[Chapter 2] The Poor Development Duo
650 4 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This isn't the first time my luck has affected the character creation screen, but it's usually a hidden class or something. Even that only applies to games with beginning multi-class systems. Perhaps a special skill after the creation screen, but in it? Seriously?

But not only that, a unique skill? 

Seriously?! What do you mean by giving a unique skill in the character creation screen huh?!

I might seem like I'm freaking out for no reason, but there actually is a reason for my outburst. You see, out of the limited info the public has of this game, it's said that Unique Skills are incredibly rare and usually link to only one person. It isn't the so-called 'Unique' but not that unique skills sometimes appearing in other media.

So basically, giving it away right away is insane. Especially if I get to choose it.

Alright, it's okay! I can make use of this to my advantage, I'll make sure it's going to go alright! Best case scenario I don't get it! Worst case scenario, I have a plan!

I psyche myself up to the best of my ability. (There aren't imaginary tears streaming down my face, really)

I take a deep breath, staring eye-to-eye at the 'Begin' staring at me.

"Yes," I say, though I feel like I've been saying 'Yes' a lot...

 
[Answer the Following Questions]

[One]

It's a gift to one, a curse to another. 

All living things contain it, but many are ruined by it.

What am I?

[Two]

There is something that happens to everything.

Some consider it an event to celebrate, while others consider it an occasion to mourn.

What am I?

[Three]

What is your purpose in playing Serithic World?

Hey, hey-

Isn't the only normal question the third one??

"Ah, whatever, let's just answer it," I couldn't help but mutter to myself as the keyboard blinks to life.


 

SW Skills Development Branch

"Eh, what's this!" A woman garbed in a slightly formal suit exclaimed abruptly.

Her eyes repeatedly blinked, gobstruck at what she saw on the screen.

"What the-" Their colleague, a male this time, snapped his head in surprise. "For goodness sakes what are you doing at a time like this?"

As if struck out of fervor, the other just pointed at the display, and the man, slightly ticked, got up from his seat and stomped over to the woman's side, just waiting to see what in the world she was up to. 

Speaking with a sharp aura of annoyance, he uttered, "I swear if this is something stupid I'll get th-" but the rest of his words were unable to come out.

They slowly looked at each other as both their brains spun to the maximum degree to process this information.

"We're dead," she whispered.

"We're definitely dead."

"Do you uh, wanna get the boss?"

"What! No way."

"Oh come on, I don't want to do it!"

"Neither do I! You saw it first you're going."

"You're the one who wanted to add it though!"

"It's not my fault that you allowed it!"

"Well, it's not my fault that you forgot to disconnect it before we went live!"

The colleagues rapidly exchanged words as they argued on who was to report this to the boss.

As for the problem? 

Well, the interface for unique skills wasn't meant to happen after all.

If it did happen that would simply be foolish and no one in their right mind could ever allow such a thing. 

Oh, wait.

Anyways, back to the duo, their words got louder and louder attracting the others in the development group and, finally, someone went to call the boss.

She wasn't too happy, to say the least.

"I understand that this is an extremely large project, but how did some, incredibly, smart people decide to implement this without a care in the world and think it was a good idea?"

The team all lowered their heads, who knows how that player got it! It wasn't their fault really!

They pointed their gazes instead to the culprits.

Nervous under the stares, the woman finally caved and started speaking, "W-well, I rechecked and I can barely believe it myself!" she continued, "The odds to get the interface in the first place was 0.01%, and the odds to put in answers that the AI agreed with was even lower!"

Hearing them admit some, quite frankly, alarming information, the team looked at their enraged boss and decided to disperse back to their positions.

The Boss in question pinched her nose in an attempt to calm down before speaking, "Do tell me only one person got this option before you caught it?"

This time, the man spoke in a quiet tone, "Y-yes of course, it's just that we never expected this to happen, we only added it to see how the AI would develop the questions and construct answers..." 

The woman spoke in an even quieter one, "A-and, we did plan to take it out...it just slipped in..."

The Boss scrunched her face in vexation before pointing at the two squarely. "Continue as planned, you two will be responsible for this. Make sure that player says nothing about getting this option. Consider yourselves lucky that you aren't fired."

She glared at the two, "Understood?"

""Yes Ma'am!""

Quickly, the pitiful duo slunk away to lick their wounds.

Feeling drained out, the two of them laid in their seats slumped over.

"Oh...yeah...how long has it been since we intercepted?" The man muttered.

"Let me see...it's already been...seven minutes?!"

They both shot up and exchanged a glance at each other. Both of their eyes were widened and mouth agape.

Jumping out of the seats, they rushed to their stations and activated a familiar capsule.

They immediately entered and pressed a sequence of commands on a keypad.

Let's go back to our favorite protagonist now!


 

What's up with this...

To sum it up, I'm stuck in Character Creation.

For the last few minutes, after getting a screen that said I was selected for a unique skill, I've just been waiting.

Speaking out in thin air, trying to bring out a screen, even walking around this spaceless plane, I tried everything to continue!

I'm exasperated, don't I usually have good luck? Well, it's probably just my eagerness to enter this game that's making this feel long? Well, who wouldn't?

'Shiiiiiiing' 

A noise? 

I watch as two fog-like substances appear. That's alright, kind of, but what's concerning is what this notification is saying.

[Staff Logging In, Please Stand-By]

Staff? As in people?

PEOPLE?

22