Ch. 2.7 – We’re All Dancing in The Palm of The Inevitable
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I activated the hidden explosive spell on the small sword and a smokescreen; causing Koukei and the silk guy to divert their attention from me.

I swiftly slashed my long sword diagonally directed at the other man. He managed to dodge but my sword managed to wound him on his right leg. Like a surge of wind, the silk guy pounced on me; clenching his fist. I retraced my steps and sway my left part of the body; in a crescent angle. Keeping Shinna away from getting hurt.

I chanted ablaze to my sword; so that the silk guy would not attempt to throw another fist at me.

"Hehe, you're quite skilled. But I'm still only using a raw portion of my power."

The silk guy looked as if he could end this fight in a second.

I advanced in a fencing position1en garde; keeping Shinna away from the front. I lunged directly to the silk guy using the length of the sword to my advantage. I simultaneously chanted 3 Fireballs directed at his small openings.

"That's a sneaky trick you have, brat."

I added a small adjustment to the 3 Fireballs; I can control to make them explode even if they don't hit the opponent. I forcefully lunged again, this time maximizing the magic output I can use to further enhance, ablaze. I throw it to him also sneaking a Fireball; equivalent to 3 small Fireballs. Right before he dodges; I controlled the Fireball to explode. Buying a few seconds.

I took out the knife placed on my belt. I looked at the man who hurt Shinna. Clearly he knew; I was about to kill him.

Out of all the weapons I can use; I am most skilled with a knife. I drew closer to him. Circled at his back and slit his throat...

"Gaaah...! You can't do this to me...! I am the son of the Grand Duke of Baullheart Kingdom! I'll make sure you"—

I reacted at the word, "Grand Duke". I don't feel guilty about killing him now.

I kicked him straight to the stairs.

"You really think killing the son of the Grand Duke is a good idea, Astral?"

It was Koukei. He caught the half-dead man and slip a potion; possibly something that can save that man's life.

"What're you doing? He's the son of that bastard who created this mess. There's no need to let him alive."

I didn't care anymore about the man's life. I clearly chained my conscience.

"Why are you helping that elf? If you leave her now and continue the mission none of this thing would get out in public."

"Kill Him! Kill that bast"—

"Shut up. Just lie down there if you want to live."

Koukei glared at the half-dead man.

"What do you say, Astral?"

"Stop calling me that. I will continue the mission."

"Finally, you've gone back to your senses!"

"But I'll do it my own way, Koukei."

I gripped the hold of the knife tightly. Out of everyone in this room; he's clearly the strongest one. I knew I can't defeat him as I am now. The effects of the Paria bottle already wore off. I'm on my own now.

Sweat rolled down from my temple. I can't think of any way to get out of this place.

"A-astralish..."

I slowly looked at my left side. It was Shinna she's conscious. I was about to look at her directly and then she stopped me.

"D-don't look, they'll no-notice. I have a p-plan to g-get out of here. Believe in... me..."

Her voice remained low but her tone seemed really weird. I think she's trying to stay conscious. I listened to Shinna and followed her directions. I looked at Koukei who seemed as if he can always stop me from fighting back any second. He didn't realize Shinna was awake.

I slowly moved to the right corner of the room near Shinna's recurve bow.

"Astral, it seems pointless to talk you out of it. So I'll just forcefully beat you through it."

Koukei finally moved and walked at me. 'He's not even wary I'll do something he'll not expect, tsk.'

"Now."

Shinna chanted out a bright orb blinding the whole room. She ran to get her recurve bow and chanted a spell to buff me.

I readied myself as I charged at Koukei. Holding the knife tightly; I slashed horizontally aiming at his head.

He dodged it.

"Do you think just because you blinded me for a second you'll have a chance of killing me? You seem to have forgotten, Astral. I thought you how to fight with knives!"

He stepped back and tried to grab my left hand. I tried to slash his exposed left hand.

