9. Bounded Memories
55 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since I have decided to secure a water source, I started to head toward the west today.

I could see a high mountain in the distance, but actually the area was not that steep. The small river's water was blackish purple, certainly not something for consumption. But it was not muddy nor sticky at all.

I doubt I could find any fish inside though.

In this death forest, I haven't seen any living animal except some insects. So I guess no one uses this river after all.

It was still unknown whether this purple-black water was already like that since the source or was tainted somewhere along the way. So that was what I need to investigate first.

If it was the former, then nothing I could do. I must seek different sources of water. However if it was the later, it might still possible to salvage.

Although I did say no creature uses the water source, it seemed the habit of the animal still stays even after being dead. I met with a lot of animal bones and zombies, although most of them not really dangerous, their number was pretty troublesome.

Before I could find anything useful, my mana almost depleted so I could only return to the gazebo to rest.

That was repeated for a week... and I did not find anything useful at all.

Well, I did reduce the number of undead though, so I could go further and further every time. There was no need to be impatient.

This place was more dangerous than the death forest around the miasmas repelling trees. I could find skeleton soldiers and zombies more often here. If I let my guard down, I might die.

I did not find another wraith or ghost type monsters though, I guess they were pretty rare after all.

The more I went to the west, the stronger miasmas become. However, I did not feel anything extremely sinister like what I felt with the undead manticore. However, I also felt something oppressive from this direction so I didn't think this would be easy. It was just easier than the hardest. Or something like that.

The path that I took, certainly brought me to higher ground. And walking through the rocky path was pretty difficult, so I need to be extra careful so I would not need to fight against undead with an unsteady foothold.

Sometimes I also purify undead that has fall into the water. Somehow their movement becomes very slow, is that another weakness of undead? I was not sure. But most undead would avoid them so I guess they had bad affinities with water.

Not that it could help with anything now. I could not use water magic and always stay near water to fight undead also not practical.

Hmmm, but that would mean the source of the purple-black colored water should have been different from undead? Or is it a certain mutation of undead?

Well, no use speculating. Let's focus on the thing in front of me first.

It was a big, around two and a half meters tall, rotting flesh. From the shape of the body, it should have been an orc. Orc zombie.

The face has been deformed greatly, and many rotten wounds appeared on its body. In its hand, a big log that it used as a club.

This would be a bit hard.

The miasmas around its body were very thick.

I have confirmed no other undead around when I decided to fight it.

Additionally, my mana was almost full after an afternoon nap, so I should be able to defeat it.

As always, who strikes first, will claim victory!

I quickly cast protection and then greater purification.

Too bad, it noticed me when I cast protection, so I grip my staff strongly.

It moved fast, I guess it has an excellent physical ability when it was alive.

Good thing its movement was pretty simple.

A strong blow from above. I quickly step back to avoid it, and it only hit the ground.

The power was amazing though, I could feel the air torn by that strike.

Focus. Greater purification still needs some time until it activated.

Next, a big swing from the side. I quickly confirm my evasion route and slip between the trees.

Its club hit the tree and it shook greatly and broke.

Now. I moved away from the tree falling trajectory and as the movement of the undead orc stopped for a moment, I cast greater purification to its body.

The miasmas around it quickly dispersed, although not completely disappear.

That's enough.

I quickly slip between trees again and preparing high heal.

It chased me with force and the blackened trees quickly crumble 

This could be bad. Although the trees inside the death forest basically have been contaminated by miasmas and become fragile, the fact that it could break it with easy means its attack power also outstanding.

I doubt I could block it with my staff.

I quickly moved away from its range and falling trees trajectory.

I guess I could only use trees to block its attack. But running too far may make me meet with other undead.

I barely slipped away from the falling tree. Ah, chance.

I noticed it stopped for a moment after the last strike.

"High Heal."

Half its body covered in smoke and I could see it become charred like charcoal. Yet the undead orc still chases after me. Now with frenzied fervor.

Not enough time to evade, then!

Reading the trajectory I used my staff to parry its attack.

Heavy!

