8. Evil
136 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The orphanage felt really lonely with only three people. But we must do what we must, the days continued.

From today my activity will mostly inside the cursed forest. Matron and Head Temple gave me various equipment, mainly for camping, and to carry all of them without bothering my movement--behold the first magic item I received: a magic bag.

It is the type that was strapped in the waist. It was made with special material and imbued with space magic. It was really amazing. I could even put my staff inside.

Matron said it could hold items equal to a big rucksack and have weight reduction property so I could bring all my stuff without worry.

Let's depart!

...

...

...

It has been roughly one year since I entered this forest. I left the barrier that was marked with stones, and enter a gloomy forest. Although this place was not a death forest, I always felt it was pretty gloomy in the past since the greenery looks...started to wither. If the miasma not stopped by miasmas repelling tree, then all the forest would wither and turn black. Just like the death forest.

I started to sing as I run. My body became lighter and my step became springy.

One of these days I might start to jump from trees to trees. That sounded fun.

In a moment I quickly passed the miasmas repelling tree. Lately, it has become whiter and unlike the first impression I had of it, now it looked somewhat divine.

The death forest still likes before, but perhaps because there were no longer undead around the miasma has become thinner. And lately other than moss and mushroom, I started to see green plants sprout among gloomy blackened trees.

It made me happy.

I quickly reached the part of death forest that only recently I ventured. I always thought I have gone far from the orphanage, but looking back it was not really that far. Then that also means, there were more undead that I need to defeat.

I stopped running and heightened my awareness. This place still has a lot of miasmas. Although area near the gazebo has thinner miasma for some reason, it still dangerous.

I quickly spotted some lesser undead. Two skeletons, and...a zombie dog.

Hmm, the skeletons were not a problem, but the zombie dog needs to be handled with care. Animal type of zombies was pretty strong. Actually most zombies were pretty dangerous. Their movement slow yes, but their strength was immense. Once caught it would be pretty hard to break free.

And animals which move with four feet like dogs usually still pretty fast even after become a zombie.

I guess I need to finish it first.

Good thing it did not has strong miasma aura.

I used protection just in case something went awry. And start to hum as I run toward it.

It quickly noticed me but I was ready.

"High Heal." I used high heal before it could pounce toward me. And quickly finish the other skeletons with heal.

I sighed with relief.

I quickly scanned the surroundings but did not find other undead, so I headed toward the gazebo.

I have cleaned it up so it would be comfortable to take an afternoon nap. Not that I would take one now.

I stuffed the items I would not need for the time being under the table, then hide it using the stones block that I found.

I doubt any robbers would take it, but it would be a problem if animals found it.

Although the item bag has weight reduction it did not completely weightless, to be honest, it was pretty heavy.

I need to start to sweep the area around here. After my load become lighter, I quickly move toward the east.

I planned to move a certain distance to the east then move in half circle to the right.

I also need to know the terrain around here quickly.

The miasmas near the gazebo were pretty light, but outside of them was just the usual.

I continue to alert with my surroundings and also made mental note of the terrain.

Sometimes I found a big stone that should be part of the building, but just like before I did not find anything resembling a building.

I guess except the gazebo, all were leveled to the ground.

...

...

I planned to use the gazebo as the center of my activity and slowly spread outward. But there were two points that I recently noticed.

First, although I would return to the orphanage in the afternoon, I thought it was better if I could secure a water source.

There is no telling what would happen in the future. I noticed it because on the west side of the gazebo there was a small river running from the hill in the distance. The problem is that the water was extremely...dark. It might be poisoned. I need to investigate the source so I could have a clean water source.

Second, in the end, I could not shake off my feeling toward the eerie presence in the distance. It was located in the south, although I don't think I could tackle it now, I need to at least make sure what this eerie presence represents.

And the one that I am about to check is the second one.

Although the first one looked important, it is not my main concern currently. For the second one, if it moved, it might spell disaster. So I need to make sure what is that thing.

I have rested enough and my mana close to full. I also ready to run away when things become dangerous.

Alright, let's go.

The wisps that have been flying around near the gazebo returned to my robe. I quickly kill my presence and advance toward the south.

The trees have blackened and the land cracked in some places.

The miasmas started to become thicker as I advance to the south.

The land filled with gravel. Black gravel. It became slightly hard to walk if not for the shoes.

It became slightly elevated the more I walked. And finally.

I saw it. A wide expanse of grey-black field.

The land looked have been scorched to the ground. Although there was some greyish grass growing here and there, I could not find anything green.

And walking around in the field, were a sea of undead.

And none of them looked common. I could see thick miasma floating around them. Most of them, wore armor and have rusted sword, spear, and even shield. I also could see some of them hold a bow and cane.

It was a nightmare.

Their number should be around in hundreds. Might even reach a thousand.

And the thing, the eerie presence that I felt, was also there.

It was sleeping in an elevated ground, something like a bedrock. I could not see clearly because of the distance, but it should be animal-shaped, like a lion. And it has bat-like wings in its back.

I did not know what it was, but from the presence alone it was strong.

Added with the undead around them, then there is no way I could content against it.

I slowly stepped back.

If they noticed me then I am finished.

I trace back my step and returned toward the gazebo.

Fortunately, none of them noticed me and chase after me.

I sighed with relief as I sat on the stone benches.

That was the most dangerous monster I've ever seen.

And I just remembered what it might be. A manticore. However, it should be not a normal one. I could feel an aura of death like those on undead.

It should be an undead manticore. However, it felt really strong. As if it was not weakened but strengthened instead.

But it is undead so I might...no, the miasmas around it was really thick. It should need a few higher purification to completely wipe it off.

Additionally, getting closer would be a chore. The sea of undead, and most of them were soldier or higher.

I won't be able to handle them no matter how you slice it.

Good thing there was some distance between this place and the plain.

As long I did not intentionally move there they won't attack me.

There were possibilities of them moving, but I could detect its eerie presence even from the gazebo so I should be able to notice if it move.

I guess I need to handle water sources first. Because this would take awhile.

 

2