He easily swayed his left hand away and grabbed the left joint of my shoulder. Crushing it.

"Gaaah...!"

Koukei immediately pushed me down and used his right arm to break off my wrist. The knife fell down.

"You've gotten quite good at using the knife, but way too early to contest against me, Astral."

"Astral...!"

Shinna screamed out. The silk guy didn't even suffer any damage from my attack earlier. He pounced to Shinna cornering her against the wall.

Shinna flawlessly dodge. She has insane agility. Shinna instantly shoved her hands to the silk's guy pressure points. He was stunned.

"What are you doing, Shinna? Letting the elves go? You will be punished by the Royal Army!. And your Master will not save you!"

"What do you mean about my Master?"

"You don't know a thing, do you? The Elves that were locked here were used to make a deal!"

"A deal?"

"Yes! The Grand Duke of the Baullheart Kingdom issued a deal that he will let the Royal Army of the Oaphyllis conquer their kingdom if he got what he asked for."

"What's he talking about, Koukei! Answer me!"

I tried to suppress the pain of my dislocated shoulder and wrist.

"The Grand Duke likes elves. He wants them as his slaves. By agreeing to the deal he will force the army of the Baullheart Kingdom to fend off the Beastkins and leaving the Baullheart Kingdom unattended by any forces of the army."

"What the hell? I thought you don't want another war, Koukei!"

"It's true I don't want another war. But fighting against the Royal Army while our forces are split up against the Beastkins? Besides even if we manage to defend. It won't matter."

I glared at Koukei in confusion.

"The Crownless Heroes are the ones who wanted to conquer, Baullheart Kingdom. They used the Royals of Oaphyllis as a distraction so that the General wouldn't know.

"The monster raids happening on the outskirts of the Baullheart Kingdom? Those were all part of this plan. Even getting you involved to accept this mission, Astral. We're all dancing in the footsteps of the Maiden."

That name... I tried to remember the events. All of the things that happened up until now was to make me accept this mission?

"I don't understand... W-why am I needed to be part of this?

"I don't know, Astral.

"Anyway, now that you know the truth it's time to get rid of you."

I stared at the space. I couldn't believe everything that has happened. I don't know what to do anymore.

'I'll just accept that this is the end...'

.

.

.

.

"ASTRALISH...!"

...!

"We need to go now...!"

Shinna was fending off the elf. She looks exhausted. 'Why are you still fighting...?'

"May, is waiting for us...!"

.

.

'May...? ... May...!'

As if finding the meaning of life; I gained the willpower to stand up and pick the knife once again.

"You still want to fight, Astral?

"Fine, I'll show you how to really fight...!"

Koukei charged at me.

I flung out the knife aiming at his forehead. He quickly evaded it. I then pulled out the string back to me and reel it again to Koukei.

He caught the knife and detach it to the string. I leaped and charged to grab the sword I threw out at the silk guy earlier.

"Ablaze!"

"Hahaha, stop struggling, Astral!"

Koukei and I clashed using the knife and the sword.

"I have to get out of here! Someone's waiting for me!"

I forcefully tried to overpower him. The knife is starting to crack and before it could. Shinna shot out an arrow to Koukei. Making him stepped back a few metres away from me.

Shinna and I started running to the outside of the room

"Thanks for helping me snap out of it, Shinna."

I genuinely smiled at her. She seemed a bit flustered.

"D-don't worry about it."

"You won't escape!"

The silk guy caught up to us.

"You shouldn't follow us. Here, take this idiot with you."

We were near the door and the son of the idiot duke was unconscious; probably sleeping to let the potion Koukei earlier give to work out. I quickly grabbed him and throw him at the silk guy.

"Aaah...!"

"Shoot out an arrow, Shinna."

She was confused in a second but she just went along with it.

I cast an explosive spell to the arrow and when it's near the ground I controlled it to forcefully blow up. It was enough to let Shinna and I get out of the room.