I did not block it but only divert its angle, but it was so heavy. I guess my staff and maybe my arm will break if I force myself to block it.

I still need some time until I could use the next high heal.

It should be down after two more high heal.

Or not? To be honest, my mana barely enough for two more high heal, so I hope it would disappear by then.

I took a few steps back. And it lunged toward me. Ugh, this is bad.

Once again I try to divert its attack and jump out the way.

Crackle.

I thought I heard something from my staff.

Oh no.

Focus. Just a little more.

Another side swing.

I ducked.

Diagonal swing. Khh. Can't be helped.

I could not evade in time so I parry it again.

And the worst thing happened.

Clack.

My staff broke.

Focus. "High Heal."

Its body has been enveloped by white smoke and started to crumble in many places.

"GGGGGUUUAAAAKKKKK."

And yet it did not fall.

Should I use hymn and the wisps combination? No. The undead orc was more frenzied than before. And somehow it becomes faster.

And my feeling told me that it won't help.

What I could do now...avoid at all costs!

I quickly jump-rolled out of the way.

Not fast enough!

I need something to block.

In the corner of my eye, I found something like a green stick. Let's hope it won't break right away.

I grabbed it quickly and use it to parry in desperation.

Heavy!

But it did not break! Nice.

Just a bit more. I hope it could parry once again.

Here. Another strike from the undead orc. The green stick felt really pleasant to grip and I quickly adjust it to deflect the attack trajectory.

Heavy, but I did it.

"High Heal."

"KIIIISHHHAAAHHHHHHH"

It started to crumble and turned into ashes.

I took a few steps back just to make sure it did not reach me.

Haah... I did it.

"That was an amazing fight."

"!!!"

There should be no one in this forest.

Then that means, undead? ghost? I quickly jump up and took some distance from the source of the voice and turned my head.

I also instinctively ready the green stick in my hand.

And then I saw the source of the voice.

It was a young woman's....ghost.

She was floating and transparent with white-ish light around her body. Her flowing white hair and lovely face make her look beautiful.

She showed a soft smile while looking at me.

"Nice to meet you. This is the first time I saw humans in this forest for decades. And you could see me, are you a priestess?"

Her voice was clear and I could not detect any malice in it. It seemed she really curious about me. I guess there is no human enter this forest after it becomes a death forest, so my existence must be weird for her. Hmm... Decades? Now that I think about it, since none entered this forest, was she a ghost from when this place still a city? That's a surprise. I heard ghosts usually could not stay long in the world.

Ghosts have no connection with the soul or whatsoever, they were memories. A copy of the living before they were dead. They have personality like before they die, but because they were memories, they would slowly deteriorating over time. They would become corrupted, forgotten their original purpose. A strong desire left behind by the person before they die is what creates them. And thus after the memory deteriorating, only the desire left behind. And it would slowly be twisted because affected by negative emotions in the world. And if they were met with miasmas, they would fuse and create a monster that was known as... wraith.

That's why her existence is amazing in a way. A ghost that did not deteriorate after being here for decades, in this place, a forest filled with miasma.

Because I did not feel any evil intention, I decided to talk to her.

"Hello, nice to meet you. I am Lumie, and no I'm not a priestess."

I smiled. Though I still could not let go of my staff... no, the green stick. Without knowing what's her desire, I still could not let my guard down.

Depend on her desire, I might need to use purification on her. Though personally I prefer if her desire is something that I could resolve. I don't want to purify something that is not evil.

"Hmm... I see. But your light magic is amazing, and the fact that you venture deep in the forest like this. My name is Marina, a magician. Well, was, as you can see, now I am a ghost."

She floated around as if showing the fact that she is a ghost.

"Hey, since you said you are not a priestess. Would you like to become my--no, our successor?"

!?

My grip on the green stick tighten, I did not notice them. A group of ghosts suddenly appeared around me.

A bald giant race, a buffy dwarf,  a big man with a rough face and untrimmed beard, and a young man with a refreshing face.

All of them were ghosts.

I was surrounded.

1