[Chapter 6] Horned Rabbit Hunting
496 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Haaaaaaahhhhh...

Well, it's time to actually do this quest. It isn't as if I can stay bothered for so long, let's get my mind off things!

In the first place, I crouched here for only a bit and a rabbit appeared. 

[Horned Rabbit LV 5]

Alright, it has a pretty high level, but I'm sure I can take it on! The [Slash] skill I have is a passive one that increases the damage I do with a sword weapon. Disregarding the fact I can sneak attack it, if I take care to avoid being hit by its horn, I should be able to take it down without damaging myself.

Thinking like that, I grip my sword tightly with my hands, waiting for the rabbit to get closer before I attack.

While waiting, I can't help but notice the details of the rabbit. It has a brown coat, and its floppy ears are perked up. The thing that sets it apart from the common critters we see normally, however, is its sharp horn that points outward, resembling a unicorn's horn. Actually, I wonder if there are unicorns in this game?

Ah! Jolting out of that thought, the horned rabbit suddenly twists away from me, leaving its back wide open. It's time to strike!

With a jump, I close in on its blind spot and slash forward.

I got it!

Or so I thought.

I incorrectly aimed my sword near the base of its head and managed to attack the root of its horn, allowing the rabbit a chance to back up and dash away from the range of my sword.

Just when I thought it was going to run away, it swiveled around to face me and then charges!

Reflexively, I raise my sword to meet it. 'Crack-'

The horn pierces straight through it!

Hurriedly, I shift away to avoid the incoming horn, tossing the sword in my grasp.

Hand-to-hand combat isn't my forte!

Thinking such a thought at this time, I prepare myself for another horn attack before I see an unexpected scene.

Someone, anyone, explain to me why the sword is stuck on the rabbit's horn???


 

Ahem, after an arduous battle and retrieving my sword (with a hole...), I sit next to a corpse of a rabbit.

I know now, in my haste to get out of the market, I forgot a vital part of starting a new game. That is...buying equipment!

The proper course of events in the beginner quest is probably something like this:

[Speak to NPC]
[Choice 1 - Enter Guild with a Fee] [Choice 2 - Acquire a Recommendation for the Guild]

[Proper Course of Events]

Pay the Fee

Take a Test

Acquire a Better Weapon with Passing of the Test

[Proper Course of Events]

Use the Leftover Money to Buy Better Gear

Complete Request

Enter Adventurer's Guild without the Fee or Test

Something like that should be the proper way it'd play out, give or take.

But for someone like me who skipped a step, I wonder if it's better or worse...

However, thinking of whether it's a mistake or not is useless at this time. Right now, I have other matters to care about more thoroughly.

Assessing my situation, my sword has roughly a third of its durability left, better than I thought. I've already regained all of my stamina so that doesn't matter. The problem lies here. Have you noticed? I'm sitting next to a corpse.

Normally, video games will give you drops or even inexplicable experience orbs. But right now, all I have is a corpse.

Turning my head over, I look at a particularly battered rabbit, its head caved in, though, it looks more comically gruesome than anything. Does that make any sense? Well, anyway, I think the developers accounted for the fact that children would play and adjusted some aspects accordingly.

Speaking of, the rabbit was really disoriented with its horn embedded into a sword. I resorted to grabbing stones and randomly throwing them near its head. I ended up gaining the [Throw] skill at level one. Then, I leveled up to level two in one fell swoop. I also got two assignable stat points.

Mmm, what to do...

I already tried putting it in my inventory, but all I got was [Horned Rabbit Corpse x1], so I'm a bit unsure on how to get the horn and pelt.

But, I can't say I don't have a general idea.

Hey game, do you expect us to do the skinning ourselves?! Truly!?

"Urgh...I wonder if I'll ever have to use this type of skill in real life..." Mumbling to myself, I lift the slightly sharpened stone I made as I was sitting.

I'll leave the general details out, but I managed to pry out the horn and cut off the pelt. Unfortunately, I didn't get a [Skinning] skill, but I did get some other gains.

[Inventory]

[Horned Rabbit Pelt x1]

[Horned Rabbit Horn x1]

[Skinned Horned Rabbit Corpse x1]

[Lucky Horned Rabbit Foot x1]

A lot of it is normal right? But look, look right there! [Lucky Horned Rabbit Foot]?! What even is that, huh?!

[Lucky Horned Rabbit Foot]

[Rare] 

[Special Effect: ???]

[Description]

A foot of a Horned Rabbit.

It gives an odd feeling and seems to emit a mysterious aura.

[Method of Acquirement: ???]

"...This has practically no information, okay!?"

I can't help but finally scream out loud. Hearing my own voice reverberating into my ear, a sudden flash of heat reaches my face as I hurriedly look around me.

...

Phew...there wasn't anyone. That would have been extremely embarrassing.

Ah, but, just looking at this item, I feel like I'm reaching some sort of limit.

Come on come on! Lift your spirits! I'll just have to get this appraised somehow and sell it or something. Just consider it inevitable that I'm like this, haha...

Shaking my head, I re-equip my sword and pocket the stone I used to skin the rabbit as well.

Since I already skipped a step of buying better equipment, I might as well keep going. With the battle with the dearly missed horned rabbit, I've got a better feeling on how to play this game!

In real life, I've always had a rather weak body, but here, I can take the chance to grow stronger and stronger.

Unlike reality, I can do what I want in games. That's why I play them in the first place. I can do what I can't do and behave how I please.

Well, lately I've been running away without wanting to though. It can't be helped, I'll just have to get used to it first. But, I can't help but wonder if I'll really get used to it.

...

Whatever, I'll guess I'll just have to see. Let's keep hunting!


I haven't been able to write as much as I want to these past two weeks QWQ
Apologies for that! Orz
I'll try to post 3 or 4 chapters the next week if real life doesn't get in the way!

Lastly, I want to thank everyone for reading along! I hope you'll continue to watch Kai and see her growth!

20