"Follow me, Astral. We can use the passage I took to get in here so we can get out without them noticing."

"Astral?"

"U-ummm... Astralish, I-i m-mean...!"

"Hahaha, you can call me, Astral. I'm fine if it's you, Shinna."

She didn't respond. I looked at her and her face was blooming red. Is she blushing?

"If you say so... Astral."

As if she was trying to not cry from embarrassment; she replied in a cute low tone.

"Anyway! We should hurry, May must be worried about us."

In an attempt to hide her face she said.

...

'She looks cute when she's blushing...'

 


 

"Why did you not stop them, Koukei?" The silk guy annoying asked.

"You might not know but Astral used a magic string attached to his knife. While that elf girl shot an arrow at me; Astral used the magic string as a bind spell to keep me from moving."

"You could've easily got out of the bind."

"I can't get out of the bind."

"So you mean he overpowered you in magic? But you're the Greatest Sorcerer in the History of Humans!"

"I guess, I may have underestimated him. Or he's slowly getting stronger."

Koukei seemed amused as Astralish competed with him in terms of magic control.

"Anyway, now that they're gone. We should get some new elves to locked up in here. We will move on with the plan when the Crownless Heroes contact us."

"What're we gonna do about this guy?"

The son of the Grand Duke was unconscious laying on the ground.

"We'll use him as a puppet so that we can contact the Grand Duke. After all, our original plan is to completely wipe out the people of the Baullheart Kingdom."

'It's nice to see you've made a comrade, Astralish. I guess you're fine now on your own.'

...

 


 

We got out of the basement using another route and we finally got out of the secret underground passage connected to the Middle Region.

"Haughh... haughh..."

Shinna stopped and gasp for breath.

"Shinna, are you okay? We've gone out of the Middle Region so you should rest now. You still haven't recovered from the wound in your head." 

I took a potion from my bag and gave it to her.

"We shouldn't let May wait any longer we must"—

Shinna fell down to her knees.

"Don't worry, I'll carry you to my back so rest okay?"

Shinna finally gave in and closed her eyes. 

I looked at her and tried to wipe the tears on her eyes. She slowly called out.

"Master..."

I drank the remaining potion and I carried her onto my back. Surprisingly, she's quite light.

I used my remaining stamina to get back from the hideout.

'I still don't understand why Koukei would agree to this.'

Back then, Koukei was one of my mentors and he taught the basics of close quarter combat and how to properly use a knife. He didn't make that face back then. I couldn't understand what happened when he left the Baullheart Kingdom to become a merchant.

...

An hour has passed and I finally saw the cluster of trees near the hideout. I looked at the switch that flung out a rope. I took Shinna from my back and slowly embraced her in my arms. That way, I can carry her with the rope. I pulled the rope and the mechanism started working; the rope slowly ascends.

I couldn't help but look at Shinna's face.

"She looks so innocent when she's asleep. You've done well today, Shinna. I'm glad you were there with me."

I softly muttered.

The rope stopped and I step from the foothold and we were greeted with a warm welcome.

"Astralish-san and Shinna- san! I'm glad you're alright!"

It was May who wore a cheerful smile.

"Were you lonely, May?"

Shinna woke up and slowly escaped from my embrace. She was slightly blushing.

"A little bit! I made some food you should eat it Shinna-san!"

May happily walked inside.

"Shinna."

"Hmm...?"

I called to her.

"T-thank you for believing in me earlier that we can let the elves escape."

"Mmm, don't worry about it, Astral! I believed you"

She replied with a smile. That made me blushed a bit.

"Shinna-san, the food is getting cold!"

"I'll be there!" Shinna walked in the hideout.

I looked at her back and I find myself smiling.

"You too Astralish-san!"

"Yeah, I'm coming."

I walked inside and shared a meal with the two of them.

...

'Even if many things happened today, I'm happy I got to protect their smiles today.'

...

 

0