[Chapter 10] Jack of All Trades
422 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Let's see, there's a lot of subforums created now. Before the game launch, it just had discussion boards for game lore and other stuff.

The mods are working hard, huh?

It does make navigation much easier, just by scrolling through a little I can already see a [Beginner's Guide to Warrior] tutorial made by someone. One might question how someone made a guide so fast, but it's likely due to the fact that it's more like a number of compiled tips than a guide at the moment.

Let's see, [Warriors] have the highest constitution out of all the classes, so focus on attacking instead of defending at the beginning? Eh, wait, hm? If you get a quest related to hunting monsters, don't worry about being hit as long as it isn't level six or higher...to get around your sword from being damaged and needing to buy a new one, let the rabbit smash its horn against a tree, and then kill it...This will allow you to level up your [Slash] skill.

...Give me a moment, I feel embarrassed.

W-why did I resort to throwing?! The average level of other warriors' [Slash] skill should be roughly five, and here I am with a level three in [Throw]!

Fine, fine, it's all fine. I'm sure that some other players needed to rebuy weapons. But, me? I got it through without doing that, so it's fine.

Ahem, anyway, let's continue reading.

Let's see, a lot of warnings on going full [Strength], it seems like if you neglect [Dextrity], you'll not be able to kill the faster moving monsters. I guess focussing on those two stats will be fine as long as I avoid getting damaged. There are also a lot of crazy builds people are already trying out. Full [Constitution]? Only crazy people do crazy builds, 

See! Getting [Throw] wasn't bad, alright?

With this forced reassurance for myself, I continue my event-filled search through the forums. 

I happen across a post about the [Lucky Horned Rabbit Foot], it details the money they got (It was roughly the same as what I got), and how they got it in the first place; they were a [Warrior] who happened to cut it off and pick it up. How lucky of them! This isn't a sarcastic comment, I swear.

Ignoring that, there's a substantial lack of skinning comments. I thought there'd be a bunch of curses flooding the game for its difficulty or something. (Speaking of which, I should check the news tomorrow to see what they came up with.)

However curious I was, I stumble across a post that mostly explained how I deviated.

Yes, indeed, there was an area where you could ask someone to skin the rabbits for you! Of course, it seems that sometimes skinning them wasn't necessary. Such a thing would occur if you were requested by someone who knew how to skin.

Oh yeah, there's a bunch of variations of this first quest, I've seen a couple of posts about it, but the funniest might be the one where someone requested the player to stop the infestation of moles. As you might expect, they tried the whack-a-mole strategy and ended up ruining the foundation of that place and falling into the mole lair. The end of the post ruefully stated to not play whack-a-mole with the moles.

They even bought a hammer just to try it but lost it and their life. This is quite a mean game.

I hear a car pulling in. Ah, parents are back.

Like any other well-respecting child, I turn off the computer and rush off into bed! Scrambling as quietly as I can, I pull the blankets over my head as the keys turn open the main doors. I wait with the footsteps approaching the door. Then, they stop.

A very shallow creaking noise emits as a small amount of light pours in before, like it never happened, the light disappears.

How lucky of me, they didn't check the heat of the computer!


 

Allocate stat points there. Some more here. Voila.

[Stats]
[Strength]         21 (+6)
[Dexterity]         17 (+4)
[Constitution] 15
[Intelligence] 10
[Wisdom] 10
[Charisma] 10
[Stat Points Available]                          0 (Formerly 10)

Alright, that's done.

I wonder, I did explain reasons why I do a little bit of min-maxing, but I never explained why I don't go the "Jack of All Trades" route.

Well, while I head to Hibaien, I'll explain.

You see, in many games, if you evenly distribute your stats, it's almost certain that you'll be average or even less than average. However, the keyword here is 'certain'. "Why?" You may ask. So, let me explain why!

It's simply because there's always the chance that instead of becoming a 'Master of None', you'll become a 'Master of All'! Frightening, isn't it? Anyway, that's why I decided to forego that option. In the first place, I was never really interested in becoming good in everything either.

That over with as well. Let's talk about Hibaien. I didn't really think about it now (Maybe because I was too tired), but what's up with this 'Chopper' nickname? Is it because he's a butcher? Well, 'Swift Sword', uh, something, knew him. I wonder, it can't be a hidden boss, right?

I don't mean boss literally. I mean, is he a retired legendary adventurer? Probably not? Surely, it wouldn't be...

I, uh, really need to ask him. But if he is, what do I do then?

Hmmm...in the end, I don't want to think about it too hard.

When it comes to it, let's just deal with it!

My sleep-deprived brain decided to take a vacation!

Did you know?

One commonly misinterpreted saying would be "Jack of All Trades is a Master of None". If we put this saying in video games, this saying seems quite proven. Splitting stats evenly across all boards will just make you mediocre.

However, if put into a different perspective, why are 'Jack of All Trades' so popular with the masses? Denying it is pointless, the facts are already there. Why else would novels have people transported to the past who know how to make soap, paper, perfumes, and know all types of cooking? Proficient in martial arts, skilled in painting, or an excellent farmer?

So, let's look back towards the original saying. Now, the moral of the quote differs quite a lot.

"A Jack of All Trades is a Master of None, But Oftentimes Better than a Master of One."

I'm not sure if this is really true, but assuming it is, this means min-maxing should be less-than-mediocre, right? Oh, there's also the concept of Master of All, in that regard would a Jack be closer than a Master or-

Hey, wait! Don't fall asleep on me! I'll help you with the stats now, alright?

-"The Theory of Stat Cliches" by ???

17