[Chapter 7] A Stellar Recommendation
460 3 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After roughly an hour passed, I finally managed to hunt down five horned rabbits.

It should have taken shorter, really, the reason it took an hour was a rather unfortunate thing. My sword's durability died from the second rabbit is all!

However, you might think, how did you kill the rest then? Or perhaps, you'd have already recalled a certain skill I acquired. Yes, I used the more cost-effective attack skill in the game (probably) to take down the rabbits. The [Throw] skill!

Except, the downside of using [Throw] is quickly seen. After all, using a skill levels it up. Therefore...my [Throw] skill is now the same level as my [Slash] skill! Can I call myself a [Warrior] at this rate???

A-anyway, at least I managed to get up to level three after the slaughter. But, even though I killed them all, I haven't skinned them yet.

Why?

Well, to be honest, I don't really want to. Not because it's gross or anything, but because I don't want any weird items to arise when I do skin it.

Ergh...it's not like I can waste any more time though...it should be fine, plus, these rabbits were lower level than the first! With that naive thought in my mind, I began skinning the rabbits.

The results?

[Horned Rabbit Pelt x4] [Horned Rabbit Horn x4]
[Skinned Horned Rabbit Corpse x4] [Lucky Horned Rabbit Foot x4]

It said the rarity of the foot was rare, right? Rare, right?! 

Hehe…I should have just waited and asked for someone in town.

At least, I actually did get the [Skinning] skill, even if it's level one at the moment. I'm guessing the prerequisite was to skin something perfectly as I only got it from the last rabbit I skinned.

Also, I did gain something from the four feet, though, it's something that makes me doubt my skinning skills. What may it be? The [Method of Acquirement] it is!

[Method of Acquirement: Slice Off the Specific Position on the Foot of a Horned Rabbit]

Well, even if I say I gained something, this isn't much of a plus. After all, I got a notification saying the [Method of Acquirement] can still be expanded. Say, game, I actually do want to know how, so I can avoid it!

I can't do much even if I say these things though. 

My musings sometimes (all the time) make me lament my situation, but what can I do?

I suppose continuing to complete this quest is a good idea. So, with that in mind, I pick up the pace and escape from the forest! Though, there wasn't anything chasing me.


 

"Well, if it isn't little lass Elegiac, did ya complete the task I gave ya?" Hibaien greets me as I walk towards his stall.

Despite what you may have thought, I did give my name before I left the place. I did tell him that so he'd stop calling me little (I'm average height, okay?) but it doesn't seem to have worked, and I couldn't bring myself to ask him to stop. It's because I know he doesn't mean any harm by it that I'm not stopping him, it's not that I'm a coward!

"Hi, Hibaien! I completed it, but I got some extra stuff as well. Can you examine them for me?" I already planned what to say in advance, haha! I thought about this beforehand, who else would know what in the world this foot is except for a butcher! Probably the guild, but I don't have that yet.

Anyway, as I spoke, I bring out the haul I got from those rabbits. However, I only brought out one lucky foot for obvious reasons.

"Well, let's look and see here..." Hibaien has a curious light in his eyes as he brings the items closer to him before letting out a surprised 'ah' when he got to the foot. "Little lass, ya've outdone my expectations! Not only bringin' in some extra items but a Fortune Foot!"

Huh? What does that mean? My curiosity growing out of control, I can't help but ask immediately, "What's a Fortune Foot, Hibaien?"

According to the description, it's only called [Lucky Horned Rabbit Foot], which is an uncreative name if I ever heard one. Speaking of which, I've heard a bunch lately.

"Haha, it’s a nickname we give it around these parts. Shorter to say than that other name!” He jokingly explains to me before continuing, “But to get to the point little lass, this foot’s said to allow somethin’ fortunate to happen. Some say it saved their life while others say it got them two yolks from an egg.”

Hehhh? Game devs what kind of item is this? But before I could muse more of my grievances in my head, Hibaien’s words interrupted me.

“That aside, it only works when it wants to work and then doesn’t work afterwards. Even like that, a lot of people wanna get their hands on it. Say, little lass Elegiac, would you mind selling this to me? I promise on my name that I’ll get ya a good deal!”

As he spoke, I had an epiphany on how this item works, however, the selling of it is pretty much a godsend.

“Sure!” I agreed without much thought. Anyway, even if he does scam me, I have four more.

A few transactions later, and I’m two thousand gold richer! I’ll have to check out a blacksmith or something to see the prices, but two thousand gold seems like a lot. 

Other than that, Hibaien said he was impressed with my abilities and would make sure to give me the best recommendation he could.

This did give me a +10 in [Reputation], however, I wonder if his recommendation made things easier or tougher for me in this game?

This might seem odd. Obviously, more reputation will make things easier, right?

Well, this thought isn’t due to my reputation, but rather the recommendation itself.

The moment I found the guild and told the receptionist that I had a recommendation, a surly face interrupted.

“What? A pipsqueak like you could get the best recommendation from Chopper? Hah! That old man’s eyesight is getting worse!”

Giving that foot to Hibaien and getting that recommendation was just me digging my own grave, wasn’t it!

Oi! Game! I don’t want this flag!

Ah, but, this dude really annoys me. I dislike such people.

I know I shouldn’t get riled by an NPC of all things, and yet…

…Haaaah…I regret, truly, that I’m going to get myself involved with a person who insulted the first NPC I met.

15