving loads of restraints, I coldly sigh.

'There's no other choice. I have to kill one of these three.'

I looked at the guy who hurt Shinna earlier.

"You, you're not needed anymore."

 

0