We Meet Again
190 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the distance, an elegant white figure danced with blades of ice as she skillfully dodged the attacks of a giant stone statue with swift movements.

"Wow! It is her," I continued to gape at Senior's proficient abilities as she fluttered around the stone puppet like a butterfly; her wings each slicing at critical locations.

It's been a while since I saw someone so proficient in internal martial arts[1]. To be able to create physical items with Senior's qi[2] alone is impressive, especially for her age.

She must be some top tier genius or something.

Now I prefer external martial arts[3], as it doesn't require me to sit in one place and cultivate.

I mean, who wants to spend their days locked up and waiting to collect qi?

Well, certainly not me, but hey, to each their own.

"Blooming lotus," Senior chanted as suddenly a hoard of sharp icy petals came hurling at the statue. However, the worst part was that I was behind Senior's target.

As in, I was about to be turned into a pincushion!

"Quickly! Somewhere to hide!" Looking around, I spot a rock with characters on it, sitting among a few bushes. Though it wasn't the most idyllic spot, it would have to do for now.

Why is there no cover in the whole place!

The entire area seemed to be atop a peak, as there was no surrounding foliage, aside from the ones on other mountains.

It was just clouds and skies for the most part.

Driving behind the rock, I barely missed icy splinters shot past me and pierced little holes into the open air. "Whoa," scooting my butt back against the rock, I fearfully avoided the edge of a cliff. That was too close!

If I had jumped any further, I would've jumped off this mountain!

After a few deep breaths, I noticed that the attacks had come to a halt.

Did Senior win? Peeking behind the rock, I suddenly jerked myself back. Suddenly, Senior flew my way.

"Ah!" On instinct, I reached out and grabbed onto her arm. Senior almost was thrown off the training ground as she gripped tightly onto my hold. "H-hey, we met again!" I flashed an awkward smile as I laid on my stomach, attempting to pull her back up. Senior's face stained in pain and confusion as she used her other arm to reach out and hold onto the stone surface.

"Look out!"

Rolling to the side just in the nick of time, I brush past the long blade that stabbed the ground where I once laid. "Ah! That was close!" Thankfully, the monster seemed slow as it slowly pulled its long sword from the ground.

Unfortunately, since I jerked to the side, Senior lost her footing on the wall. Now dangling above the dark forest below, I attempted to pull her up with only one arm.  "Uh, little missy, can you pull yourself up?" Anxiously looking to the side, the monster finally has a grip on its sword as it turns in our direction.

Ah! That's not going to be good!

Senior looked up at me and reached out her other hand to grab onto my arm. Considering when the monster could strike and the amount of momentum I would need to pull Senior up, I would be splitting hairs on the difference.

In other words, I needed to act quick!

"Okay, okay," I looked between Senior and the slowly approached monster as they raised their sword above their head. "On the count of three, alright."

"Eh," Senior nodded her head as she watched the monster's movements.

"Okay, okay," I nodded to myself in faux confidence, and I positioned my legs.

"Three!"

Using possibly the most strength I've ever utilized, I threw Senior back onto the training ground and landed on my back.

I hope she wasn't too surprised and was able to manage somehow to land on her feet.

"Oh, sh*t!" Unfortunately, I had other things to worry about, as a broad sword came slicing down towards me. Rolling to the side, again, I narrowly miss its deadly blow!

How is that even possible!

Watching with wide eyes, a piece of the mountain casually breaks off like tofu and slides off! Had I been a second too late, I would've slid off into pieces!

"Get back," suddenly I was yanked off the ground and into the open training ground.

"Senior!" The cold woman merely flicked her eyes at me in acknowledgment before returning her attention to the recovering monster. Thankfully, Senior didn't seem to beat up aside from the few stains on her clean white clothes. 

"Get up. It's coming." Summoning some more icy blades, Senior readied herself for the monster's next move.

Nodding at Senior's orders, I pulled myself off the ground and stood next to Senior. Wiping down the dust on my clothes, I prepared myself for the monster's next move.

I didn't need to wait long as the monster turned its attention to us and charged. Its large sword came down, ready to chop us down in a fluid movement.

In a split movement, the sword came crashing down, and the two of us dodged out of the way.

Geez, how am I supposed to fight this thing? I'm not exactly skilled at fighting stuff from a distance.

Hmm, what to do.

Senior didn't seem to be having any issues as she sent waves of flying blades at the monster.

Ah! Maybe I can ask her to give me an opening. "Hey, Senior! Can you-"

However, before I could even attack the monster, a light blue flash split through the stone beast before crumbling into a pile of rubble.

Mouth slightly ajar, I looked between Senior and the remains of the stone monster. Are you kidding me!

I didn't even get to fight it! Ah, what am I to do now?

Senior didn't seem fazed at the result as her blades dissolved as she approached the pile of stone. Reaching into the rubble, she fished out two shiny pieces of jade about the size of a child's fist. "Here," tossing me one of the jades, she put hers away. "That should be enough for you to pass."

"But I didn't even do anything," I protested as I tossed the jade back, "The loot belongs to you."

Senior caught the jade with ease before throwing it back at me. "Consider it payment for helping me earlier."

"No, I can't accept," I can't pass my exams with someone else's work. Throwing it back once more, Senior seemed slightly annoyed as Senior caught it once more.

"Fine," Senior sighed before turning around to leave. "If you don't want it then-" Throwing back the piece of jade, she disappeared in a whirlwind of dust.

Are you kidding me! Catching the jade before it could fall on the floor, I shook my head at Senior's sneaky trick. "I didn't want to drink the tea, so you force it down my throat instead!?!"

Aiyah! Who knew Senior wouldn't take no for an answer.

Ah, now what. Looking at the small piece of jade in my hand, I rub my thumb over its smooth green surface.

Fine, I suppose if I have no choice, I will hold onto it for now. But when I see you again, Senior, I'm going to force it back into your hand!

However, before I could ponder more about how to hand back the jade to Senior, several puppets dropped down from the sky. However, unlike Senior's one large one, I had to deal with multiple human-sized ones by myself.

Ah, I can never catch a break, can I?

"Alright, rocks," putting away the jade, I rolled up my sleeves. "It's just you and me."

---

"Damn, that was rough," I groaned as I patted my lower back. Who would've thought that fighting against several statues would be so complicated? "They're upping the bar this year."

If I weren't trained in chopping rocks by hand, surely someone else would've broken their fingers before landing a single blow.

"Ah, but at least it's over!"

Ah! Has it been a whole day already!" Checking the back of my badge, it indicated that I had exactly one more left to get out of this maze.

One day!

It took me forever to get out of that one trap, and now I had to find the exit!

"Darn, I should've asked Senior for directions!" Unfortunately, there was no medicine for regret. "But, if the exit is the same as last time…." Oh, I'll be so mad.

Ah, forget it! You only live once.

Covering my eyes with my hands, I project my qi through the sole of my feet.

And wouldn't you know it, there was a faint trail that led me to a large cloud of condensed qi. Not sure if it was safe, but I'll take my chances.

Mustering the last of my nerves and confidence, I brave the journey through the fog. I just hope I make it back in time!

[1] Internal Martial Arts - martial arts styles characterized by soft and flowing movements. They focus on the cultivation of the mind, spirit, and Qi.

[2] Qi - spiritual energy.

[3] External Martial Arts - martial arts styles characterized by fast and explosive movements. They focus on the cultivation of physical strength and agility.

9